ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kit's BMW E34 535i

This is the replacement for the Clio, couldn't get any more different.
IMG_3351_zpsxpjspxy4.jpg

IMG_3350_zpstngt4cbz.jpg

IMG_3349_zpsd18uqh4b.jpg

IMG_3345_zpsebligvdd.jpg
IMG_3347_zps8g9anbrt.jpg

Picked it up the other day and the following day took it down to Devon on holiday. Was really nice and comfortable to drive. Makes an awesome noise, but will probably end up getting a stainless steel exhaust putting on it to make more of that noise.
The car is in really good mechanical condition. Needs a bit of TLC in the form of a polish, clean the insides of the wheel arches to stop any possible rot starting, re-paint the black trim, some minor touch up on the paint work. Not going to modify it, only keep it OEM looking. Have seen a replica Alpina front splitter/bumper on eBay and possibly an M5 boot spoiler for it. Will probably end up lowering it but not slammed, just remove some of the arch gap and make it more aggressive looking.

I will update it for certain. Not much is going to happen in the coming weeks unfortunately. I am waiting to move house which has a garage so want to move in first before I start with the proper tinkering as then I can leave it over night in an un-usable state, as currently Ihave to finish every job in a day now so I can move it off my parent's drive.

Mk2 Clio cup racer
Nice car! I actually have a set of original E34 Sport/M5 bumpers and skirts off a 535i sport from when i broke one years ago. If you fancy a set I dont want silly money for them.

Please don't modify it. Make it mint and standard.

Anything you do, please make sure it can be reverted easily. Ie, springs etc.

EDIT - i'm so jealous. I want it.
Don't worry it won't be modified, just upgraded. So if you look at it then it will look standard. No race car looks here!
The biggest job I need to do is sort out the bottoms of the doors as water has got trapped behind the trim. It just needs nipping in the bud before it gets worse plus making the black trim black again. Just waiting to move house so I can put it in the garage to get started.

Oh really @mikekean.....PM'd

Moved house last week and the car is now in the garage....just
IMG_3466_zpsg3zn2bbd.jpg

Yes it is a tight squeeze! Can walk around it and work on one side at a time, just hope I can jack it up and put it on axle stands without it hitting a wall.
Now that I have moved house I can start on some of the jobs I want doing. Although I am working away in the week and only have weekends so progress might be slow for a while, but I am in no rush.

Not sure if that picture of it in the garage can be seen as on the "edit" page it is there but on the page visible on the website it has a Microsoft picture icon with a red X in :confused:

Moved house last week and the car is now in the garage....just
IMG_3466_zpsg3zn2bbd.jpg

Yes it is a tight squeeze! Can walk around it and work on one side at a time, just hope I can jack it up and put it on axle stands without it hitting a wall.
Now that I have moved house I can start on some of the jobs I want doing. Although I am working away in the week and only have weekends so progress might be slow for a while, but I am in no rush.

Not sure if that picture of it in the garage can be seen as on the "edit" page it is there but on the page visible on the website it has a Microsoft picture icon with a red X in :confused:
Cant see the picture!

Needs lowz and Three spokes.
lowz will happen in the future. Got other jobs I want to do before I start changing it.
You say three spokes, my friend who I bought it off has a set! My step dad was going to buy them when he bought his E36 from the same friend.

Engine is the best bit about it, sounds awesome. It is so smooth and still packs a punch. Not the fastest, like the Clio was, but if you don't concentrate it will get to the wrong side of 100mph without you noticing or much effort. One of the best engines I have driven. And it looks so simple too under the bonet, unlike the Octavia vRS I drive daily.

