ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangoo 172 cup

What was happening with the pads? I have ds1.11 btw and you wont go wrong, I swapped out for oem for a bit and the initial cold bite is better with the ds, if they are burnished properly that is

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
After 5-6 laps the power was not there with the PBS, was suffering a bit of fade and spongey brake pedal. Felt like when you work oem pads too hard and gas causes the pedal to go spongey. Very average at best quite overhyped, pads were broken in properly so should be working to spec,

Got a set of DS1:11 in the megane 225 and the stopping power is absolutely savage. The bite is awesome from cold too far better than oem. I broke them in as per Ferodo spec which worked great.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Your fuel gauge makes me want to cry. ?

Yours not sorted yet mate ? I cant believe it still had just over half a tank of fuel left after going on track. Mpg had only dropped to 26? drove home on the fuel left in and still got 50 miles left on the range. Runs on fresh air compared to the meganes !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Had the tailpipe trim on the megane hydrodipped so chucked the steering wheel insert in at the same time to tidy it up as was roughly painted black before
20180824_130602.jpg

Fitted with ebay Renaultsport sticker
20180904_181316.jpg

Not bad for a daft £5 as already paid for the materials on the tailpipe trim.
20180904_181422.jpg

Cleaned up and ready for next outing. Hopefully Croft in October ? board underneath as typical leaky jc5 lol
20180904_193841.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Had a blast out in the Kangoo up to Darlington tonight to drop a gearbox off. On the way back the engine coughed mid roundabout which seemed strange but stayed running so did not think much of it. Pulled up in Tesco at Middlesbrough to discover the 30amp fuse for ecu in engine bay fusebox was melting down.

Fired engine up to try and limp it home and got 50 yards across the car park and it conked out with electrical fault on dash and solid red immobiliser light. Had the tow of shame off Aa to get home !
20180915_231317.jpg

Aa man pulled fuse which snapped in half.
FB_IMG_1537057138941.jpg
Going to check Lambda wiring tomorrow see if its shorted out anywhere. Hopefully easy fix fingers crossed.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Wiring fixed

Not sure what caused the fuse to melt - checked lambda wiring and appears to be ok - all i can think is a loose connection on the fuse ?

Fuse box pin is knackered so bypassed it with decent gauge wiring and new 30amp fuse & holder. Had it running for a while on the drive and no heat off the fuse where it was red hot after a min or so prior to repair.

Melted mess before
20180916_111500.jpg

Repaired
20180916_185537.jpg

Also swapped my ply lining in the back for oem mat out of my mates Kubistar. Clean underneath ply with original plastics still fitted.
20180916_174209.jpg

Much better
20180916_185655.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Seen the fuse melt a few times, has been down to bad connection.

I thought it could only be down to a bad connection as all the other wiring looks ok. I guess the 172's are getting to the age where the wiring is about shot - had to chop fuel sender wiring back 4" to get back to decent wiring as it was all black/corroded under the insulation.

dan's cast offs.
I thought it could only be down to a bad connection as all the other wiring looks ok. I guess the 172's are getting to the age where the wiring is about shot - had to chop fuel sender wiring back 4" to get back to decent wiring as it was all black/corroded under the insulation.

a lot of the time problems are down to a bad connection, the terminals end up a bit loose so you can de-pin them and nip them up but there are a lot to do if you want to go over a full loom!!!!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
How does the van compare to the 182 with I suppose more of the cg centered to the rear?

Ive only really drove a stock cup packed 182 on track so hard to compare handling. Its very planted, no understeer unless you overdrive it.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Update,

Kangoo has been running great since last hiccup, no issues to report.

Adjusted rear brake compensator, wound it off fully and the brakes felt a little bit lacking, but sharper pedal. Took it to my local garage and they let me run it up on the brake rollers to check out brake force and adjust it, first run the rear brakes only pulled 60kgf or so (basically doing nowt). Adjusted it to 110kgf which the mot tester said is fine so will see how this fairs. Brakes feel ok on road use, good pedal.

Give it a good clean up before Trax

Tried out Bilt Hamber Korrosol on the wheels to remove some fallout after Blyton, great stuff. Really clings to the wheel and does as intended, let it dwell and power wash off job done.

Before

20180922_181120.jpg

After
20180922_181735.jpg

I tried it on my williams wheels on the dci which had some heavy fallout on after using them on the kangoo at Cadwell Park last year. Nothing seemed to touch the fallout, i assumed it would never come off. A couple of applications and some agitation and its gone.
Before

20180922_181825.jpg

After
20180922_191333.jpg

Basic 2 bucket wash, removed some rubber marks off the doors and bonnet, top up with a coat of Collinite 476s, Trim gel, Wheels coated in FinishKare 1000p high temp wax. Give the glass a clean & underbonnet a quick wipe over.

20181006_185609.jpg

20181006_181440.jpg
20181006_181247.jpg
20181006_185719.jpg
20181006_194000.jpg
20181007_100914.jpg

Done 440 mile round trip to Trax and back no issues, 39mpg no problem as mostly steady driving. Drone off the exhaust is a bit savage on a long run should tame it a little really when i get some spare ££.

Booked Croft for 20th October looking forward to getting it back out on track as not had much seat time this year. Got some brake cooling ducting to fit this weekend apart from that pretty much good to go. Hoping the weather stays fair for next couple of months & if money allows get another couple of trackdays booked. Thanks for reading !

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Considered some reflective chevrons on the back for the motorway maintenance look too lol.

