ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looks like my bean got written off this aft :(

What did you have to pay to buy it back? My mate wanted to buy his car back off the insurer when it was written off and they wanted silly money.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just a heads up for anyone that might want this car. I've seen another I want and will be buying so this is for sale now. I got it fixed up well enough to get through it's mot and it drives fine with just the cosmetic damage. It'd make an ideal track toy/project for someone.

I'll put up an add in the classifieds in the next day or two. Thanks

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
What you getting?

Getting another one. I still like them and am happy to roll around in another for a few more years yet. With that in mind I don't want to be spending too much money on this one now it's a cat S :(. It still drives perfectly well but feel it'd be better for someone to be using on track or as a cheap run around...

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Getting another one. I still like them and am happy to roll around in another for a few more years yet. With that in mind I don't want to be spending too much money on this one now it's a cat S :(. It still drives perfectly well but feel it'd be better for someone to be using on track or as a cheap run around...

Perfect track car to be fair. It’d never be the same after the shunt.

Superwoman90

ClioSport Club Member
  Peugeot 207
This happened to me in my absolutely mint Impreza STI Type R. The guy ran in the back probably 5-10mph, I think he was on his mobile.
When I looked at the external damage I thought it was a case of a new bumper, unfortunately it had creased the boot floor. I got a healthy pay out from the insurance company - 60% more than I paid for the car but I had to fight for it. Still gutted though because it really was my pride and joy, big time.
Saw it advertised on eBay at a later date!!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
When I say this I mean in terms of ownership feel rather than driving experience.

Have to agree there. Gutted it's come to this tbh.
Someone will get a bargain! Here's a of pic I've taken of the paper work I have for it ready for the advert. Almost everything apart from bits and bobs I bought off here...
20190515_231729.jpg

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I understand it's been in a shunt mate, but if your plan is just to roll around in one for a few more years I'd keep it.

They're at an age where 99% of them will have had something happen to them. At least you know this car and how well it's been looked after.

You risk the chance of buying a bit of a lemon.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I had every intention to chuck a few grand at this car this year. Sorting out a few issues with the paint work, getting the belts done and refreshing the suspension (not that there's anything wrong with it as such), wheel refurb etc. You know just making it all fresh again and good for another 5 years after the belts were done.
After having this kind of bump I just can't bring myself to spending that sort of money on it now while always knowing it'll never be worth very much because it's a cat S.

I'm truely gutted about what happened to it and I agonised over the desision but it's one of those things I had no control over ?.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I had every intention to chuck a few grand at this car this year. Sorting out a few issues with the paint work, getting the belts done and refreshing the suspension (not that there's anything wrong with it as such), wheel refurb etc. You know just making it all fresh again and good for another 5 years after the belts were done.
After having this kind of bump I just can't bring myself to spending that sort of money on it now while always knowing it'll never be worth very much because it's a cat S.

I'm truely gutted about what happened to it and I agonised over the desision but it's one of those things I had no control over ?.

In reality, unless it's silly low miles none of the typical 172/182s are worth much money. Therefore spending on a car you know rather than something relatively unknown could still be the wiser decision.

Bit like my 182, 137k miles now on original box and gearbox and the belts are due in January. I'm in the car deep enough now that it makes sense to pay up and keep enjoying it and disregarding what its actually worth. If it blows up its in throwaway territory anyway.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Aaahhhhhh, you lot making me doubt my desision. Its been totally doing my head in all this thinking ?.
And if I change my mind I'll probably loose a £200 deposit

There are pro's and con's to both. But in reality is a CAT S marker that much of a big deal on what was originally a £2-2.5k car?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Lol @ this.

It's had a little bump. Not been rolled thru' a forest.

You know the car, you know what's happened and you know how it was repaired, and you have had half your new plans financed by the pay out...?

Why would you buy another one...

Mental.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
There is quite simply no point selling a car that you have known for years & have maintained exceptionally well, that has had a small accident and is now CAT S, to buy one that is non-categorised, but was possibly drifted (at a mere 13 months old) sideways into a hedge in Wales by a grinning ex-205 driving maniac who thought he was Ari Vatanen in Climb Dance, then fixed by the insurance as it was still worth decent money.

I've had similar with Minis:
  • My grey one was Cat D, previous owner went into the back of someone, i saw the damage myself, it was minor, but the car was only worth £3k at the time, so they wrote it off. He bought it back & fixed it up.
  • My blue one was Hpi clear, but my (now) brother in law crashed it fairly well lol, i saw the damage myself, it was far far worse than the grey one, but the car was worth £10k at the time, so it was fixed by a Mini bodyshop and nobody would ever be the wiser.
The point is, most cars have had damage, at least you know yours was minimal and its been fixed properly.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There is quite simply no point selling a car that you have known for years & have maintained exceptionally well, that has had a small accident and is now CAT S, to buy one that is non-categorised, but was possibly barrel rolled through a forest at 13 months old, then fixed by the insurance as it was still worth decent money.

I've had similar with Minis:
  • My grey one was Cat D, previous owner went into the back of someone, i saw the damage myself, it was minor, but the car was only worth £3k at the time, so they wrote it off. He bought it back & fixed it up.
  • My blue one was Hpi clear, but my (now) brother in law crashed it fairly well lol, i saw the damage myself, it was far far worse than the grey one, but the car was worth £10k at the time, so it was fixed by a Mini bodyshop and nobody would ever be the wiser.
The point is, most cars have had damage, at least you know yours was minimal and its been fixed properly.

Totally get your point tbh. I used that vcheck thing on here that does better checks on history and it was clear.
As for mine I'd say I got it patched up so it's roadworthy enough to pass the mot.
It could still do with a new boot lid, bumper and ideally boot floor, then spraying up because inferno parts don't seem to show up.
Like I say though I get what your saying....