ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New guy with a Ph1 172

Hi all - I've been lurking on here for a few weeks so thought I'd better introduce myself...
I've recently sold my (2nd) DC2 Honda Integra Type R that I had owned since 2010... to raise some funds to renovate/restore my 1979 VW Derby - which after purchasing it back in 2004 is now in desperate need of some TLC.

I was able to get a decent price for the Honda, but as it was my daily driver I needed a car to get me from A to B, inspired by my mate's 172 'Exclusive' & realising that an RS Clio could make for an interesting & relatively cheap runaround - whilst at the same having some decent performance to give me the driving thrills that I enjoyed on occasions with the Integra.

As an avid EVO mag reader, I remember the very first phase1 RS Clio being reviewed & the stir it caused - being a proper quick hot-hatch at a time when the competition were playing it safe with rather mild/luke warm sports hatches. And so it was a Phase1 Clio that became the focus of my search - not that I have anything against the Ph2 model, just that I quite like the fact that there seem to be very few Phase1 cars around & the connection/memory of reading that review in EVO.

Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up with rather nice example after spying an advert on Pistonheads;
Its in nice condition - but also it seems to have all the common Clio problems - a leaky boot, airbag/service light on & an oil leak which is likely to be coming from the flywheel side crankshaft bearing....
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Welcome bud, looks nice.

These old PH1 are starting to rust behind the rear 1/4 panels thats why there isnt many about or that they have been converted into track cars.
I owned my old PH1 for 5 years and sold it last year as i bought a impreza.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Best car(s) I ever owned - ph1 172 fan here. Enjoy! Miles better than the ph2 and ph2 cups.

Very tidy mate! Love a nice ph1.

Is your friend Toby by any chance?

Also more pics of dc2's and Derby!

No - the friends name with the Exclusive is Roddy - I think he's a member on here? Will get some pics up of the Integra & Derby when I'm back at my PC :wink: The TypeR was my 'baby' - but am so pleased it's gone to a good home, it was brought by Honda to join their heritage fleet :cool:

This Phase1 has a couple of nice upgrades - Eibach -40mm springs & cup dampers, K-tec stealth cat-back exhaust & K-tec engine mounts (though these seem a little harsh perhaps?) - all seem pretty 'de-rigure' amongst Mk2 RS Clio owners?

I've already cleared the rear arches of the compacted dirt trapped behind them & painted a liberal coating of wax-oil behind them - but I'm a bit worried to hear about rust issues..... the Integras are renowned for rusting on the rear quarters from the inside out - which is partly why you see so few original UK model cars left on our roads :confused:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Looks great, have just bought one myself although yours looks more standard than mine, will be getting behind all the arches as soon as I can, any plans for it?

Looks great, have just bought one myself although yours looks more standard than mine, will be getting behind all the arches as soon as I can, any plans for it?

Ah - I spotted your thread mintno1 - your phase1 looks great too! I don't really have any plans as such, would like to rectify the car's little problems that I've already described & generally keep it well maintained. The idea of this car is that I don't want it to cost me too much money.... any spare cash I have will be spent on the VW Derby.... well that's the intention!

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Ah - I spotted your thread mintno1 - your phase1 looks great too! I don't really have any plans as such, would like to rectify the car's little problems that I've already described & generally keep it well maintained. The idea of this car is that I don't want it to cost me too much money.... any spare cash I have will be spent on the VW Derby.... well that's the intention!

Mine's a little rough around the edges but runs/goes well and just needs a little tinkering with which is exactly why I bought it :) Did you buy it from Aylesbury? Think I chatted to the guy who was selling if you did, just can't remember if that advert was on Pistonheads or not

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The solid engine mounts will cause a little cabin vibration. I dont find them too harsh but its down to personal preference.

You can buy powerflex bushes to go into the original mount (Engine side) or you can replace them with a Kangoo one which is the same fitment but 1/2 the price because it doesnt say sport in the part number!

Mine's a little rough around the edges but runs/goes well and just needs a little tinkering with which is exactly why I bought it :) Did you buy it from Aylesbury? Think I chatted to the guy who was selling if you did, just can't remember if that advert was on Pistonheads or not

Yes, that's the one - was advertised on Pistonheads (think it was on GumTree also) - the seller was a nice guy & very honest about the car, he's also a big Renault fan & seemed to have owned a good few in his time, which gave me a good vibe about the sale. The car isn't perfect by any means, but for a 16 yr old car it's in great condition - just the odd scuff & scratch here & there & some odd bubbling to the paint on both front & rear bumpers, but nothing too major to detract from its O/A clean appearance. Out of interest was there any particular reason why you didn't go for it yourself?

