ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

If your brake light fails, your cars scrapworthy

182 Turbo
Just rang the stealers this morning as i cant find the brake light for the cup spoiler anywhere, OE number 7700429000 apparently they no longer supply them from either renault france or uk, but if that light is not working its an MOT fail. So your cars basically scrapworthy.. ?

I suppose the only option is to downgrade to a non cup spoiler? as i cant find anywhere to buy the light, unless anyone else knows somewhere you can get them?

Flamer Barn Find
Just rang the stealers this morning as i cant find the brake light for the cup spoiler anywhere, OE number 7700429000 apparently they no longer supply them from either renault france or uk, but if that light is not working its an MOT fail. So your cars basically scrapworthy.. ?

I suppose the only option is to downgrade to a non cup spoiler? as i cant find anywhere to buy the light, unless anyone else knows somewhere you can get them?
If you're that desperate strip the light unit down and install LED strip inside of it.

Is this my new business idea - refurbing cup spoiler tail lights ;)

182 Turbo
I suppose its an option to cover it, just get it though its MOT but i would also like it working ?
that LED strip isnt a bad idea though, is it simple enough with the two wires? its just a ground and positive right? so installing an LED strip should be quite simple?

If you're that desperate strip the light unit down and install LED strip inside of it.

Is this my new business idea - refurbing cup spoiler tail lights ;)

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Is it now a requirement for it to be working on the new MOT rules? When i was working around that environment approx 4 years ago a third brake light fitted but not working was only an advisory...

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Is it now a requirement for it to be working on the new MOT rules? When i was working around that environment approx 4 years ago a third brake light fitted but not working was only an advisory...

Unless it's changed in recent MOT updates then I understand it as follows: if fitted and connected (but not working) - it's a fail. If fitted but not connected its an advisory. Although the tester isn't allowed to check if the light is connected so it should always be a pass and advise really.

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Just have to find someone breaking a car with a cup spoiler and take a chance. There’s plenty being broken around, either on eBay or the Facebook pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to to tell the tester buy the way the spoiler brake light not connected= pass and advise.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Stick a non cup spoiler on it with brake light for Mot and then swap back over once done if the tester is being funny about it. I have a plain black non cup spoiler here and a silver one both with working brake lights. You are not too far from me either if it helps @Aydon182

182 Turbo
Stick a non cup spoiler on it with brake light for Mot and then swap back over once done if the tester is being funny about it. I have a plain black non cup spoiler here and a silver one both with working brake lights. You are not too far from me either if it helps @Aydon182
Thanks mate ive gone about fixing my cup spoiler brake light today by opening up a non-cup spoiler brake light i already had, going to stick the light board into the cup spoiler one ?

Land Rover
It does annoy me that many manufacturers now regard vehicles that have been out of production for over ten years as “end of life”
Thank goodness for breakers! There’s dozens of Clios in my neighbourhood they are a much better option than for example a rusting Ford Ka or old, unloved Peugeot 206 (as most are)

phase 1 flamer 172
I believe I have a new unused (will need to check) brakelight assy for the cup spoiler, If you are interested..

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
that LED strip isnt a bad idea though, is it simple enough with the two wires? its just a ground and positive right? so installing an LED strip should be quite simple?

The stock light is just a strip of LED's anyway.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Problem is the plastic gets brittle on the lights. I ran an LED strip but they don't look as good as oem and i snapped the plastic.

I have a nearly new cup brake light for sale if you want it?
Just have to buy the rest of the spoiler too.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Problem is the plastic gets brittle on the lights. I ran an LED strip but they don't look as good as oem and i snapped the plastic.

Is it iceberg?

182 Turbo

How much mate? I’ll send you a pm later

182 Turbo

How much mate? I’ll send you a pm later

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It does annoy me that many manufacturers now regard vehicles that have been out of production for over ten years as “end of life”
Thank goodness for breakers! There’s dozens of Clios in my neighbourhood they are a much better option than for example a rusting Ford Ka or old, unloved Peugeot 206 (as most are)
I'm with you there. We must buy far too many new cars on our little island. I spotted loads of MK1 Megane coupes on holiday on Tenerife recently and they were'nt all shitters either!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea, although other countries might start changing that as pollution legislation is brought in, forcing older cars off the road.

Maybe we're just mad for credit though?

I'm with you there. We must buy far too many new cars on our little island. I spotted loads of MK1 Megane coupes on holiday on Tenerife recently and they were'nt all shitters either!
Yea, although other countries might start changing that as pollution legislation is brought in, forcing older cars off the road.

Maybe we're just mad for credit though?
You should go to Turkey - people are rolling around in rust-free Renault 9s! lol

Hyperhatch

ClioSport Club Member
CMcomposites fibreglass replica. Problem goes away! ?
9C9881E6-9B12-43B1-805E-F9D17F6F1590.jpeg

PH2 172

Assuming that is the correct part number, you should try harder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Feu-de-F...157289&hash=item1ee769e1cd:g:nuoAAOSwbaxbZn1p