ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Martin's 172 Cup

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking for another 172/182 for a few weeks as the trophy is mint and ive spent a lot on it recently and don't like the idea of doing track days / road trips with the boys and getting stone chips etc! (sad I know) so this popped up on ebay, I watched the auction and stuck a bid in on the last minute yesterday and got it for under a grand :)
booked train tickets and poped down to pick it up this morning from just past Manchester.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

needs some TLC but its a good base with more receipts than any car ive ever owned I think! came with 4 nearly new yokohamas, new discs and pads all round, 4 new engine mounts, ktec solid top mounts, had a front end refresh and dampers a couple of years ago. Also has a powerflow stealth that's nice and quiet.

drives lovely considering its done 120k, very happy!

plans:
Wheel refurb (silver)
new bonnet (has rust issues)
new front splitter (cracked)
do the belts
cure a small intermittent missfire

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
I've just picked one of these up myself, cracking cars! How do you find it in comparison to the Trophy?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've just picked one of these up myself, cracking cars! How do you find it in comparison to the Trophy?
Its hard to compare as the trophy is on 55k vs the 125k the cup is on and the trophy has better tyres, feels tight as it did brand new where this feels a bit more worn as to be expected. Nothing in it performance wise , this however cost 1/5th of what the trophy cost!

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
Yeah fair comment. Any major plans with the Cup, or just general tidying and enjoy?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing major today, a set of clean plates turned up from fancyplates.com and the mrs got some some new mats for my birthday (will get fitted pics tomorrow when ive hovered it) :)

WP_20150128_12_27_39_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150128_12_33_25_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150129_21_56_53_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150129_21_57_04_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150129_21_57_49_Pro__highres.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
very nice mate. Lucky to get one on ebay to have been owned by a fellow CS member :) You're becoming a collector!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Is it that clean up close or do the pics make it looks a little bit better than it is?

I really want it!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Is it that clean up close or do the pics make it looks a little bit better than it is?

I really want it!
to be honest bar the bonnet which is being replaced and the wheels which are being refurbished it's actually bloddy clean hardly a mark or stone chip on it!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
car had a really badly rusted front bonnet, didn't fancy getting one that was another colour and having it painted so the only mondial blue bonnet I could find had stripes but easy enough to remove, got it from renparts but unfortunately it was delivered damaged, but was in brilliant condition other than that so just fitted it and ill get the body shop to repair it.
WP_20150202_19_18_33_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150202_20_50_01_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150203_15_48_58_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150203_16_04_59_Pro__highres.jpg

it had a misfire that was coming and going, it was due a service anyway so I fitted a set of the proper NGK plugs, fresh oil, filter, a pipercross panel filter, cabin filter, new coolant temp sensor and thermostat and cleaned up the throttle body, so I knew I had a good base to work with. Missfire was still there after the new plugs so popped the bonnet on the trophy and started swapping bits over!
WP_20150201_17_31_07_Pro__highres.jpg

swapped over the coil pack and leads and it was still doing it, so pulled the plug off injector 4 and it was trying to cut out, put it back on, pulled the plug from number 3 and tried to cut out, pulled it from number 2, tried to cut out and pulled it from number 1.... no change! bingo!!!
I had a spare set of 172 injectors from my first twingo GT so popped one in and it was running sweet as a nut!

mate bought an inferno 182 to tidy up use for a few weeks then sell on, so we got it home today and cleaned up...
WP_20150212_12_49_23_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_12_49_54_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_16_02_52_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_16_04_16_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_16_04_50_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_16_05_01_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_16_07_00_Pro__highres.jpg

WP_20150212_16_34_32_Pro__highres.jpg

was too busy with his car I forgot a finished picture of my own!!!
removed the broken splitter from my cup (need to do his too!!!) and ordered a ktec carbon fibre one for mine, along with some spray shack washer blanks!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
keep looking at cups. really have to get myself another one asap. was watching one on ebay sold for £1100 but it was in cornwall!!! i would of bid if it had been easier to get to. the search continues.

Celica GT for now
That looks awesome, I've been debating what to get next and have joined a few places for inspiration, the more I see these the more I want one :D