ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clutch higher

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So the clio had a new gearbox and genuine valeo clutch fitted. Ever since the clutch biting point has been pretty high, higher than it was before.
I have tried disconnecting the clutch cable and resetting the clutch adjuster by pressing it loose a few times but it didnt help.

Any ideas? The release bearing was slightly different to the one that came off, but unsure if this would make a difference?

20190903_114619.jpg
20190903_115612.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I’d say that’s deffo due to the release bearing. The new item appears thicker in profile which is why the pedal would be higher at the bite point. The pedal needs to move a greater distance before the bite point is achieved.

Assuming a non genuine release bearing?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I’d say that’s deffo due to the release bearing. The new item appears thicker in profile which is why the pedal would be higher at the bite point. The pedal needs to move a greater distance before the bite point is achieved.

Assuming a non genuine release bearing?
Genuine with the Valeo Kit, we weren't keen on fitting it due to it being different but seems this is the updated design.

Not 'Renault', but their clutch kits are Valeo anwyay

monaco 172
My clutch was higher after fitting a new valeo.

I think the reason they go low is because the springs on the diagram flex more on the old ones before releasing the clutch.

Higher the better for me, makes changes much easier.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
My clutch was higher after fitting a new valeo.

I think the reason they go low is because the springs on the diagram flex more on the old ones before releasing the clutch.

Higher the better for me, makes changes much easier.
Feels odd to me, much preferred it before!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Feels odd to me, much preferred it before!
I think mine was higher with a new valeo clutch kit when I built the 230 motor tbh, but I seem to recall it did drop a tad lower after a few miles were put on it. You may also find your clutch ratchet isn’t resetting properly. I had to get a bit medieval with mine 😂

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I think mine was higher with a new valeo clutch kit when I built the 230 motor tbh, but I seem to recall it did drop a tad lower after a few miles were put on it. You may also find your clutch ratchet isn’t resetting properly. I had to get a bit medieval with mine 😂
Must have done around 1,000 miles now since the box re-fresh! No change just yet.

I did play around with unplugging it and yanking it around but wasn't really sure what I was meant to do to get the auto adjuster re-set haha.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
When mine had a new Valeo I found quite a bit of judder on take up. Took a good 1000 miles to bed in too. Odd as the RMS was done at the same time and the flywheel face was flat & true.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Must have done around 1,000 miles now since the box re-fresh! No change just yet.

I did play around with unplugging it and yanking it around but wasn't really sure what I was meant to do to get the auto adjuster re-set haha.
There’s a guide on here for resetting it somewhere mate, so it’s worth checking you’re doing it right. 👍🏻

Westfield, 182, 200
When mine had a new Valeo I found quite a bit of judder on take up. Took a good 1000 miles to bed in too. Odd as the RMS was done at the same time and the flywheel face was flat & true.
Mine did this too. I fitted a new top gearbox mount when I did the cambelt, and it's a lot better now.