Have managed to start on the jobs I wanted to get done.
First one is to restore the inner lip of the rear wheel arch as there was possible rust starting. Closer inspection it was the rubbery stone guard coming away.
IMG_3521_zpsih462yoo.jpg

Yesterday I spent pretty much all day with a drill and wire wheel removing that stuff from the passenger wheel arch, and it is a job I hated and never want to do again....oh wait I have to do the other side :pensive: it better be worth it!
Made a right mess in the garage and I was covered in the stuff that I removed. Will get a face mask when I do the other side, hope its not too toxic!
Turned out to be two small patches of discoloured metal and not rust. But as the stone guard was lifting in this area I needed to make sure
IMG_3573_zpsqae0ebpe.jpg

IMG_3574_zpso0sipkdd.jpg

With recommendations I used the POR 15 products to recoat and paint it
IMG_3575_zpsjm35oht7.jpg

I am hoping it is as good as the reviews. Paint is really good, but the instructions were difficult to follow as there were several versions from POR to use. The top coat and the rust preventative don't work well on bare metal so that is why I had to use the prep stuff. Also eats brushes. Thought white spirit will remove it but nope. After the degreaser and prep it had three coats of the rust preventative and three of the top coat. I made sure any joins/seams/lips had plenty of paint and also on the back sides of edges that lead to under the car had some on too. When I look at the car next weekend I will make sure the inner lip of the arch has plenty of paint in there and top up if needed.
IMG_3581_zpsg8brz19b.jpg

I just need to get some red paint mixed up so I can paint the exterior lip of the arch.

To make things less dull under there I painted the shock damper silver. Just a minor touch as I will be putting coil overs on at some point, maybe next year. Before:
IMG_3579_zpshp7etkna.jpg

After:
IMG_3580_zps2rfdqzur.jpg

Need to get some black hammerite to paint the pice of metal behind the disc and not sure if I want to paint the part of the disc the wheel bolts to black or silver. Need to decide what colour to paint the callipers too so they stand out a bit more. Could do OEM grey/silver, but was thinking dark blue like the modern M cars. Then it is bolt it all back up.

All this needs to be repeated on the other side when I get another weekend to myself, hopefully beginning of December.

While I was under it I looked at the sills and they are strong and in good condition. The Germans know how to build a car! I am used to small French rubbish. Posted it on a BMW forum and they were impressed on how clean and good condition it is in underneath. One of the wionter jobs will be to remove the dirt from under the sills and tidy the black up.
IMG_3519_zpstn92anre.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The POR stuff is good, just don't get it on your hands, that sh1t don't come off. Another great product is Bilt hamber, i use there wax oil and underseal on my Impreza.

I was wearing gloves to stop that but there is some small bits on my hands.
I’ll look at those other products too, see if I need them elsewhere. Want to try and stop and form of rust forming on this car before it’s too late.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
@Phase1sr do you think it will be worth undersealing the inner arches over what I have painted? As the POR paint said if you put the top coat on top of rust preventer then it’s solid and doesn’t chip?
If you haven't got a good enough key then the underseal won't stick. If the por top coat is a gloss finish then it won't stick.

However if it's a factory looking finish you're after then it will need to be undersealed, after painting the POR I would let that dry and then give it a key with a bit of emery cloth then underseal over that.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182
Great purchase - F-plate ('89?) was my first BMW experience when my godfather bought a new 320i cab. Silky smooth power delivery and a great stubby gearstick. Does this have the same MPG gauge on the dash, going from one side to another like Jon Snow's Swing-o-meter?!

Cracking effort on the arches. I simply do not understand why manufacturers fail to help protect their arches with a cheap plastic liner. Ideally, with an integrated small mud-flap. Makes me cringe a little every time I see cars (utility 4x4s are the worst) where you have exposed chassis parts with probably the most skimpiest of paint colour and a layer or two of top coat. Might as well put a sign up saying "Rust Dining Station Here".

What was the standard output of these?

If you haven't got a good enough key then the underseal won't stick. If the por top coat is a gloss finish then it won't stick.

However if it's a factory looking finish you're after then it will need to be undersealed, after painting the POR I would let that dry and then give it a key with a bit of emery cloth then underseal over that.
The top coat I used is the “chassis black” so it is a little mat/satin finish. OEM looking is what I want, don’t want it obvious I’ve done things to it so the satin black smooth finish is acceptable. Ideally I wanted it red under there as that is what it was before but they don’t do a red top coat. I’ll look at the underseal stuff tonight as I want to put it back together this weekend and only have Friday night/all Saturday to do it before I move the car in the garage to start the other side. Plus I need to paint the brake calliper and put some undercoat on the arch lip ready for red paint. May use under seal when I clean under the sills as all of that still looks in good condition and I don’t have to remove it to start again.

