ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I'm beginning to regret buying the RS...

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Exactly, people love to overreact.

Not over reaction if I had spent that on car I would not expect it to keep being in the garage with major engine problems even if warranty was paying !
Ford have had my mates for weeks to fit new gasket awaiting parts!

I know everything can have issues but why have something where issues are pretty much guaranteed.

As long as it’s warrantied who cares. Any engine in any car you buy has a risk of developing issues.
So you'd be happy driving something totally inferior to the car you have purchased whilst yours in in for weeks getting repaired? Sure Mark got given a s-max. Remember if on finance, PCP etc you'd also still be paying a monthly premium to be driving an RS whilst pottering in a s-max or whatever whist having another new engine.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Has the engine issues effected the second hand sales price much?

A lot for sale in the 23k or less bracket now mk2s have been fetching that sort of figure for the last few years now.
Mk2s Hardly lose any money in depreciation.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
MK2s did drop a bit below £20k at one point I recall, then went back up again, so it's only logical that the MK3 will do the same. The thing that goes against it is that it seems to have been made in greater numbers. However, it's an RS-badged Ford, so it will likely hold value pretty well.

I doubt the engine issues will have any notable impact on values.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Trade it in for some Jap reliability. The FK8 CTR has your name all over it. I could just see you in one.

By all accounts it’s a better car anyway.

;)

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
^ ^ ^ Test drove new Type R at Goodwood earlier this yeat.
Nice, but not awe inspiring. Rear end is more "younger driver" as its quite an aggressive look, but then I aint no Youngun. LOL

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I think they look awesome, especially in grey.

bd6644c436246c7f50355128d43d2c93.jpg

cc49f71ebe908702c1226ea32bc16d88.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mate in work has a Mk3 FRS. Done less than 10,000 trouble free (hard!) miles and he had to have the head gasket replaced under recall/warranty. Didn’t want it doing but didn’t want the recall outstanding either...

Had nothing but problem after problem since.

Shower of s**t really for a near £40k car.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
@MarkCup sorry to hear about the bad news. Guess it goes some way to potentially explain the missing ponies from the dyno run. Can’t believe you’ve had such bad luck. Appreciate I don’t have mine anymore but having done 13k of trouble free miles on the “wrong” gasket, i can’t believe the problems some people are having.
You’ve got the warranty as you’ve said which is great news and fingers crossed for you that Ford sort things out and give you a car which is awesome to drive and bomb-proof.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Mate in work has a Mk3 FRS. Done less than 10,000 trouble free (hard!) miles and he had to have the head gasket replaced under recall/warranty. Didn’t want it doing but didn’t want the recall outstanding either...

Had nothing but problem after problem since.

Shower of s**t really for a near £40k car.

Are they botching the head gasket job or something?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Without knowing the full ins and outs, but if you can get your money back or at least sell on for good money, I would advise doing so.

These now have a bad rep for problems and the resale values will plummet far beyond normal expectations, particularly when out of warranty.

Get shot now and cut your losses before they accelerate.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@MarkCup will be interesting to see what you think of the RS3 when you drive it ... I'd be getting rid of the FRS now to be fair. Nothing worse than having a car that has to visit the main dealers all the time. Especially when they are 97% staffed by muppets. I know this all too well from buying a new M135i and an RS3 in warranty ?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I don't mind the CIvic. It's lairy, but that's kind of the point of it. It's supposed to be aggressive and look like a race car. Good on Honda for going all-out I reckon.

I'd be replacing it with a Cupra 300 DSG, understated looks, underestimated performance on the road and especially on track and probably £5k-10 cheaper than all the rest mentioned. In fact I'd buy a 4 year old 280 Cupra with extended warranty for £15k remap it and pay the remaining £15-20k of my mortgage.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
All the wings, belts and spoilers on the CTR are functional. There is thought Honda is doing a dumbed down version as it splits so much opinion. A little less in your face for the expense of less overall performance.
Could be a good decision.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
going back to the civic in retrospect I think I quite like the front it's the rear that's a bit too mental. Even the lower range models look a bit out there from the rear.

Anyway @MarkCup any update?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Unreal. I think that you're onto the right path with thoughts of selling/rejecting it.

They've got an awful rep for reliability now, so that'll hit them hard when they're out of warranty.

IMO rejection first. If you have no luck then just shift it whilst it's still Ford's problem. It shouldn't be yours.

Then M140i.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Unreal. I think that you're onto the right path with thoughts of selling/rejecting it.

They've got an awful rep for reliability now, so that'll hit them hard when they're out of warranty.

IMO rejection first. If you have no luck then just shift it whilst it's still Ford's problem. It shouldn't be yours.

Then M140i.

Yep some people going on saying don't care warranty paying that's ok now if it doesn't bother you driving base spec loan cars while paying for an RS.
But try selling it on when someone looking at a possibility of a few grand bill if it goes again out of warranty.
Bearing in mind most will have had the gonads battered of them from new !!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep some people going on saying don't care warranty paying that's ok now if it doesn't bother you driving base spec loan cars while paying for an RS.
But try selling it on when someone looking at a possibility of a few grand bill if it goes again out of warranty.
Bearing in mind most will have had the gonads battered of them from new !!

There are also people suggesting it’s a given that you can reject a car after a year of use... I suspect the reality sits somewhere in the middle where Ford may buy the car back off you for a half decent rate as a sorry. Or they fix it again and give you a present as a sorry.

It’s possible we’ve got ahead of ourselves and that the problem isn’t terminal this time. Especially since the only symptom is lack of boost at high RPM. I’m not an engineer but the fact it’s fine for normal driving suggests it’s fixable. Annoying yes, but that’s why OEMs give a warranty and not a guarantee that you won’t have problems. s**t happens I’m afraid.