ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio DCi Daily

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
After around 6 months you will, then it'll get so bad you'll need to give the priming bulb a few squirts everytime you try and start it. Why cheap out on something that needs changing every ~50k[emoji23]

You'd be surprised at how many aftermarket K9K filters are utter s**t

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Why spend money on a £200 van! Our driving school cars do just as many trouble free miles on the crossland filters that they do on the factory filters, not an issue.

Kangoo, XJ, Jeep GC
I haven't got any parts prices yet from Renault, but is it main dealers all the way for air / oil / fuel / pollen filters then ?

What about cam belt and aux belt kits ? Any particular brands to stay away from ?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't got any parts prices yet from Renault, but is it main dealers all the way for air / oil / fuel / pollen filters then ?

What about cam belt and aux belt kits ? Any particular brands to stay away from ?
Air filter, doesn't matter
Oil filter, Purflux is OE
Fuel filter, I tend to ONLY use Delphi which is OE
Pollen Filter, doesn't matter

Cambelts and AUX, stick with a Gates powergrip kit. It's OE and the bearings on the rollers won't just blow up after a year

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just a small update.

After securing the battery properly, I’ve still been having the battery light come on for the first 10-15 seconds on a cold start, after being sat overnight.
So I think the battery is dropping below a certain charge. As the light soon goes out and doesn’t re-appear for the rest of the day.

I’ve bought a new battery, as the one on the car doesn’t look far off original. I did check earth and wires around the alternator and they look fine. So I’m starting with the cheapest thing first, and what I think is the problem. But I have had a quick look at replacement alternators...just in case... ??

Cambelt is still on my to do list.

My house is almost finished now, so I’ll probably just throw some money at this and get all the jobs done in one, once it’s completed.

I am actually going to start taking pictures too ?. Not just writing stuff.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just a small update.

After securing the battery properly, I’ve still been having the battery light come on for the first 10-15 seconds on a cold start, after being sat overnight.
So I think the battery is dropping below a certain charge. As the light soon goes out and doesn’t re-appear for the rest of the day.

I’ve bought a new battery, as the one on the car doesn’t look far off original. I did check earth and wires around the alternator and they look fine. So I’m starting with the cheapest thing first, and what I think is the problem. But I have had a quick look at replacement alternators...just in case... ??

Cambelt is still on my to do list.

My house is almost finished now, so I’ll probably just throw some money at this and get all the jobs done in one, once it’s completed.

I am actually going to start taking pictures too ?. Not just writing stuff.

Did you test the battery with a multi meter?

Cambelt stuff - i have just ordered it all. Came in at £160 delivered for everything, both full belt kits, waterpump and coolant.

Yes, get some pictures up! Its like a book without pictures in it... boringggg lol.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Did you test the battery with a multi meter?

Cambelt stuff - i have just ordered it all. Came in at £160 delivered for everything, both full belt kits, waterpump and coolant.

Yes, get some pictures up! Its like a book without pictures in it... boringggg lol.

Nope ???? I haven’t got one, but it’s peace of mind for me by changing it anyway.

That’s a good price! I REALLY want to do the belt myself, but im still considering giving it to my mates garage to do, again, for peace of mind ?
I’d have a go if it was a project car etc - but I’ve not tackled a timing belt before and I dont want to be stuck having a go doing it on a Saturday and no garages open on a Sunday, if I’m stuck/mess it up ?

Exactly, pictures will be coming!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Nope ???? I haven’t got one, but it’s peace of mind for me by changing it anyway.

That’s a good price! I REALLY want to do the belt myself, but im still considering giving it to my mates garage to do, again, for peace of mind ?
I’d have a go if it was a project car etc - but I’ve not tackled a timing belt before and I dont want to be stuck having a go doing it on a Saturday and no garages open on a Sunday, if I’m stuck/mess it up ?

Exactly, pictures will be coming!

Yea, sounds like it needs changing anyway but the multimeters are cool. Id wanted one for ages and it only cost £8. Good to have for the glow plugs in the future too...

I think its a good price too. Gates kits from motor factors were coming in at the same price!

Theres a really good video on youtube showing you how to do it. Its 28 minutes long! I admit though, even after watching it a couple of times i still wouldnt be confident doing it fully on my own. Is there no one who knows what they are doing can come and help / guide you through it? That way you know its done properly and also know how to do it yourself next time.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
So, I’ve changed the battery and I still get a little ‘battery/STOP’ light coming on, just first thing in the morning, when the cars been stood.

The light flickers on and off though, it’s not constant.. so obviously that tells me there’s a loose wire somewhere? But I’m confused because it goes out after 10 seconds or so.

Any pointers? Alternator showing it’s age?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
So, I’ve changed the battery and I still get a little ‘battery/STOP’ light coming on, just first thing in the morning, when the cars been stood.

