ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Clio Mid engined VR6 Turbo build

Some of you may have seen this posted on Clio16valver.co.uk. Thought i'd come along and let you guys have a read and a look her.

Unfortunately i lost alot of the early build pics due to a shitty Samsung hard disk failure, I managed to recover some from friend that i had sent stuff to.

So i bought the car August 2007, with the sole intention of hacking her to bits ! The timing belt was broken, so the purchase price was nice and cheap
icon_cool.gif
We towed her back from Northampton one evening and proceeded to strip the parts i either didn't want or need...... Grey leather, Full magnex and rear axle and konis were all up for dibs and by the time i'd finished selling, i'd nearly covered my purchasing costs.
icon_razz.gif

Over the next few months the floor was cut out, and mucho fabrication performed to mount a Corrado VR6 front subframe and front Weitec coilovers , Mk2 Golf 16v wishbones / anti roll bar / and hubs. Again sorry about the lack of pics
icon_sad.gif

CLIO60_001.jpg

CLIO61_001.jpg

CLIO62_001.jpg

CLIO63_001.jpg

CLIO64_001.jpg

CLIO65_001.jpg

CLIO66_001.jpg

CLIO67_001.jpg

Gradually it began to take shape and after several engine fitting tests, i decided the offside rear chassis rail needed to move to allow clearance for the VR6 Crankshaft pulley. The removed metal was replaced inside the offside rear arch / chassis rail. A firewall was built and provision made for a rear window.

CIMG0054.png

CIMG0055.jpg

Image006.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image008.jpg

Eventually the time came to paint the rear engine bay

CIMG0071.jpg

CIMG0074.jpg

CIMG0083.jpg

CIMG0082.jpg

CIMG0081.jpg

CIMG0080.jpg

CIMG0079.jpg

CIMG0078.jpg

CIMG0077.jpg

CIMG0076.jpg

CIMG0086.jpg

CIMG0085.jpg

CIMG0084.jpg

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
What a trooper you are! Massive fan of the Corrado VR6, this will be brilliant :)

Last edited:
By now i had a fully painted rolling chassis. Look at the rear track !!

IMG0053.jpg

IMG0041.jpg

IMG0039.jpg

IMG0043.jpg

IMG0007.jpg

Ok, so now lets get that motor back in the bay

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

By this time, a list of 'other' jobs was starting to build. The project had to go on hold to clear the backlog.
icon_evil.gif

Time passed on, and every day i had to see her sat, cold and miserable on the drive , waiting, waiting and waiting.......until April 2011. Since then, some real progress has been made. this was how she looked around April this year.

CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0001.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

CIMG0006.jpg

CIMG0004.jpg

CIMG0099.jpg

CIMG0098.jpg

CIMG0103.jpg

CIMG0102.jpg

CIMG0101.jpg

CIMG0100.jpg

Will post more later

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Wow!

Subscribed.

Wish I had the knowledge to do something like this (or the one the chap is doing with the V6 lookalike and Scooby engine)

Listerine & Poledo
this is going to be superb.

what are you going to put in the nose to keep some weight over the front?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
This maybe a silly question as i'm not a mechanic or anything,
but won't the car suffer from understeer due to having no weight over the front?

I realised that the Clio had a cable driven speedo, and the VR was electronic so some sort of conversion was needed. I did consider 5 GTT clocks, but opted for some Astra GTE digital clocks as i'd had a set gathering dust for some years ! After stripping both of the clusters down, i modified the astra unit to fit inside the clio one. The end result is a perfect fit, shame about the spare trip counter hole
icon_rolleyes.gif
I actually bought some slightly smoked perspex sheet, 3mm thick ( the thinnest i could find ) to make a new front for the clocks, but it's not flexible enough to deal with the clio clocks contour.

A couple of nights wiring up and the were fully functional, i even tested the speedo with a drill on the sensor !

CIMG0040.jpg

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0041.jpg

After a trip to see Scoff @ Efi-Parts, Runcorn to finish off the mapping and hopefully get some decent results, the outcome was 430 hp and 430 lbs/ft of torque @ 1.3 bar boost pressure. The injectors were pretty much maxed out at that boost, so since then i've changed to some 850cc siemens units. Just on with some suspension tweaks currently and then i can try some more boost !! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Amazing! Wish I had an inkling of the skill required to do this!

The most difficult part to me seems getting the drive to the rear wheels as opposed to the front lol!