ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 seems to have shorter gearing than other Clios....

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
At Snetterton last year I was hitting the limiter in 4th and had to change up to 5th on the long straight. Despite this my top speed was still less than my mate in his 182, and he didn’t even hit the limiter in 4th.
So for comparison I made a side by side video of my car against a 172 Clio Cup (at Castle Combe) and again I my gearing definitely seemed shorter.

Are the ratios of the different boxes fitted to 172s, 172 Cups & 182s different? I understand my July 2003 boggo standard 172 has a JC130 ‘box.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The 129’s, 130’s and the Ph1 089 all have the same 1st to 5th ratios. The 089 has a different final drive ratio though making it slightly longer. Not noticeable in the real world though.
I would suggest checking your gearbox casing numbers to see if someone’s pulled a fast one and swapped the boxes out at some point for a non sport box

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
The 129’s, 130’s and the Ph1 089 all have the same 1st to 5th ratios. The 089 has a different final drive ratio though making it slightly longer. Not noticeable in the real world though.
I would suggest checking your gearbox casing numbers to see if someone’s pulled a fast one and swapped the boxes out at some point for a non sport box
Interesting if it has been swapped, it’s made it a quick accelerating car!

Where on the casing can I find the numbers?

Thanks ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Interesting if it has been swapped, it’s made it a quick accelerating car!

Where on the casing can I find the numbers?

Thanks ?
The numbers are on the underside of the casing mate:
509FAE8D-6629-4A25-80C8-3F65CD5EED40.png

Let me know what numbers you find.