ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lets talk house alarms

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
So some friends round the corner got broken into whilst out trick or treating on Halloween, smashed a rear window and climbed in.

So I'm now looking at house alarms.

I dont want a battery powered alarms, proper alarms don't run on batteries. Batteries are for girls!

Go with me here, I see yale do a wireless alarm. I'm tempted to buy it, but hard wire power to it and each sensor.

Anyone got a yale one? Is it any good? Any wireless connection issues? Is the bell loud? Can it run with two bells, one front of house one back?

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
We’ve got an ADT one. Fully wireless and can control it through an app. So we can set it abroad if we forget, it alerts you if it goes off. Fully maintained and connected to their central system 24/7 with 3 phone numbers so both sets of parents will get an alert if we’re out the country.

It’s also compatible with all the different automatic lighting that is on the market now.

£200 install and £30 a month, but a bit of peace of mind.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Check out the Pyronix Euro 46 good system and it hybrid wireless and wired detectors and put the app on your phone jobs a goodin

Heard these are good hikivision make them?
How many pennies are They approx are the zones programmable from phone ?

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I was the same a few years ago, soneone got broken into and I went crazy turning the house into fort knox.

I was going to get the all singing, all dancing alarm etc, then my mate suggested the yale wireless as he had one. Yes it's wireless, yes it's batteries but it's been in 3 years and never missed a beat. I set it off accidentally every other week and Jesus you know about it as the keypad had a siren in it too.

No ripping walls to pieces, no chasing wires all over. Just plug and play. For reference I think I've changed about 3 sets of batteries in the most activated PIRS but other than that it's on the originals. I have nothing bad to say about it.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Yea mate I’ve been a security installer for the last 30 years oh god I’m old lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Yea mate I’ve been a security installer for the last 30 years oh god I’m old lol

How many pennies roughly 8 sensors?
Is that better than a wired system?
Is it best wireless system for the cash at the minute iyo?

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Personally I like wired systems but with the pyronix you can have both and the app is not bad....
Price wise you will be looking to spend 400ish

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
We just had a new system installed - 8 sensors (6 in house/ 2 in garage) / 5 door sensors, the main hub plus 2 key fobs. We paid £600 then pay £7 a month for the app where you can control it all as well as covering battery replacement every 3 years, and the annual check up.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just been looking at the Pyronix Euro 46, its seems a bit OTT for a normal house.

looks pretty complex, you have to buy each part separately.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v
I purchased the Yale Wireless system. As per other comments the installation is a breeze, the siren is mega loud and it seems very reliable. I got the one that can be controlled with the app so you can arm/disarm from your phone. I also like the fact I have been able to fit sensors to the shed and they still connect to the main system which is great!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
We just had a new system installed - 8 sensors (6 in house/ 2 in garage) / 5 door sensors, the main hub plus 2 key fobs. We paid £600 then pay £7 a month for the app where you can control it all as well as covering battery replacement every 3 years, and the annual check up.

What system is it?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I want a hybrid, I want to replace our old system with the ability to add extra wireless zones to other areas.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Another thinbs up for the wireless yale. I was also against battery systems but got a good deal on the yale.

Batteries last ages and you get warnings of when they are weeks away from flat. Controlling from the phone is brilliant also.

Mines did keep going off randomly recently but turned out it was the tamper switch on the siren, hareling must have moved and moved the spring.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Got one of these myself- bout a £Grand supplied and fitted, maintenance and guaranteed for first year

Window sensors all round, door sensors all round and internal sensor so that ignores the cat when we are out
Even a setting for when we are asleep
I think that's why they are a popular model, as they are like Lego. You can just add X amount of sensors/ window-door sensors/ then the key fobs, then set a window window setting/ door setting, the list is endless!

Nice little unit, and then the app is handy as well for any unwanted alerts once you're away from home. I think you can then also add your CCTV cameras to the app, depending on whether you're running them as well.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I think that's why they are a popular model, as they are like Lego. You can just add X amount of sensors/ window-door sensors/ then the key fobs, then set a window window setting/ door setting, the list is endless!

Nice little unit, and then the app is handy as well for any unwanted alerts once you're away from home. I think you can then also add your CCTV cameras to the app, depending on whether you're running them as well.

Thanks mate?
Do you pay any subscription on monthly payments for the app or anything else?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Maintenance for a year (Full check of system and replace all bettry's) cost me about £120, when, as he was there for hour and a half I thought was quite good

Replaced one sensor during the 1st year, no quibble

didn't do app, thought would start getting too..... you know...… techie

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Another thinbs up for the wireless yale. I was also against battery systems but got a good deal on the yale.

