ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member- clio 1.2 ph1 project

Clio ph1 1.2 16v
Hey guys/girls,

New to the forum from South Wales

Basically the story is i went with a friend to a yard who was looking for Saxo parts and saw the Clio pictured here (bad photo I know). He wants 60 quid for it, no brainer? ?‍♂️

I’ve yet to purchase yet but am seriously considering a long term project, basically converting it to a 172 stripped track build. Before I commit though I want to do a proper check to make sure the shells not beyond repair, from what I’ve seen it looks good, obviously it needs tlc as it’s been sat for a few years in this yard in the open. So is there any tell tale signs/ things to look out for. I’m not bothered about daily usage, I just need to make sure the shell is good to turn into a track build.

Cheers and thank you.

Attachments

• 3213CC5E-66F3-4C73-ADAC-92655E5A0212.jpeg
    3213CC5E-66F3-4C73-ADAC-92655E5A0212.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 198

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If you put a 172 lump in it you'll find that the roof skin will crease near the sunroof if it's being used solely as a track car, my mate did it and then quickly realised it was a bad idea. Although once his was boosted then it became really apparent it was creasing! lol

Clio ph1 1.2 16v
ahhh damn haha,

Im not at all mechanically savvy so if i sound stupid give me some slack haha
1. are you basically saying putting a 172 lump in will be to heavy for the shell?
2. would putting in cage in strengthen the shell and help stop this?
3. would anything else 172 be an issue for example the suspension and brakes could fit no problem?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its a straight forward swap if you have a doner car but as above sunroof is an issue as the shell isn't as strong. doesn't make it impossible just slightly flawed.
everything bolts straight over but you would need a doner car to do it right so it begs the question is it worth while? buying a similar age probably better condition car to transplant it over into another shell.

the only time I would see it worth while was if you were buying a rusty ph1 172 and transplanting it over into a 57/08 plate shell (one of the last of the mk2)

Clio ph1 1.2 16v
yea thats fair enough, only caught my eye because its 60 quid for a shell that seems in fine condition. The idea was to try and find a category c/d write off to transfer the stuff from but yea if i can find one thats still structurally fine does make more sense to just go with that.

Thanks for the help

Clio ph1 1.2 16v
suppose on another note then, if i still go for this shell just because it is so cheap, what other options would people recommend/seen done in terms of track builds? i've also been offered a vts which runs also for 60 quid so would it make more sense to just go with that or does this little clio have potential as im still pretty keen for a longer term project

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
If you put a 172 lump in it you'll find that the roof skin will crease near the sunroof if it's being used solely as a track car, my mate did it and then quickly realised it was a bad idea. Although once his was boosted then it became really apparent it was creasing! lol

Sorry for digging up an old thread....

Wanted to know.... Would you say if you used a 1.2 shell without a sunroof it would be ok as a 172 conversion and wouldn't cause reflex in the roof?

Cheers! (y)

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry for digging up an old thread....

Wanted to know.... Would you say if you used a 1.2 shell without a sunroof it would be ok as a 172 conversion and wouldn't cause reflex in the roof?

Cheers! (y)
I think the 172 came with a bigger brace in the roof skin compared to the 1.2

He went through 3 shells, a 1.2 8v sunroof, 1.2 16v campus and then he finally bought a white 172 shell😂

People throw away 172 shells, easy enough to get these days

ASH_7R

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I think the 172 came with a bigger brace in the roof skin compared to the 1.2

He went through 3 shells, a 1.2 8v sunroof, 1.2 16v campus and then he finally bought a white 172 shell[emoji23]

People throw away 172 shells, easy enough to get these days

Three shells [emoji23]. That’s sound like a massive effort! Assuming a full cage would have sorted out those issues and stiffened it all up!?

I only ask as I’m going to have a 1.2 shell that I have nothing to do with.. the paint looks good it’s a 2006 and done 36,000 miles so was thinking fulllll track project.. interested to be know what’s possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Three shells [emoji23]. That’s sound like a massive effort! Assuming a full cage would have sorted out those issues and stiffened it all up!?

I only ask as I’m going to have a 1.2 shell that I have nothing to do with.. the paint looks good it’s a 2006 and done 36,000 miles so was thinking fulllll track project.. interested to be know what’s possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first 2 started to crease after going on track at Cadwell but he was notorious with the Police in Donny so swapped shells often. He didn't declare his first one so took a grinder to the RenaultSport logo on the inlet😂 The Police came knocking one day and tried checking engine codes after they chased him down a bypass and lost. He gets pulled more than he changes his pants

Tbh if you were to stiffen it with a half cage that would stop any worries of it twisting up

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
i cant wait to tell the judge hes off his head if he thinks a 20yr old 65hp van does 140mph, the equipent is clearly faulty!!!!!
They ordered him to provide evidence of the engine codes after that I think lol

He worked at Renparts so swapped a 1.2 back in it, took it down to them and got it all ticked off. He's a fuckin idiot😂