ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud bang, complete loss of drive, gearbox or driveshafts??

clio 172 cup
So I've just pulled out from a roundabout on my way home, at 10mph tops, as I turned there was a loud bang and I lost all drive to the wheels. If i put the car in gear you can hear spinning but the wheels don't move and the car doesn't stall, I was towed home by the AA, and the car made no weird noises etc while I sat in it steering.

If the gearbox was dead would it not jam up or make a racket??

A Refurbished UCH and 3 alternators in six months of ownership and now maybe a gearbox ?

PH2 172
So I've just pulled out from a roundabout on my way home, at 10mph tops, as I turned there was a loud bang and I lost all drive to the wheels. If i put the car in gear you can hear spinning but the wheels don't move and the car doesn't stall, I was towed home by the AA, and the car made no weird noises etc while I sat in it steering.

If the gearbox was dead would it not jam up or make a racket??

A Refurbished UCH and 3 alternators in six months of ownership and now maybe a gearbox ?

If you still have the 172 Cup with a JC5-129 gearbox it will either have likely popped the diff circlip ( see picture ) or stripped a driveshaft or hub spline (unlikely).

You could either weld it up like the pic, or have it converted to bolt up diff,
@NorthloopCup

JC5 CIRCLIP.jpg

clio 172 cup
Yep jacked it up checked all gears wheels roll fine, put a little pressure on the passenger side wheel and the grinding starts. It has traction control and cruise control. Anyone selling a suitable second hand drive shaft?

PH2 172
It has traction control and cruise control.

In theory then, it should have a JC5-130 with a bolt up diff, with no circlip.
That`s not to say a 129 or 089 with the circlip has not been fitted at some stage in the past.
The traction control (ESP), & speedometer will still function from an ABS ring if this the case.
If you have a 129 or 089 fitted, you wil find a redundant speedo drive at the rear of the box.
@NorthloopCup
If it still has a 130, the circlip prognosis is out the door.

JC5 129 SPEEDO DRIVE 2.jpg

clio 172 cup
So finally stripped it down, to my surprise it has the bolt on cover, however there was no circlip present and the drive shaft was loose, is it just a case of undoing the cover put the new circlip and spacer on and bolt bag together?

Attachments

• IMG_20180626_200929.jpg
    IMG_20180626_200929.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 55

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So finally stripped it down, to my surprise it has the bolt on cover, however there was no circlip present and the drive shaft was loose, is it just a case of undoing the cover put the new circlip and spacer on and bolt bag together?
No I’m afraid not mate. Sounds like your diff is fucked in this instance. I take it the driveshaft is still in good condition?

clio 172 cup
Yep drive shaft is fine,
So should the drive shaft just pull out with no resistance?
So how will I know if it's the diff without removing the gearbox, don't wanna buy a new box before I know I need it.

The outer part with the t30 torx screws can also be spun independently from the middle part.

Last edited:

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
You are supposed to be able to spin the inner and outer sections independently. That’s how an open diff allows you to corner with the inner and outer wheels at different speeds.

It’s time to just start taking the box out in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk