ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to do a time lapse project, cheaply?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
The missus wants to do a project for work. They're refurbing some bedrooms in her hotel and ideally want to do a time lapse showing the change from old style rooms to new. The problem is she's not got much of a budget for it and we haven't got any camera equipment, so I was thinking webcam maybe? Can anyone advise on hardware and software to look at? The other problem is she needs to start on Thursday so hardware from China is out, will have to be from UK sources.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
The missus wants to do a project for work. They're refurbing some bedrooms in her hotel and ideally want to do a time lapse showing the change from old style rooms to new. The problem is she's not got much of a budget for it and we haven't got any camera equipment, so I was thinking webcam maybe? Can anyone advise on hardware and software to look at? The other problem is she needs to start on Thursday so hardware from China is out, will have to be from UK sources.
Surely just something like a SJ Cam would do?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Bear in mind that the cheapest gopro won't allow you to change the intervals. It's 2 shots per second so just think how long you want to time lapse for.
I left mine running the other week on the boat and I ended up with 11,000 images to chuck into photoshop.
You can speed it up once edited but it'll still be a long video with a lot of files.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Neither of you got an iPhone? They do it just fine... I've done plenty of time lapse videos with it :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Bear in mind that the cheapest gopro won't allow you to change the intervals. It's 2 shots per second so just think how long you want to time lapse for.
I left mine running the other week on the boat and I ended up with 11,000 images to chuck into photoshop.
You can speed it up once edited but it'll still be a long video with a lot of files.
Ah bummer. I'm sure mine did 2/5/10/30 secs ?! Its ancient too...

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Ah bummer. I'm sure mine did 2/5/10/30 secs ?! Its ancient too...

Yeah I've got the Hero, was the most basic model last Christmas (might be a newer one out that you can adjust now) very limited on what you can do with it. I should have bought a better model.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Each phase of the refurb is 2 weeks so will be a hell of a lot of photos if the interval is too short. I'll have a look at the go pros.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You'll need to do your sums though as if its too long an interval you'll blitz thru it when it gets turned into a video and miss the action hah !

Assume 24 or 30 frames per second of film.

So if you do one shot every 15 seconds, assume a 12 hour day of filming which ends up turning into 120 seconds of video @24fps that you end up with for each day.