Great purchase - F-plate ('89?) was my first BMW experience when my godfather bought a new 320i cab. Silky smooth power delivery and a great stubby gearstick. Does this have the same MPG gauge on the dash, going from one side to another like Jon Snow's Swing-o-meter?!

Cracking effort on the arches. I simply do not understand why manufacturers fail to help protect their arches with a cheap plastic liner. Ideally, with an integrated small mud-flap. Makes me cringe a little every time I see cars (utility 4x4s are the worst) where you have exposed chassis parts with probably the most skimpiest of paint colour and a layer or two of top coat. Might as well put a sign up saying "Rust Dining Station Here".

What was the standard output of these?
Yes it does have that MPG gauge, it’s worrying when the needle drops below zero when you accelerate. Also has the OBC which has a digital display for MPG, a long with a host of other things. I am told you can input a fudge factor into it so it reads exact consumption and not an estimate like most cars have.
Thanks, hope the effort is worth it! Oh this wasn’t some cheap under seal BMW used, it was a nob to remove! Thick rubber like coating that took me 6 hours with a wire wheel on a drill to remove just the one arch. But as in the pictures a small section had started to peal so it was best to remove it and start again.
I think the standard output is 220bhp. Happy with that atm, sure in the future I may tinker with it slightly.

Got some jobs done. So hard working away 5 days a week! So took advantage of the Christmas break and cracked on.
Took all the bumper trims off and painted them black, along with the wipers, scuttle and grill (which was a right faff to remove!)
IMG_3748_zpsvlnw4ajb.jpg

IMG_3745_zpstlmh6k2d.jpg

IMG_3749_zpszmokvhce.jpg

IMG_3731_zpsn2lyo5xu.jpg

Currently being lacquered, just wasting time between coats. So no finsihed pictures of them yet, hopefully will get it back together the weekend.
Got a few goodies for Christmas. First was a new battery as the old one was fubar'd - wouldn't even turn the dash lights on. Think it had 3V in it when I took it out. Also a right faff to jump start with the battery being under the rear seat and the jump points being awkward to get to end on due to the bonnet opening the other way.
IMG_3743_zpsuqyul4l7.jpg

Got some detailing stuff too - a coating and tyre shine stuff. Brother uses this stuff on his car and its very good. Need to sort out a DA polisher and crack on with that soon, then I will coat it. Hopefully start that at the end of the month.

Laquering plastic? Please say not gloss?
The black paint is satin, but I have only lacquered a small wiper bolt cover for a test. I want to see how that ends up before I commit to doing the lot. Wanted to help make it a bit harder as the front plastics will only get peppered from stone chips. Or what is the best way to help it not get stone chipped?

Budgie

ClioSport Club Member
  330i. E30 Touring.
Please god don't gloss laquer the plastics, that will look awful.

Either satin laquer, or just use satin black paint, it will be hardy enough to look good for a couple of years

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Its not gloss lacuqer. That is not the look I want!
You've also used grey primer! Terrible idea, as now if the black chips it'll reveal grey! You'd have been better off to key and do about 6 super light coats of black or just buy black primer.. I'd consider sanding it back...

Love the car though, proper machine

You've also used grey primer! Terrible idea, as now if the black chips it'll reveal grey! You'd have been better off to key and do about 6 super light coats of black.
It said on the can "for best results use grey primer" and not being a professional I used this advice! In hindsight and a bit more courage and faith I probably would have done away with the primer. If and when they do get chipped I was just going to dab black paint over it with a sotton wool bud. But if it ends up looking gash in a year's time I will just replace them with new ones.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It said on the can "for best results use grey primer" and not being a professional I used this advice! In hindsight and a bit more courage and faith I probably would have done away with the primer. If and when they do get chipped I was just going to dab black paint over it with a sotton wool bud. But if it ends up looking gash in a year's time I will just replace them with new ones.
Understandable.. The 'best result' bit will be so that you can see how even your coverage of paint over primer is, more important when painting smooth body panels/larger surface areas! Anyway, I'd consider no lacquer, for ease of touch ups as you say.. but see what you think of your test piece and make a judgement call

