ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

J&R Driveshafts and Quaife

172 Turbo
Has anyone experienced the same issue as the one experienced with a Gripper & Ph2 shafts with the cheap J&R shafts and a Quaife?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
It had that same vibration as Marts did with the gripper and a standard shaft, on sharp right turns it was knock knock knocking

PH2 172
It had that same vibration as Marts did with the gripper and a standard shaft, on sharp right turns it was knock knock knocking

Engine moving on it`s mounts causing the shaft to bind?

Also lots of negative camber will pre load the shaft.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
IIRC I'm running Phase 1 shaft on my gear box running a gripper diff. I don't remember the issue but I'm sure it @AlexW said that was my setup.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I happen to know the exact solution and the differences. Picture top to bottom

1. Euro car parts GKN shaft 640cm
2. A standard oe 172cup shaft is 653cm
3. A J&R shaft is 660cm.

I had the problem of the Gripper diff knocking inside the diff cup. Problem solved by fitting the GKN shaft.
F2049609-FF69-4B88-A3AE-CBB0C88E70F6.jpeg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Excuse my ignorance, so the OEM driveshaft is too long therefore the issue is?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Excuse my ignorance, so the OEM driveshaft is too long therefore the issue is?

Yea when you fit the Gripper and you lower the car, what tends to happen is the standard shaft at 653mm the tripod hits inside the diff cup. At standard ride height it will not be an issue. My car measures 315mm from wheel centre to arch now. When I was having issues at that height I had to raise it upto 350cm before the knocking went away. I approached Gripper about this problem and they offered a solution of cutting my shaft and reducing the length by 20mm. It was only that i stumbled across Euro carparts website that they listed the shaft at 640mm that I chose to buy a shaft instead of having it cut and rewelded.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
I can’t edit the post with the pictures but just in case. I mean “mm” not “cm”. Lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What about 182 shafts with cup pack though? Are they different ?
I’m pretty sure they’re all the same in ph2, with the exception of the cup o/s driveshaft, as it doesn’t have the bearing that attaches to the back of the block. Abs rings may be different on the 60mm spacing hub setup though, so more teeth. Certainly rings a bell, but can’t say with confidence.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
As @NorthloopCup said, the only difference on 182 cup packs are the ABS rings.

I checked, double checked, and then rechecked it all again before ordering a shaft for mine ?

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
What about 182 shafts with cup pack though? Are they different ?
It seems the definitive answer is to physically measure the shaft. There is no actual specific shaft as Mark and I discovered that all manner of shaft from phase 1 to phase 2 measured similar. When I spoke to Gripper they said maybe 1 in a 100 cars have a problem, and also depending what time of the day/month/year whether it be Franco or Pierre or jean Claude Van dam that built the car, it could have any manner of f**ked up length shaft put on from the factory. And not forgetting that our cars are now 14/15 years old and could have had a replacement in its life so who knows exactly what shaft it’s been replaced by. Long and short of it is, if you have a problem then the fix is Euro Carparts 640mm shaft. Ps, the bonus part is the GKN shaft is hollow and lighter than the Solid steel J&R has one.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
After a lot of head scratching I went with one from Ktec, they’re the only place I’m aware of that sells the genuine ones. They must use whoever used to supply them to Renault.

I actually spoke to K-tec when I was trying to sort my issue out. They had never come across the knocking problem and wasn’t able to help me whatsoever.

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
It seems the definitive answer is to physically measure the shaft. There is no actual specific shaft as Mark and I discovered that all manner of shaft from phase 1 to phase 2 measured similar. When I spoke to Gripper they said maybe 1 in a 100 cars have a problem, and also depending what time of the day/month/year whether it be Franco or Pierre or jean Claude Van dam that built the car, it could have any manner of f**ked up length shaft put on from the factory. And not forgetting that our cars are now 14/15 years old and could have had a replacement in its life so who knows exactly what shaft it’s been replaced by. Long and short of it is, if you have a problem then the fix is Euro Carparts 640mm shaft. Ps, the bonus part is the GKN shaft is hollow and lighter than the Solid steel J&R has one.
Strength wise how do they fair up? Any problems?