Ordinarily I'm not a massive fan of silver cars, but these have a real sparkle to them :cool:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yes, that's the one - was advertised on Pistonheads (think it was on GumTree also) - the seller was a nice guy & very honest about the car, he's also a big Renault fan & seemed to have owned a good few in his time, which gave me a good vibe about the sale. The car isn't perfect by any means, but for a 16 yr old car it's in great condition - just the odd scuff & scratch here & there & some odd bubbling to the paint on both front & rear bumpers, but nothing too major to detract from its O/A clean appearance. Out of interest was there any particular reason why you didn't go for it yourself?

No reason other than I was stuck working in Manchester and wouldn't have been able to get to see it for a couple of weeks so didn't take it any further, I would have gone and seen it if I was at home but I was interested because he was nice and honest in the advert and seemed genuine

I think my Phase1 has a steel bonnet - its not massively light & I did feel a slight attraction when I held a magnet against it.
The Titanium Silver really does 'pop' especially under artificial lighting after dark.

This was the Integra that I have most recently sold.... my first one I had in the early 2000s & was numbered 0018 (one of the 1st 1998 cars) - this one is one of the last UK Integras & didn't have a number on the little 'TypeR' Plaque. As I said the car was sold back to Honda & was in really great condition & had only clicked over to 53K miles - Honda Heritage have apparently already got it in their bodyshop making sure it is absolutely perfect.

To be honest the DC2 Integra is another level up compared to the Clio in terms of composure & handling on the road - but actual straight-line performance doesn't actually feel that much different - except that with the Honda's LSD & equal length driveshafts there's no torque steer - you just point it in the right direction & go... the Clio feels like you have to 'hang on' to it a bit more. Steering also feels vague on the Clio by comparison... but then sometimes the sharpness & feedback of the Integra's steering was somewhat tiring when driving it on a daily basis.

DSC01652.JPG

This is the VW Derby (MK1 Polo saloon) - Mine is a MKf with the facelift grille & plastic bumpers. Its a completely different 'thing' compared to the Honda & Clio - its low & slow & 100% retro! I've owned it since early 2004, brought from a guy in Surrey, having only covered around 24Kmiles it was in incredible condition for its age, the below photo was probably taken when it was looking its best. Unfortunately its deteriated a little since & having been let down by a local bodyshop guy who said he'd take it in for some bodywork & a re-spray, its now sitting partially dismantled looking quite sorry for itself! Hence the sale of the Honda.... to fund the work needed on the VW.

Derby T49 Photo.jpg

The solid engine mounts will cause a little cabin vibration. I dont find them too harsh but its down to personal preference.

You can buy powerflex bushes to go into the original mount (Engine side) or you can replace them with a Kangoo one which is the same fitment but 1/2 the price because it doesnt say sport in the part number!

Thanks for the advice! To be honest I'm getting used to the vibration through the cabin (which is like sitting in a car with the idle set too low) - what I'm not getting used to is the notchy feeling accelerator pedal & equally awkwardly high clutch (which also seems a bit notchy also) So driving the little Clio smoothly at the moment is rather taking some getting used to!

Night time shot (taken just after picking the car up) showing how the silver paint really highlights its curves under street lamps :cool:
IMG_0696.JPG

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Give the throttle a clean up buddy, and also get a new £3 gasket too.
Sorry to jump in don't suppose you know the part number for the gasket :) it's on my list of things to do along with the new accelerator cable I have just ordered

dan's cast offs.
you need to centralise the throttle butterfly as well, return spring pulls them over and they end up sticking.

@DerbyDan Have you got any plans for it, mods wise?

Not really - just going to use it, I'm sure it won't be as reliable as I would have hoped.... it seems these cars do need constant attention! I will of course keep on top of any maintenance that needs doing & I intend to solve the issues it currently has, I'm really hoping the airbag light is simply one of the plugs under the front seats - wiggling the wires as the seller suggested he did with temporary success doesn't seem to have any effect, I've already had the plugs apart & cleaned them with electrical cleaner but with no luck. I'll cut & solder on some new plugs & see if the lights go out, otherwise I'd be stumped!