Anyway, I'd consider no lacquer, for ease of touch ups as you say.. but see what you think of your test piece and make a judgement call
I did the smallest part as a test so it is less effort to correct if I don't like it! That was one thing I did think about. Would have made more progress with this today but had a fight with the oil filter in my daily drive for about two hours then my step dad also struggled to get it off so I gave up on car stuff today before I lost the plot with the BMW.

Another productive day on the car.
Refitted all the black plastic trim that had some love. Looks so much better. Hard to get a photo of it, the best I could do was this, which is still an awful picture!
IMG_3770_zpsubmdydea.jpg

Need to get some number plates made up. Thinking metal pressed ones with a black border and no GB logo but still legal with font and markings. Used to get them off eBay without needing to send off documentation which made them easy to get, but I can't find a seller that does this anymore and all asking for documents. Bit more of a faff but understandable.
Found some G-techniqs C4 Trim Restorer in my box so did the door trims and bits of black on the doors next to the windows in this. So much better now.
IMG_3771_zpsi57ahyju.jpg

Set about the light surrounds with some Autosol polish. Again looks a lot better
Before:
IMG_3766_zps7uwrgiav.jpg

After:
IMG_3767_zps6c5dfxsk.jpg

Then I used the clay bar I bought the other week. Never done it before and was quite easy to do. Probably helped by the fact that the car is already spotless so didn't really need doing. But as I am going to machine polish it in the next few weeks I thought it would be best. I will also be using it on my daily Octavia vRS to see the improvement on that!! Also started on sorting out the stone chips on it too. The bonnet and grill surround does need a respray so not too fused about them. But there are some other marks on it. So I have dabbed them in with red paint and then when I machine polish it the car it will smooth them off and blend them in.....so I have been told!
I was given a fake period tax disc for it. I am born in October 1989 hence why it is for then. Annoyingly the car was first registered in December 1989 so not quite right! But no markings to a car on it so I can't see why I can't use it? So I bought a period looking BMW tax disc holder for it to go in. I haven't fitted them yet as I need a sort out a new windscreen first as this one is ruined.
IMG_3768_zpsyi41vqut.jpg

Worked my arse off at work this week puting in extra hours so I could have half day today so I could be home to get the new windscreen fitted. Guys turned up and opened with "yeah we might not be able to fit it", not hello or even an attempt to do it. They then took some trim off to reveal clips that are glued in behind the glass which are likely to brake if they run their tool to remove the glass. They knew this before they turned up. Got on their iPad to check if their supplier has them in stock which they can get them in for Tuesday - if you knew this why didn't you order them last week when I phoned up?? Not ideal as I am not arround to in the week to get it replaced. I am off to the garage tomorrow to pick my other car up and I will ask the guys in there if they will fail the MoT test on the crack in it as it is them that are going to be testing it. The crack is under the rest position of the passenger side wiper - it is a 2" diameter circle which looks like it has been made when the wiper arm has been knocked agaisnt the screen.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Worked my arse off at work this week puting in extra hours so I could have half day today so I could be home to get the new windscreen fitted. Guys turned up and opened with "yeah we might not be able to fit it", not hello or even an attempt to do it. They then took some trim off to reveal clips that are glued in behind the glass which are likely to brake if they run their tool to remove the glass. They knew this before they turned up. Got on their iPad to check if their supplier has them in stock which they can get them in for Tuesday - if you knew this why didn't you order them last week when I phoned up?? Not ideal as I am not arround to in the week to get it replaced. I am off to the garage tomorrow to pick my other car up and I will ask the guys in there if they will fail the MoT test on the crack in it as it is them that are going to be testing it. The crack is under the rest position of the passenger side wiper - it is a 2" diameter circle which looks like it has been made when the wiper arm has been knocked agaisnt the screen.
It will only fail if it's in within the drivers view.

Found a set of wheels on eBay I am interested in. Asked the seller a few questions and they haven’t responded in a few days. If I’m parting with that much money I want to know a few more details! Will it be worth the gamble and just buy them?

The man maths adds up as they won’t need a refurb or tyres and they should go straight on the car (might need some spigot rings).

Passed the MoT test this morning, pleased with that. Few advisories - surface rust starting to show on the jacking points. Going to get that sorted now before it takes over anfd ruins that car. Took it to a body shop on the way home to have a chat about it, his advise was come back in the better weather and get it done then. Makes sense tbh, it isn't going t get any worse sat up in my garage for a month or two. Also got him to quote on a front end respray too so when they have it for the jacking points they will do that, re-paint the lower sills black and the bonnet/mirrors/grill.

Took it for a drive yesterday as it hadn't been used in a few months. Forgot how nice it is to drive. So comfortable and easy. Spoke to a few people now and they have said do not modify it and keep it standard/concourse. Which I could be tempted with now after driving it.

Not much has happened on the car these past few months, not surprising really as it hasn't been used. Although three weeks until I am back at home for work so can crack on with little jobs in the evenings, winning.
It has been kept clean, my neighbours must think I am mad as it looks like I am always washing it, or my vRS, but for good reasons! Took it out or the first time last weekend to go on holiday with a group of mates. It chucked it down with rain and we were driving county lanes so it got filthy. They just looked at the car and went "why have you bought some old piece of junk?". I don't think they understand. Although when I took them out it in they were a little shocked on how comfy it was.
Was at the Sping Action Day at Castle Combe in it, not on track though. Drove in behind my Stepd Dad in his E36 track car and a few people came over as soon as we parked and complimented both of the cars. One of the lads we were with asked if I was taking it out on track....ummm no. It handles and weighs like a small moon. But it was never a fast car. Once it is polished, coated and had a front end re-spray I am tempted to enter it into the Show and Shine there, although being a very clean standard example I don't think people will get it.

Going to look at buying a DA polisher this month to make a start on that. Got my work bonus through so will be booking the car in for a new stainless steel exhaust. Need to sort out a new tape deck and then its pretty much good to go and enjoy for the summer. Road trip to Scotland with the Girlfriend is being planned to watch the BTCC at Knockhill.

However I am starting to miss having a track car. The vRS is an awesome drive, just not track orientated and to get it to that level it will be a lot of work and money. I just have put of time and effort into it over the year and know it really well, mainly due to the cambelt tensioner failing so I replaced everything during an engine swap. I am missing N/A and for track that is what I want. I probably should just buy another Clio and there is a decent spec'd Odessey Blue Ph1 on eBay at the moment but I couldn't bring myself to strip another Ph1 for abuse. I have done that though and want something different. Small car big engine is a must, needs to be able to put my private plate on (K reg), so there goes 2ltr zetec Fiestas. I really want a 1.8VVC Metro...so that is probably what I will end up with. Watch this space. If I do get a track car the E34 will not be modified but kept standard OEM, which tbh I think will do it more justice and suit it more than lowered and bigger wheels. I think for some reason that the face lift E34 suits the modified look better than the earlier ones.

Last edited:
Just got back from Infinity Exhausts as I had a new manifold back system made up. Pictures are awful but I had a look underneath while they were doing it and it looks smart. Sound is spot on too. It is a little louder if you are stoo beind the car and when you give it some right foot. But cruising at motorway speeds or 30mph it is no different. Very happy with it. Also got the centre rubber mounts replaced for Powerflex ones.

Also bought a new set of wheels, the Style 32's from an E39. Just need to get some spigot rings and coat them in some quartz stuff I have that I used on my old Clio's new wheels and they will be good to go.
Now need to start gathering stuff for the suspension upgrade so when my brother has a spare day we can then just do a straight swap.

DA polisher and polish turned up last week so I am going to get started on that next week in the evening after work.