ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing Cruise Control on a 172

Iceberg 172
Hi all,

I never really thought it was easily done until I took my control panel off and realised I had 2 unused plugs behind it.

How hard and what work is involved to install cruise on my car and what do I need?

So far I'm aware I need a steering wheel with cruise control buttons, the obvious cruise button panel and something about a clutch switch?

What are those unused switches for behind my switch panel?

Any information will be helpful.

Attachments

• 20180711_115727.jpg
    20180711_115727.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 290
  Clio RS 172 2002
The most expensive item is the squib (clock spring) behind the steering wheel. It needs to have an extra connection for the cc buttons.

Buy new or get one from a wrecked 182.

The cc buttons can be fitted to a 172 steering wheel. The airbag needs to have two small pieces cut out for the buttons to fit.

The unused sockets are the halogen headlight level (not used on a car with xenon lights) and the cc switch.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
@Vaughan Mines an early 172 without ESP. I bought a panel with the ESP button thinking it would be as simple as plugging it in but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Iceberg 172
The most expensive item is the squib (clock spring) behind the steering wheel. It needs to have an extra connection for the cc buttons.

Buy new or get one from a wrecked 182.

The cc buttons can be fitted to a 172 steering wheel. The airbag needs to have two small pieces cut out for the buttons to fit.

The unused sockets are the halogen headlight level (not used on a car with xenon lights) and the cc switch.
Ideal mate I appreciate that alot!

Clio RS 172 2002
@Vaughan Mines an early 172 without ESP. I bought a panel with the ESP button thinking it would be as simple as plugging it in but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

The early 172s don’t have ESP so there will not be wiring for the ESP switch. There should be a plug for the cruise control. You need a cruise control switch. Plug the switch in, turn the ignition n and off a couple of times and the dash should display SET - - - -.

If it doesn’t shot SET then the cpu might not have the ability for cruise, but I believe all 172s do (except Phase 1s).

Iceberg 172
The early 172s don’t have ESP so there will not be wiring for the ESP switch. There should be a plug for the cruise control. You need a cruise control switch. Plug the switch in, turn the ignition n and off a couple of times and the dash should display SET - - - -.

If it doesn’t shot SET then the cpu might not have the ability for cruise, but I believe all 172s do (except Phase 1s).
So I don't need a steering wheel with the buttons? Or a clutch switch? Mine has ESP

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye

The wires and plugs are there for the cruise and the ESP. Not that I really need ESP, it would just be nice to have the button working. I'll try and pick up a panel with just the dash light dimmer switch.

Clio RS 172 2002
The wires and plugs are there for the cruise and the ESP. Not that I really need ESP, it would just be nice to have the button working. I'll try and pick up a panel with just the dash light dimmer switch.

Early 172s without ESP don’t have the wiring. That extra socket is probably for the halogen headlight level control.

ESP cannot be retrofitted without a lot of effort, the ECU is different plus there is a yaw sensor and different squib with steering wheel angle sensor too. None of the wiring for those us there.

Last edited:
  Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Early 172s without ESP don’t have the wiring. That extra socket is probably for the halogen headlight level control.

Ah. It was just the fact that one of the white plugs fitted into the ESP switch and the other ones didn't that got me wondering. There's 4 plugs in there, two white ones and two smaller black ones. I know naff all about electrics though. Cheers for clearing it up.

Clio RS 172 2002
ESP cars use the ABS for the speed signal. Cannot install a speedo sensor anyway - the gearbox on ESP cars don’t have the hole.

Clio RS 172 2002
I can confirm that plugging the white plug into the ESP switch doesn't do anything on an early 2002 172 that wasn't spec'd with ESP from factory. I bought the panel and gave it a go.

I’m surprised there is a socket for ESP on the loom, my early 172 doesn’t have one.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I’m surprised there is a socket for ESP on the loom, my early 172 doesn’t have one.

Mines a feb 2002 ph2 172. Has nothing as far as I'm aware.

The previous owner replaced the old panel with a bit of carbon with a couple of toggle switches on it. I wanted to replace this as it looked dire. When I removed the panel there was two large white plugs and two smaller black ones. All apart from one white one was unplugged (this was the dimmer switch for the dash). I couldn't find a panel with just a dimmer switch on it so got one with the ESP switch and Dimmer. Each plug will only fit it's corresponding socket and one of the plugs fitted the ESP switch socket so I tried it, but when pressed it does nothing, no lights come up on the dash.