ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lost locking wheel nut key

You can just knock a socket onto them and then remove the nut from the socket in a vice. However if they have spinning collers then they are much more difficult to remove.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
You can just knock a socket onto them and then remove the nut from the socket in a vice. However if they have spinning collers then they are much more difficult to remove.

Just my luck there spinning collers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
That kit above won't work then. You could weld a nut to the non spinning part of the locking nut. Got any pics of the nut?

I’ll get a pic when I’m home [emoji106] I have no access to welding equipment either! I’m gutted lol

I have removed the spinning collar locking nuts in the past by chiselin part of the collar away and then using the edge of the chisel to tap into the non moving part of the nut and freeing them that way, but the nuts need to be nipped up and have enough clearance to actually get the chisel in between the alloy.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
There’s a couple of local company’s that offer the service so I’ll ring around and see what prices come up with! Proper pissed off about this! Going away for the weekend in the Clio and I’ll have to risk it with 2 bald tyres!

Civic type r fk8
Just had this problem, used a twelve sided socket ( normal six sided just slipped) for more grip and a mallet to hammer it on, took two different size sockets, mine had collars on . Good luck

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Ive played this game. Bought all the locking wheel nut removal tools none came close to working. Neither did the socket trick. Ended up searching ebay for a secondhand locking key which was a huge ball ache but found one after about a week.

If you put up a pic of your locking nut i might be able to help.

monaco 172
Had this myself with a spinning collar set of lock nuts. None of the above tricks worked.

Went to the local tyre place (ap tyres rotherham) and he had all 4 out in about 5 minutes. I felt robbed but it was money well spent at 10 quid a wheel.

He used some sort of mini impact hammer with a pointed tip and it sort of vibrated the nut out.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Ive played this game. Bought all the locking wheel nut removal tools none came close to working. Neither did the socket trick. Ended up searching ebay for a secondhand locking key which was a huge ball ache but found one after about a week.

If you put up a pic of your locking nut i might be able to help.

I’ll get one in the morning cheers!

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Booked in on Monday at a local garage been quoted around £40 for removal! Think for now I’ll just stick a normal wheel bolt in