I'll also try removing the throttle body & give it a clean up as you recommend & see if this helps the notchy feeling on the accelerator pedal - it's strange as its only when the car is running that it is notchy, with the engine off its smooth.

Having read through the project thread on your car, it's sad that it ended up being scrapped, I'm pretty sure these phase1 Clios are on the verge of classic status, which will possibly mean that prices may rise & therefore hopefully they will become worth saving/spending money on to keep them going.

In the end i hope it doesn't cost me too much money.... all my spare cash I want saved for the VW Derby.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I think your right with them being on the verge. I wished I kept it but at the time it didn't make sense to. Mine was iceberg so 1 of 99. It had zero rust too! 😧

But I did have the same issues with you on the airbag light. I just used to wiggle the wires under the seat and they went out. Must be a common issue.

You got nothing to lose by soldering on new plugs.

Welcome, but it feels a crying shame you had to sell the DC2.

Thank you :smile: I'd owned the DC2 for almost 7 years & the first one back in the early 2000s for 3, so yes, I will miss it - But i feel like I've had my time with them. They are amazing cars & 100% live up to the hype, I driven many different performance 'drivers' cars & I can quite honestly say that they are up there with the best despite being fwd (in fact being front wheel drive defines what they are). Integra TypeRs were certainly at one time a real performance 'bargain' but with good ones now so few & far between, those cars are now fetching good money & I can only see their values rise further. Mine was in great condition, but I could sense that another winter or two being used daily as I did (& with no garage) it was going to deteriate (mechanically they are pretty solid & reliable, but rust is their enemy) - so it only seemed fair to sell it on to someone who could look after it better.... I don't think it could have gone to a better home.

DC2 looks well smart
Sure I know that Derby, you on Clubpolo?

The DC2 was nice - definitely one of the nicer ones left!

I'm on ClubPolo - but haven't been on their for years, likewise the Mk1 Polo forum & RetroRides (used to be on those all the while!) Have been to a few of the Polo shows in the past in the Derby so you may also have seen it at one of those??..... Quite scary to think how long I've owned it for!!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Night time shot (taken just after picking the car up) showing how the silver paint really highlights its curves under street lamps :cool:View attachment 165415
That does look very nice. I can't remember the last time I saw a MK1 out in the wild. I hope it does'nt give you too much trouble and you can just enjoy driving it. I suspect it will get under your skin and consume some of that Derby budget.

That does look very nice. I can't remember the last time I saw a MK1 out in the wild. I hope it does'nt give you too much trouble and you can just enjoy driving it. I suspect it will get under your skin and consume some of that Derby budget.

I thought the same (which is partly why I was particularly looking for a Ph1) But on the very evening I picked it up from Aylesbury - I got overtaken by another Titanium Phase1 (& have since seen another) - the driver gave me a 'knowing' nod & a thumbs up :cool:

I see plenty of phase2 mk2 RS Clios about on the roads, but there does seem to be a good number of phase1 cars on this forum.

Phase1 172
Hi all - I've been lurking on here for a few weeks so thought I'd better introduce myself...
I've recently sold my (2nd) DC2 Honda Integra Type R that I had owned since 2010... to raise some funds to renovate/restore my 1979 VW Derby - which after purchasing it back in 2004 is now in desperate need of some TLC.

I was able to get a decent price for the Honda, but as it was my daily driver I needed a car to get me from A to B, inspired by my mate's 172 'Exclusive' & realising that an RS Clio could make for an interesting & relatively cheap runaround - whilst at the same having some decent performance to give me the driving thrills that I enjoyed on occasions with the Integra.

As an avid EVO mag reader, I remember the very first phase1 RS Clio being reviewed & the stir it caused - being a proper quick hot-hatch at a time when the competition were playing it safe with rather mild/luke warm sports hatches. And so it was a Phase1 Clio that became the focus of my search - not that I have anything against the Ph2 model, just that I quite like the fact that there seem to be very few Phase1 cars around & the connection/memory of reading that review in EVO.

Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up with rather nice example after spying an advert on Pistonheads;
Its in nice condition - but also it seems to have all the common Clio problems - a leaky boot, airbag/service light on & an oil leak which is likely to be coming from the flywheel side crankshaft bearing....View attachment 165265View attachment 165266View attachment 165267
Old thread i know. But I've just bought that car that was in that magazine you mentioned 😊