ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I buy some sh*te

Golf Mk6 tdi
Some old dashboards are awful, although some are in keeping! I wonder if there is legs in getting a new one designed with extra storage and suck like?

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Some old dashboards are awful, although some are in keeping! I wonder if there is legs in getting a new one designed with extra storage and suck like?

It’s ok for storage actually. Big glove box and two cubbies on the drivers side.

I’ll paint it black and fit a double din apple car play stereo. It’s not the prettiest dash but more is the rest of the design of the van. Squares everywhere.

I did come across a leather cover which is quite nice. But I think it’s OTT.

b93c755fc6242c9d5b3a3b193a450199.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Quick trip up to Perth this afternoon with a half day off work to use up.

Had the van booked in to Scott-Glaze to get the rear window removed to refit the correct VW trim. Also had the rear glass and side windows tinted for some privacy in the back.

Well chuffed with how it looks. I’ll put curtains in later before a proper camping trip. I will be using this tomorrow just to do a test run at a local campsite.

215c63b58413d488f25bc8414cd82f0d.jpg

be715a3f5b578bde7e4d4acac71e3344.jpg

30f650951efab87fe0d378bc4db7c28b.jpg

91df65f8daa8f62ae43a2162bf5c1efb.jpg

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
First trip complete. One night test at a local campsite. Forgot a few things but nothing a rock and and Chinese takeaway couldn’t sort.

044202c8bec64ac8f6ded13b9aa63983.jpg

2a4ccce6e9417f1f708c00e615345894.jpg

f0bebe312fb8251dae11f0fcb0b2cdcc.jpg

f015dafa2cac209990e21e28f4367ae0.jpg

Next on the list. Adapt the roof rack (chop it up) so all the camping stuff can be carried their instead of in the van. For some curtains and a proper awning rail.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Back at work this week after a full 8 nights away with the family in the VW.

Overall thoughts.

It’s ok space wise with the awning.

Sleeping arrangements are fine.

The wife was quite happy. But I had one night sleeping in the camper and the bed it too hard. So it needs an air bed / memory foam topper.

We have no storage space. I think I’ll end up going full camper just for this.

In the driving front. The van done well. It’s noisy on the motorway. You can fit a modified 5th gear to help but I’ll wait and see if I’m sold on doing the VRS engine and gearbox.

Also the wheels rub on the arches when manoeuvring with everything loaded up. So I’ll need to roll / trim the archer some.

ab4c2e7cde1e2cdba0ed62387ff2be5b.jpg

0c1d9237693941c1d4a68d7c25803380.jpg

b6c8ecf43e0c85797beb686bba67adc0.jpg

c47d71ac7a12adb45709dabe9b464c0d.jpg

b450338a49b1af4cf08161727d9ea01d.jpg

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
Big old awning there. I thought you were using that as a Garage.

When you are using an awning that big is there much benefit over an estate car with a big tent?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Not seen this before, so just had a read through from the start. I'm not really much on the whole camper thing, but it does look quite fun converting a van like that. Colour/wheel combo looks great. Got to bang that vRS engine in it though for sure.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Not seen this before, so just had a read through from the start. I'm not really much on the whole camper thing, but it does look quite fun converting a van like that. Colour/wheel combo looks great. Got to bang that vRS engine in it though for sure.

Yeah. I’ve got an inferno 182 to finish doing up and sell. Then it’s on to stripping the Skoda.

I do get the fear that I’m going to c**k up a reliable old bus though. These 2.4D engines go in forever. Probably because they are 80% noise and 20% power.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Good job :)

Considered a pop top or something? Wonder if you can buy kits etc.

I might do. But it’s all money with these things.

By far the biggest issue is the engine and gearbox just now. I’ll sort that first.

Then kitchen unit / fridge / sink etc.

Then I might fit a pop top. You can buy one for the t4 that is side opening. It’s about £1100 for a LWB and can be done as a kit. Or it’s £200 fitting.

56b37f08529b150702064771236d747d.png

I’m more inclined to got for something like westdubs where they will fit a front elevating roof for £2500 ish.

Not a Diesel!!!

ClioSport Club Member
  LY Meg Cup-S + MX5
My wife won’t sleep in a tent. So yes.

But this was always really for me. And I can go away to hillclimbs / sprints and tracks and sleep in the van.

Fair enough. I have always liked the idea and a few blokes at work use them as there only vehicle.

I guess they are small enough to be a daily or ok on tight roads.

However the trade off I guess is less space. But great for 1-2 people.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough. I have always liked the idea and a few blokes at work use them as there only vehicle.

I guess they are small enough to be a daily or ok on tight roads.

However the trade off I guess is less space. But great for 1-2 people.

That’s it. I took the camper into York and parked in a multi-storey car park. Couldn’t do that in a winnebego.

I’m running this as a daily just now as well.