ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Inferno Story...

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
As the title suggests this is the story of my Monaco thus far, it is my 2nd Renault Sport Clio the 1st also having been a Monaco 172 which i had for 5yrs, sold for a 2.5 ST Focus and instantly regretted for 6 months until this little beaut came along.
IMG_8386.JPG

2 owner 73k full dealer history, I had been looking all over for a decent low miler 182 and this came up locally so had to have it. Even though I said I would never have a 172 in Monaco again.

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
The noise from the BMC CDA was loud but I wanted louder!! I took the original Fatty intake setup an changed it to my own "k-Tec" design/style for half the price!!
IMG_8471.JPG

What to do when your car sounds like its on bodies?? meet up with mates who also own Sports...
IMG_8395.JPG

IMG_8392.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Parts started coming fast as I tried to make it my own car with my own little mods... some sheepish one haha
Fabia VRS Splitter, Iridium and silver vision indicators, full LED bull upgrade... sides, glovebox, map lights, boot and numberplate all changed.
IMG_8429.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Next to come along was a Cup spoiler for the massive price of £60, it was the wrong shade of blue and the light had the tiniest chip in it, so of to the paint shop and local dealership to order a new light.
IMG_8467.JPG

Fitted...
IMG_8649.JPG

Its suprising how just a little spoiler can change the arse end...
IMG_8650.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Next on was the private reg on local Renault dealer plates and a battery cover, nothing major but all the little details count haha
IMG_8657.JPG

I was after an enclosed on but was unable to source one at the time... Still tidies the bay though
IMG_8680.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Next up was a full brake re-fresh, Brembo HC discs, Mintex 1144 pads, OEM rear Brembo discs and pads. At the same time I managed to source
some 16" OZ F1's for £180.
IMG_8405.JPG

These were promptley set off to the local powder coaters...
IMG_8479.JPG

IMG_8473.JPG
And who couldnt resist a test fit again... before being wrapped in new Pirelli P-Zero's
IMG_8477.JPG

IMG_8775.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
What was lacking in the engine bay was the cover... sourced from fleaby for £20 and rattle can painted 432 Monaco complete with new 2.0L 16V sticker
IMG_8797.JPG

IMG_8800.JPG
IMG_8814.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Whilst saving for a suspension refresh other little mods were done... Bee sting ariel, washer blanks and bullets
Someone for an unknown reason removed the bumper jets... Ignore the bug splats haha
IMG_9111.JPG

Changed to regular gromets as im not a fan of the washer blanks...
IMG_9113.JPG

My own attempt at colour coding the bullets, not the best finish in the world but I'm happy with them.
IMG_9166.JPG

At the same time as painting the bullets I got some clear side repeators from a local scrap yard for £2 and fitted them. Who wants to pay £18 for one from Renault!!??
IMG_9185.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
This next one is not going to be to eveyones taste but I had to do it!! Cup racer style headlight... as for the legality of this mod... errrrrr I never got stopped for it :tongueclosed: It was however promptly taken out as the winter nights started to draw in and I needed to see at night when driving lol
IMG_8872.JPG
IMG_8873.JPG
IMG_9261.JPG
IMG_9263.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
During the summer I noticed that my exhaust system was blowing at the rear box, upon getting under the car it was dicovered that the whole system was knacked. The cat had split, it was blowing at the centre join and the rear box had more holes in it than material was hold it together. The issue is there are not many choices for the 172 systems so a call was placed to K-Tec for a full 2.5" SuperSports Stealth System including a sports cat.
IMG_9555.JPG
IMG_9557.JPG
IMG_9558.JPG

Shortly after fitting the common mount issue showed itself as the new OEM I had failed after 2 weeks, on to ebay and order a PowerFlex bush.
IMG_9572.JPG

What chew to put in!!!
IMG_9573.JPG
Much better postioning...
IMG_9575.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
With the Monaco breathing right and exhausting well the next option was to see what damage I had actually done to the engine with my "mods", a trip down to Essex to see Andy at Engine Dynamics would reveal all.
IMG_0700.JPG
She pulled 150.1lbs ft and 170.3bhp Peak on her 1st base run... 2 and a half hours later Andy had smoothed my power drop off and gained me 10.5lbs ft and 12.5bhp peak whilst raising my engine limit from 7200rpm to 7550rpm. Not big numbers by any means but it has transformed the car and quote from Andy "one of the strongest stockish engine he's seen in a while" I was made up :grin:
IMG_0709.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
With winter impending the stock 172 wheels where put back on but looked hidden in the arches, a deal was done with @182_steve for his 16mm hubcentric spacers after he had got his hands on some Turini's and the combo wasn't working for him.
Before an afters... not sure if i'll keep them on when the Oz go back on in the summer due to the difference in ET's
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0806.JPG

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
Lastly and the most recent upgrade was to the engine, a PowerFlex upper mount was fitted in 10mins on the drive last week. I like the way its made the engine feel under acceleration but idle :pensive:
I am unsure if i should do the Dog bone mount as yet as I hear this can cause even more vibration??
IMG_0892.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG

Just before christmas I treated her to a good bath as it hadn't been washed since the remap in November...
De-contaminated with Muc-Off Spray, washed with Juicy shampoo, dried with an Auto Finesse Aqua Deluxe Towel, Meguiars Clay barred, rinised and dried again, trims and grills blacked, Glass inside an out, 2 coats of Auto Glym Ultra Deep shine polish for dark cars, 2 coats of G3 Supergloss wax then buffed to within an inch of its life!! No more baths till spring!!
IMG_0875.JPG
IMG_0877.JPG

Future plans are:- Steering wheel, Buckets, Cage and possibly a set of 197/200 Brembos...

At last we have a thread :laughing::kissingheart:

Great read buddy and just shows how much you've done to the car since you bought it, good stuff! Looking at that graph again that power figure is fantastic, all equals a good healthy engine mate................ keep this updated :up:

t90_lle

East of England
ClioSport Area Rep
nope, there are two different variations of the 16" oz. one has oz racing (?) around the rim.

I didn't know that, mine are smooth around the rim

At last we have a thread :laughing::kissingheart:

Great read buddy and just shows how much you've done to the car since you bought it, good stuff! Looking at that graph again that power figure is fantastic, all equals a good healthy engine mate................ keep this updated :up:

I will mate, about time I pulled my finger out an done one haha