ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idle Control Valve

Clio
Hi all,

Recently brought a 2005 1.2 Clio 16v with a D4F engine. Saved it from going to the scrapies.

However a recent Idle problem has come up, the engine runs fine up until it gets warm at which it then drops to approx 500rpm. However it struggles to keep at the idle and hunts from the exhaust. Leading me to think Idle control valve needs cleaning out. Never had an issue with it stalling but would obviously like to fix it before it does.

I've read though that because it is attached to the Throttle Body and it's electric it will need reprogramming. Would anyone be able to help and tell me if there is a way to do this easier.

Cheers again in advance.

PH2 172
Hi all,

Recently brought a 2005 1.2 Clio 16v with a D4F engine. Saved it from going to the scrapies.

However a recent Idle problem has come up, the engine runs fine up until it gets warm at which it then drops to approx 500rpm. However it struggles to keep at the idle and hunts from the exhaust. Leading me to think Idle control valve needs cleaning out. Never had an issue with it stalling but would obviously like to fix it before it does.

I've read though that because it is attached to the Throttle Body and it's electric it will need reprogramming. Would anyone be able to help and tell me if there is a way to do this easier.

Cheers again in advance.

I don`t think it has an IACV.

Have you checked the valve clearances, compression?

The valve clearances require often neglected periodic adjustment on D4F.

Clio
I don`t think it has an IACV.

Have you checked the valve clearances, compression?

The valve clearances require often neglected periodic adjustment on D4F.
The engine runs smooth as silk when the revs are put on. Just on the idle when stopped at lights etc. I wouldn't have thought it would be valve clearances if it's fine with revs on.

PH2 172
The engine runs smooth as silk when the revs are put on. Just on the idle when stopped at lights etc. I wouldn't have thought it would be valve clearances if it's fine with revs on.

Did you not read somewhere that you should compression check the engine before you start guessing?

Clio
Did you not read somewhere that you should compression check the engine before you start guessing?
Well there's no harm in doing one anyway to be sure. But when it's just at idle I'd imagine idle control or something to do with ignition system.

PH2 172
Well there's no harm in doing one anyway to be sure. But when it's just at idle I'd imagine idle control or something to do with ignition system.

Or an injector?

Throttle body is fly by wire, so will not have IACV.

Eliminate any possibility of poor compression and go from there.

Reading the plugs can tell you a lot, so keep them in order.

May as well bang a new set in anyway.

Clio
Or an injector?

Throttle body is fly by wire, so will not have IACV.

Eliminate any possibility of poor compression and go from there.

Reading the plugs can tell you a lot, so keep them in order.

May as well bang a new set in anyway.
Yeah that's one of a few temptations I've got. I gave it a full service when I got it a few months ago but it hasn't been running much since. Been reading Manuals such as the Haynes one about it and says the Throttle Body on the D4F is electronic, which then it then says would need reprogramming to work right. Obviously not wanting to ruin my car by messing it up thought I'd check with people who will have had more experience than me

PH2 172
Yeah that's one of a few temptations I've got. I gave it a full service when I got it a few months ago but it hasn't been running much since. Been reading Manuals such as the Haynes one about it and says the Throttle Body on the D4F is electronic, which then it then says would need reprogramming to work right. Obviously not wanting to ruin my car by messing it up thought I'd check with people who will have had more experience than me

A full service would include fitting new plugs ( did you? ) and checking the valve clearance ( obviously not ).

Come back when you have done a compression check please.