Batteries last ages and you get warnings of when they are weeks away from flat. Controlling from the phone is brilliant also.

Mines did keep going off randomly recently but turned out it was the tamper switch on the siren, hareling must have moved and moved the spring.
I purchased the Yale Wireless system. As per other comments the installation is a breeze, the siren is mega loud and it seems very reliable. I got the one that can be controlled with the app so you can arm/disarm from your phone. I also like the fact I have been able to fit sensors to the shed and they still connect to the main system which is great!

What Yale system is it mate?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Our turn for this... Our Accenta G4 Unit is 18 years old and the keypad is going. So ready to replace.

Anything wired/non wired a real box ticker?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Our turn for this... Our Accenta G4 Unit is 18 years old and the keypad is going. So ready to replace.

Anything wired/non wired a real box ticker?

We went with pyronix but a wired system more secure than wireless and the app is cheap and works well very impressed so far.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve booked installation of a fully monitored and maintained ADT system.

£49 installation, £27 a month.

Comes with an external box, 2 sensors and the panel. I can recommend people and they get the same price, too.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Comes with an external box, 2 sensors and the panel. I can recommend people and they get the same price, too.

2 PIR sensors or door trggers?
What was the cost of the alarm?
How long is contract?
£324 a year for them to call you and police(who won't turn up anyway!) Seems a lot of cash IMO

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
what do you get for paying a company £324 a year?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
what do you get for paying a company £324 a year?

I Reckon you get.

They will call the police and you and say "your alarm is going off" which with most decent alarms will tell you thru the app anyway (Mine costs 20 quid a year) , you can then call em yourself
(again pointless as they never attend!)
ADT will pop out once a year probly ( if that ) and service it which is just a battery swop if needed (should cost no more than 75 quid a year from any other company!)

not surprised they will do it for same price to anyone else it sounds like a great deal ! (For ADT! ?)

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I have just purchased the yale wireless system from B&Q, I was very reluctant at first being wireless and battery powered. after reading some reviews on the web and seeing some reviews on here I went ahead.

turns out its really really good and does exactly what its suppose to do. no pointless yearly fee, full app control if you want, including alerts, or you can use the keypad.

very pleased with it and I would actually recommend it.

I grew up with a house alarm, my parents always had one. my dad used to be an alarm fitter.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Fully monitored system, so if it’s triggered they’ll call up to 8 people depending on response.

It’s 2 motion detectors, and a door trigger as well.

I’m aware it’s more expensive than these DIY kits, but I don’t have to lift a finger, and having a big yellow ADT box on the outside should hopefully act as enough of a deterrent.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
That £324 Sould get you year round support 24/7 from ADT. 24/7 monitoring. At a minimum of 2 Services a year if it's got a URN for the police.

The company I work for would also be giving you fully Comprehensive cover and parts included in that Price. Cant imagine ADT don't offer the same.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Fully monitored system, so if it’s triggered they’ll call up to 8 people depending on response.

I’m aware it’s more expensive than these DIY kits, but I don’t have to lift a finger, and having a big yellow ADT box on the outside should hopefully act as enough of a deterrent.
I hear what your saying, but... with the yale wireless setup I used 3m double sided tape. so didn't even need to drill holes, its so easy to install. you get a big yellow bell box for out side also and you can control the flash of the leds ;)

not trying to annoy you or anything, but its really worth considering the yale system. if your in Essex feel free to pop round

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
That £324 Sould get you year round support 24/7 from ADT. 24/7 monitoring. At a minimum of 2 Services a year if it's got a URN for the police.

The company I work for would also be giving you fully Comprehensive cover and parts included in that Price. Cant imagine ADT don't offer the same.
Correct, they do.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

So is the alarm free if you pay the contract?
On mine I pay 20 a year for the app will trigger 6 different phones when activated
First year warranty is included so I affect free maintenance.
50 quid a year thereafter so I fail to see whatbyou get from paying an extra 300 quid a year.
Also to cover your property effectively you will need at least one door trigger on each external door and PIR's in every room downstairs and landing at least!

Each to their own it just sounds like ADT Is making a VERY overpriced deal IMO.

If wireless system they are fitting probly cost 450 plus vat installed max any other company. Sounds a very basic system to me.

Also you may find in small print that with constant false alarms they wil take you off monitoring anyway.