ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to Clio Sport

Renault Clio 192
Hello,

I am new to Clio Sport Forum, so please excuse my ignorance!

My son currently owns a 55 reg 192 (I think it is, rather than 182) and he's recently had a nasty accident - country road with mud at side, hit a tree at 40mph. Looking to sell it to a breaker or salvage merchant - what is the best way forward, who might be interested?

We're in Kent
Clio.jpeg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Whoops. Hope he's OK.

It's a 182 .. Engine and wheels are probably the most valuable bits on what looks like a standard car, and I assume the front n/s wheel is possibly toast ?

If they are mint and have decent tyres, you'd get £200 tops for the wheels... maybe £50 a door, and £50 for interior.

Assuming you don't want to go through insurance, I'd just call a local scrappy and you'll get £150 for the car, perhaps.

RenParts are in Yorkshire, but as the engine is very dead, you won't get any more cash for it than a local scrappy - I'd assume anyway.

Renault Clio 192
Whoops. Hope he's OK.

It's a 182 .. Engine and wheels are probably the most valuable bits on what looks like a standard car, and I assume the front n/s wheel is possibly toast ?

If they are mint and have decent tyres, you'd get £200 tops for the wheels... maybe £50 a door, and £50 for interior.

Assuming you don't want to go through insurance, I'd just call a local scrappy and you'll get £150 for the car, perhaps.

RenParts are in Yorkshire, but as the engine is very dead, you won't get any more cash for it than a local scrappy - I'd assume anyway.

Thanks for your advice, very helpful. I think the n/s wheel is okay as he hit the tree in the centre of the car, the tyres are in fairly good condition. He also had a couple of sets of brake pads fitted the week before - as part of MOT work, which it passed a couple of days before the accident!
Don't really want to put it through insurance, just SORN it and get as much for it as possible so he can afford another car..........

Attachments

• Clio 2.jpeg
    Clio 2.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 58

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for your advice, very helpful. I think the n/s wheel is okay as he hit the tree in the centre of the car, the tyres are in fairly good condition. He also had a couple of sets of brake pads fitted the week before - as part of MOT work, which it passed a couple of days before the accident!
Don't really want to put it through insurance, just SORN it and get as much for it as possible so he can afford another car..........

Assume he is young, so you don't want to lose NCB / have the black mark for a while...

Yep .. for the hassle, I'd really just hand it over to a local scrappy.

Buy him a large bottle of T-Cut for Christmas.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Assume he is young, so you don't want to lose NCB / have the black mark for a while...

Yep .. for the hassle, I'd really just hand it over to a local scrappy.

Buy him a large bottle of T-Cut for Christmas.

Buy him something with half the power next time or better tyres.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
A 10mph crash in a Clio looks like a bombs hit it, they fold like a good'un
Maybe because he hit the tree head on . I know when I had a prang in my old 172 many moons ago , I had an argument with a motorway crash barrier going round a bend at 60mph . I hit it with the front offside corner , bounced me across the carriageway then ended up 180* the wrong way round on the hard shoulder there was hell of alot less damage. The Clio held up really well and was repairable.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
A 10mph crash in a Clio looks like a bombs hit it, they fold like a good'un
Not sure if serious ?

Even if that was 30mph into a tree, which doesn't move.. is a lot of energy to take.

The a-pillars arent even damaged..

You do realise that if the car didn't bend, the energy would go to the squishy inhabitant and they'd be all sorts of dead..?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe because he hit the tree head on . I know when I had a prang in my old 172 many moons ago , I had an argument with a motorway crash barrier going round a bend at 60mph . I hit it with the front offside corner , bounced me across the carriageway then ended up 180* the wrong way round on the hard shoulder there was hell of alot less damage. The Clio held up really well and was repairable.

You’d have just slid off the barrier. Like a bar of soap haha

Not sure if serious ?

Even if that was 30mph into a tree, which doesn't move.. is a lot of energy to take.

The a-pillars arent even damaged..

You do realise that if the car didn't bend, the energy would go to the squishy inhabitant and they'd be all sorts of dead..?

Nah what I’m trying to get at is that a Clio front end is mainly plastic and I’ve seen a car park crash at probably 10mph and the car looks like it’s been hit at over 30mph+.

Whereas a Volvo at 10mph would probably not even crack a headlight