ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N/S gearbox driveshaft boot on a 182

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Does anyone find that theirs gets a little oil/grimy around where the gearbox seal/boot is clipped to the bearing on the N/S shaft? It doesnt drip oil but it does seem to have a bit of greasy oil residue on it. ive replaced the boot with a new one and a new clip on the bearing done with a proper CV boot crimp tool. I guess if its not leaking/dripping it'll be fine, probably just me being paranoid.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
As you know, I’ve recently changed my N/S shaft twice and am a little precious about it, so I have been checking it regularly. Mine has stayed dry in about 500 miles and a trackday.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
As you know, I’ve recently changed my N/S shaft twice and am a little precious about it, so I have been checking it regularly. Mine has stayed dry in about 500 miles and a trackday.

Think mine is just grime on the back of the disc that sits in front of the bearing on the shaft which gets a bit runny when hot, I guess it’ll subside over time or if I clean it. I changed the seal/boot for a new one as the one I had on the second hand shaft, whilst it was still sealing with a new clip fitted, was however exposing the end of bearing which you could see from above. Comparing it to the new one - the ends that slide over and cover the bearing fully were splayed a bit with age outwards so when fitted it was pulling off the bearing ever so slightly.
A little thing I know but I wanted it right

As you can maybe see in the picture of how it was before pulling off the bearing slightly

8bfda1d4c6a1323c830af435bf1c6efa.jpg

renault clio 1.4 16v
they do seem to seep through the bearing a bit, does not seem to effect the level much between services on mine though...

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Well it was dry for a short while - took it on a 60 mile round trip yesterday and checked the back of the disc on the driveshaft and there was touch of gear oil on it. My thinking is maybe I over filled the box as I did use a large diameter hose to fill the box, I opened the butterfly level nut up today and 200ml maybe ran out but not loads. Very confusing this as the boot and clip on the bearing are as tight as possible and can’t be pulled off or moved and as said the boot is new.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Motor factors jobby, binned the box so not a clue on manufacturer but not a genuine one I’m afraid. Going to monitor it for a bit I think

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Thing is it seems quite a nice fit, even the genuine Renault one I had one before did a similar sort of thing (even if it was a bit worn on the ends)
Just out of interest when the box has the 3.1 litres of oil on it should this bearing by fully submerged in the oil or is it just splash lubricated? Not that you’d be able to tell once it’s all bolted together mind you I guess

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Odd one from me again here
I still get occasional leaks of oil from where the boot/clip is attached the bearing on the shaft.
It can go for days with it being bone dry and I can drive the car very very hard and nothing happens, yet today I had 3 people in the car and was doing a lot of a town driving/ full lock stuff and got home and the ran my finger round the clip ( as doing this is a regular/daily thing for me now) and it was sopping wet with gearbox oil. the clip is on the bearing tight as can be - I used the proper size clips with a crimp tool.
I’ve let a bit of box oil out the filler hole as it may have been a tad over filled but I’ve tried that method before and it doesn’t seem to correlate between the leaks and non leak days? I think a new full shaft from k-tax might be on the cards soon if it carries on causing me problems.
Also when I pull the shaft (saucy!) in and out there is a clunking noise and a bit of play but i
assume this is just tolerance in the plunge bearing on the cvs and the weird arrangement of how these shafts fit in the box.
Has any one got any advice why this may be?
The gearbox seal was a non oem one also

Clio f1 r27
You really have to check and check again that the boot at the box end has fully sealed in the housing. Get it clean and dry. Making sure it does fold in on its self.

If the shaft can be moved more the about 1.5/2mm back and forth between the hub and gearbox, it's new shaft time

Inferno 182 & Saxo
You really have to check and check again that the boot at the box end has fully sealed in the housing. Get it clean and dry. Making sure it does fold in on its self.

If the shaft can be moved more the about 1.5/2mm back and forth between the hub and gearbox, it's new shaft time

Its sealing at the box end no problem, its the seal on the little bearing that the shaft passes through and how this is clamped. I would doubt the movement in and out is anywhere near 2mm as well

Clio f1 r27
You maybe better off with a jubilee clip around it rather then the clip they use.

You can only get a certain amount of clamping force with a standard clip. In your case you may just need a little more of which the jubilee will give you.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I suppose I could try a jubilee with the insert so it makes a the clamp load around the full circumference but renault use the crimped clips themselves and generally dont have issues. What I find is most jubilees are too wide then they actually make the ends of the boot lip splay apart off the bearing rather than sitting nicely over it with the lip of the rubber boot sitting up against the back of the bearing itself.
Oh for a normal gearbox oil seal and driveshaft!

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
looking to replace my boot but there are 2 sizes. Which size did you use if you can recall? Think there's 25 & 28 mm. Also did it come with a bearing?

thanks

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Im not sure what size it was off the top of my head as I'd pinched it from a J&R shaft though i've actually removed it and fitted a used genuine one instead now as the J&R one would seep oil so I dont think it was a very good fit to the bearing - joke really, they cant even make a decent rubber boot let a lone a driveshaft!
Genuine new ones come with a bearing I believe, though i'm not actually sure how you actually remove the old one - i'm guessing its just an interference fit unless its held on with a circlip as i've not really looked