ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mystery Gearbox Leak

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So walked in the garage last month to find the clio had dumped all its gearbox oil over the floor over winter.
It was pretty gunked up under there and i couldnt quite source where the leak was from. Iv cleaned it all up and topped the box back up with some fresh random box oil i had just to find where its leaking from.
Any likely seals etc that it could be? Is it possible that because iv fitted coilovers over winter and got around 3 degree camber on the front it could have the driveshaft sitting differently/with a worn seal and leaking from there?

Im aware without looking at the car yourself its opening an endless box of potential answers but just scratching my head on this one as no noticeable trace of the leak

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Casing halves can leak around the sealing face, diff seals can leak, selector shaft seal, or the n/s driveshaft rubber boot could have leaked. Unlikely on that one though as the oil level is lower than the boot.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks bud. Thinking of just replacing the seals (selector seal, diff seal) and hoping for the best lol
Which seal is it that sits behind the passengers driveshaft? I remember seeing it before when i changed the driveshafts.
Hoping its the selector seal if im honest

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks bud. Thinking of just replacing the seals (selector seal, diff seal) and hoping for the best lol
Which seal is it that sits behind the passengers driveshaft? I remember seeing it before when i changed the driveshafts.
Hoping its the selector seal if im honest
You’ll need to remove the box and strip it down to replace the selector shaft seal. There’s no seal behind the passenger shaft mate - it’s a boot that’s on the driveshaft similar to a cv boot. It’s held secure with 3 8mm bolts.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Managed to get time to check it again, its definitely leaking, doesnt look like the selector shaft bit as oil is at a higher level that that is. Theres afew drops accumulated in the blue circle and around the drain plug and seems to have a very light trail from the yellow circle area. Any suggestions on what may be causing it? @NorthloopCup
20190406_135418.jpg