The light flickers on and off though, it’s not constant.. so obviously that tells me there’s a loose wire somewhere? But I’m confused because it goes out after 10 seconds or so.

Any pointers? Alternator showing it’s age?

When my 182 did this it was the alternator! I just ignored it and then one day the alternator started smoking.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Just a little update on this little tank...I’ve not done much at all to it, apart from drive it and fit a tyre.

It’s now on 124,000 miles, which means I’ve done 6,000 miles in it already! It’s just lapping up the mileage.

I do however intend on spending 1-2 days on the car over the Easter weekend, so I am stock piling parts to change.

On a positive note, a day after changing the battery - the flickering stop light has completely stopped. :D

Plenty of updates to come next weekend :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If the battery doesn’t resolve your flickering light issue check the pulley on the alternator, the dampener goes in them occasionally and the pulley just spins without turning the alternator. You’ll smell it if that’s happening though!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If the battery doesn’t resolve your flickering light issue check the pulley on the alternator, the dampener goes in them occasionally and the pulley just spins without turning the alternator. You’ll smell it if that’s happening though!

Cheers for the help! Thankfully the issue sorted itself with a new battery! :D

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Update 19/04/2019

Good day today! I’d kind of neglected the car over the last 5-6 weeks, I knew the brakes needed doing, just didn’t have time. Also, the rear wheel bearing/bearings started whining really bad.

So today, it was a veryyyyyy long, tiring day. The car tested me today ??? but in the end, all was well and the car drives the best it ever has ???

So, started on the rear wheel bearings first, straight forward enough. Removed the drum off the passenger side and the bearing just fell out, it was completely shattered. So it was definitely that side causing the rumble. But both have been changed for good measure.

Then, new Eicher discs/pads. First time taking the front wheels off the car today..
2 rounded locking wheel nuts greeted me.! ?? spent 2 hours getting them off..! Finally got them off and made a start on the brakes. Discs and pads off, and then I realise ECP have given me the wrong brake pads. So another delay there, having to use another car to go and get them.
Correct pads collected and then straight back to finishing off the job.

I am over the moon with how the car drives now, it’s improved ten fold since buying the car.

So in total now, the car has had:

New
.Glow plugs
.Front and rear wipers
.Battery
.Rear tyres
.Front disks and pads
.Both rear wheel bearings

Next on the list,
.Timing belt
.Front tyres
.Suspension
.182 interior

I like to thing it looks like a trophy if you stand from a distance and squint your eyes, the colour isn’t too far off then ?
F93D6265-E698-4495-983B-299B92AF5CAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C2E7E9A-23C8-4846-ABEF-D3E9FF0826F0.jpeg
    8C2E7E9A-23C8-4846-ABEF-D3E9FF0826F0.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 439
  • 77F8AB98-C4C4-4202-B531-12CA9EAC6F2C.jpeg
    77F8AB98-C4C4-4202-B531-12CA9EAC6F2C.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 402

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Okay, so...I’m finally getting around to considering the timing belt change, now I have time. A few questions for you guys..

1) Are the eBay 3 pin locking tools enough/good enough to do the job?

2) Anything else worth changing while both belts are getting changed, inc water pump.
I can’t think what else would be worth changing.

Cheers all ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check the aux pulley is in good nick on the crank and the cam/crank oil seals, so you wont need to revisit.

Need to do the glowplugs on my dci as its a bit moody on idle when cold, what socket did you use to do yours, as i believe they need a thin wall deep drive socket

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sound i already have the deep drive set from Halfords so should be ok. Not looking forward to it tbh, if any snap its hassle :cautious:

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Sound i already have the deep drive set from Halfords so should be ok. Not looking forward to it tbh, if any snap its hassle :cautious:

Just spray plenty of WD40 around the glow plugs the day before, then take them out while the engine is hot - I was worried, but mine came straight out without fuss.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Just spray plenty of WD40 around the glow plugs the day before, then take them out while the engine is hot - I was worried, but mine came straight out without fuss.

Not sure why that socket didn't work for me. I bought an extra deep laser glow socket and it worked great. Have a look in my thread theres a pic @Brigsy

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Okay, so...I’m finally getting around to considering the timing belt change, now I have time. A few questions for you guys..

1) Are the eBay 3 pin locking tools enough/good enough to do the job?

2) Anything else worth changing while both belts are getting changed, inc water pump.
I can’t think what else would be worth changing.

Cheers all ?
I think I had a laser set and it was fine. After a few uses I bent the crank pin but at £10 a go I can't really complain.
Water pump is a bit of a faff with the engine in the car so I wouldn't bother unless it's giving you grief.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think I had a laser set and it was fine. After a few uses I bent the crank pin but at £10 a go I can't really complain.
Water pump is a bit of a faff with the engine in the car so I wouldn't bother unless it's giving you grief.

That’s brilliant help! Cheers buddy!
Mines not giving me any grief, so would you advise just doing the belt and pulleys? And aux belt? :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That’s brilliant help! Cheers buddy!
Mines not giving me any grief, so would you advise just doing the belt and pulleys? And aux belt? :)
I'd be inclined to just do the cambelt and that's it. I'd only do the auxbelt if you're not sure when it was last changed.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Definitely do waterpump, if it fails in the future its the same job again. Got mine done fairly easy by lifting the engine up and down on the jack from memory.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Long overdue update

I’ve been just driving the car with absolute minimal fuss - all its required is fuel ⛽
Now that it’s proved it’s long term reliability I’ve decided to stop putting off the bigger jobs on it, with the MOT due end of the month.

The car has developed a sticky caliper on the front, so I’ve got that to sort.

One front spring had recently snapped, so I’ve ordered new shocks and springs for the front. I was going to do all 4 corners, but I’ve decided to sort the front end first, then I will get onto the rears.

I’ve still put the timing belt off, so that’s getting done this month while I have time off work and can have the car off the road 2-3 days if need be.

Then the usual oil and filter change.

Should be ready to go for another 12 months then ??

Fantastic little car!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I took @Brigsy ’s advice and bought the eBay shocks on offer. Unreal how cheap parts are for these Clio’s

I think it’s less than £100 on all these parts..

747F0985-D046-4F13-9732-3549C25B02D3.jpeg

Discs and pads on the car are fairly recent, but the passenger side caliper has been sticking - so new pads going on with the new sliders for peace of mind. £15 for new pads ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Let me know how you find them mate. Ive only drove mine a few miles as turbo oil feed started leaking, but seemed ok for the price. The parts are so cheap, its awesome

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Any pointers for which timing belt kit/water pump and aux belt I need to buy @Brigsy ? @Austin-182

There’s loads on eBay, but I always worry with all the different kit codes etc and getting the right aux belt.

Cheers ?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Let me know how you find them mate. Ive only drove mine a few miles as turbo oil feed started leaking, but seemed ok for the price. The parts are so cheap, its awesome

Only just seeing these replies now buddy.
Did you change the top mounts while you were at it too?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If you sniff round, the gates kit and water pump can be found for around £50 new on ebay, or genuine renault belt and tensioners are around £50 on ebay, and water pump on top. Avoid the dayco as they arent the best apparently, also there are two crank pulley bolt sizes.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If you sniff round, the gates kit and water pump can be found for around £50 new on ebay, or genuine renault belt and tensioners are around £50 on ebay, and water pump on top. Avoid the dayco as they arent the best apparently, also there are two crank pulley bolt sizes.

Cheers for your wealth of knowledge ??
Always appreciated!
I’ve just purchased that kit because I actually had an eBay voucher to use, so I’ve had the whole lot for £70 delivered. I know it’s not bargain of the year, but it’s all from the same seller.

I’ve got a big day/two on the Clio now fitting all these goodies ?

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member

Good price for a complete kit? @Austin-182

After the incident with mine i wouldn't like to say mate. Best thing you can do is count the ribs on the current belt and check if its 5 or 6 to avoid the issue i had.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Gates is good with fail safe instructions. I went for a valeo water pump which also was very good quality.

Make sure you have a degree gauge for doing the crank bolt as it's a floating set up, 120nm plus 95 degress + or - 15. That's extremely tight!

The rest is very easy. Something like the below if my memory serves me correctly.
  • Rotate the engine until the cam pin almost aligns with the hole in the head
  • put the crank pin in,
  • rotate until the crank locks against the pin
  • insert cam pin
  • wizz off crank bolt, impact gun is bar far the best to do this
  • release tensioner
  • remove belt
  • replace water pump
  • clean the mating surface of the crank pulley and crank with brake cleaner
  • install new tensioner
  • install new belt, ensuring the timing lines on the fuel pump pulley and crank pulley line up with those on the belt. There should be 19 troughs between the timing marks
  • tension the belt by turning the tensions anti clockwise until the indicator is between the marks on the tensioner
  • install bottom pulley
  • torque up bottom pulley bolt
  • remove timing pins and rotate ending two revolutions
  • insert crank pin then cam pin as described previously, check they align
  • adjust tension of belt so the indicator remains in the correct place
  • rotate again
  • if tension is OK and pins go in OK reassemble

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
You forgot one vital step @graham's

• Impact gun the f**k out of the camshaft nut
?? for some reason they love to come loose right after doing a cambelt! They can be tight for 70,000 miles and never budge! But as soon as you throw a belt at it they just do what they want

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
You forgot one vital step @graham's

• Impact gun the f**k out of the camshaft nut
?? for some reason they love to come loose right after doing a cambelt! They can be tight for 70,000 miles and never budge! But as soon as you throw a belt at it they just do what they want

Loctite the s**t out of it?