Ordered a small piece of 2mm alloy sheet to make a heel & toe accelerator pedal as struggling to heel and toe even with my size 11s. Marked out and ready to cut at the weekend.
20181009_214437.jpg

225 powered mk2
Great project!

It was also great chatting to you on Sunday at trax, I was the brummie with the two other guys just as you popped the bonnet open ??

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Considered some reflective chevrons on the back for the motorway maintenance look too lol.

Ordered a small piece of 2mm alloy sheet to make a heel & toe accelerator pedal as struggling to heel and toe even with my size 11s. Marked out and ready to cut at the weekend.View attachment 1389679

Well you know what they say about big shoes....

I think you should go for the sleeper look. Even with that mad stance and camber up front[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Had the tailpipe trim on the megane hydrodipped so chucked the steering wheel insert in at the same time to tidy it up as was roughly painted black before
Fitted with ebay Renaultsport sticker

Not bad for a daft £5 as already paid for the materials on the tailpipe trim.
View attachment 1384753
Cleaned up and ready for next outing. Hopefully Croft in October ? board underneath as typical leaky jc5 lol

Those mats are worth a bazilliongazillion pounds on the williams forum!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Well you know what they say about big shoes....

I think you should go for the sleeper look. Even with that mad stance and camber up front[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Big shoes = big socks ? I was going to fit mk1 clio 16v steels at one point but not much in the way of brake cooling

Those mats are worth a bazilliongazillion pounds on the williams forum!

I was going to sell them on but sadly somebody has chopped them to fit around the footrest so prob not worth much. You should see the price of r5gtt rubber mats, ive seen them go for £300+ a set. Crazy money for old rubber mats.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great project!

It was also great chatting to you on Sunday at trax, I was the brummie with the two other guys just as you popped the bonnet open ??

Good to meet you mate ? Had a good day at Trax, got offered a few track slots but didnt want to tempt fate and bust something with Croft coming up. Didnt get chance to see your ph1 as ran out of time, do you have a project thread on here ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You got brake ducts? Only thing with steel wheels is that when you get them warm and push on them hard they flex[emoji23]

I have a few bits in stock for brake ducting, hopefully gte it on this weekend. Steels are quite weak, i have ultra rare et16 r5gtt cup car steels on my Extra and they bend for fun with a bit of kerb hopping on track. Ill stick with the heavy but solid 2118s on this as i know they can stand loads of abuse?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I have a few bits in stock for brake ducting, hopefully gte it on this weekend. Steels are quite weak, i have ultra rare et16 r5gtt cup car steels on my Extra and they bend for fun with a bit of kerb hopping on track. Ill stick with the heavy but solid 2118s on this as i know they can stand loads of abuse[emoji16]

At least they don’t crack like Superleggeras[emoji23] Or a turini, amount of them I’ve seen bent beyond belief is just stupid

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great stuff! A while back I was trying to design a couple of blocks to go under the pedal but just ended up with a few washers instead.

Thought about the washers too that would probably do the job. Alloy sheet cost £2.50 will see how this fairs. Might adjust the height of the acc pedal if poss, looks like it can be removed and adjusted. Not sure where the optimum height will be though compared to brake pedal.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Croft prep continues

Brake ducts fitted - 100mm bass ports fit nice and tight in the foglight hole, filled inside edges with PU and hose cable tied to inner arch.

Had a bit of a carry on with this as removed the remains of the carbon canister to make room, knocking the fuel line causing it to leak at the rail. I was going to change pipe and fitting but it appears to be fine/solid now, might change o rings as new fittings arrive today.

Need to knock up some deflectors for inner arches next like the cup racer setup. If i get time will sort it this week.

20181017_101828.jpg
20181017_101822.jpg
FB_IMG_1539772095066.jpg

Heel & toe pedal fitted
20181017_105648.jpg
20181017_105711.jpg

Hopefully no more last min issues !

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
I bet this is fun round croft! I am hopefully going to get the Twingo ready to do the Christmas Stages at croft in December. Did I read somewhere that your from Redcar? If so I am only up the road in Seaton Carew.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I may have missed them, but do you have in-van vids on track?

I dont have any incar footage just off the rear view camera. Might set up a mo7nt inside for Croft if i get chance.

I bet this is fun round croft! I am hopefully going to get the Twingo ready to do the Christmas Stages at croft in December. Did I read somewhere that your from Redcar? If so I am only up the road in Seaton Carew.

Yes mate from Redcar so only down the road. Christmas stages will be epic go for it ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The ducts look nice and neat. I wouldnt do them on mine as my lights are so dim I use the fogs to get as much help as possible ?

Cheers mate hopefully they will do the business. No fogs in this as pov spec lol

Fuel rail connector issue sorted. Removed it this morning an o-rings not the best, swapped them for ones off the new connector and all seems good.
20181019_105826.jpg
20181019_105834.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Croft didnt go so well !

Went out for sighting - noise tested 100db static. First session went ok no issues apart from lack of confidence in the pbs pads. Went out for 2nd session and 5 laps in rode the kerb on the lhd side exiting chicane and lost drive. Assume circlip has come off the diff as speedo still going up and getting gears but no drive.

As not many tools with me and no spare gear oil had to admit defeat and call it a day. The question is do i renew the circlip & weld it in - renew circlip and fit plate to diff or whip the box out and fit a bolted diff ?

A few pics
95F_9105.jpeg
95F_9031.jpeg
95F_8662.jpeg
95F_9086.jpeg
95F_8280.jpeg

And finally - tow of shame??
20181020_165249.jpg