ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to disconnect the battery without the alarm going off

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Never had this issue before, but now on my third Clio and when I disconnect the battery the alarm keeps going off. I need to disconnect it to remove the airbag to fit a Sparco steering wheel, but the bloody thing won't stop going off!

Any thoughts on this? Can the alarm be disarmed to stop this from happening?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Cant help with alarm - Pull the airbag fuse instead to save removing battery

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Open bonnet, lock car, disconnect earth, alarm should sound, touch earth onto negative, Open car, alarm should turn off

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Never had this issue before, but now on my third Clio and when I disconnect the battery the alarm keeps going off. I need to disconnect it to remove the airbag to fit a Sparco steering wheel, but the bloody thing won't stop going off!

Any thoughts on this? Can the alarm be disarmed to stop this from happening?

Does it beep at all when you unlock / lock it?

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Eh?

Just unlock the car and take the battery off, no reason why the alarm should be sounding ?

My thoughts exactly! Didn't have this issue on my other two 1*2s before this one. No beeps when I lock or unlock it.

The car was unlocked when I disconnected the battery, prior to it deafening me and annoying the neighbours last night ?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
My thoughts exactly! Didn't have this issue on my other two 1*2s before this one. No beeps when I lock or unlock it.

The car was unlocked when I disconnected the battery, prior to it deafening me and annoying the neighbours last night ?

Weird...

Absolutely no reason for it to go off if the car is unlocked.

Did you disconnect the negative first then the positive?

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Weird...

Absolutely no reason for it to go off if the car is unlocked.

Did you disconnect the negative first then the positive?

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong – I always take positive off first. Will try taking negative off first when I get home! With some ear plugs in...

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Maybe that's where I'm going wrong – I always take positive off first. Will try taking negative off first when I get home! With some ear plugs in...

Not sure if it makes a difference to the alarm, but it's safer to remove the negative first because if you accidentally ground that against something metal nothing will happen, if you ground the live against something with the negative still connected you'll get a nice shock and possibly fry something.

Negative first off, last on.

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Not sure if it makes a difference to the alarm, but it's safer to remove the negative first because if you accidentally ground that against something metal nothing will happen, if you ground the live against something with the negative still connected you'll get a nice shock and possibly fry something.

Thanks! Every day is a school day :D

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup

Well this didn't work sadly.

Open bonnet, lock car, disconnect earth, alarm should sound, touch earth onto negative, Open car, alarm should turn off

And neither did this :( Really don't know what's going on with it. When the alarm does go off, the only way I can get it to stop is to start the engine, and even then it still takes a few seconds to stop.

Cant help with alarm - Pull the airbag fuse instead to save removing battery

If I do this, is there definitely no risk that the airbag might go off in my face given that the battery will still be connected?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
The moment you disconnect it, it’s same as disconnecting the battery anyway.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I assume car alarms are self powered somehow so they still function without the battery, like in this case. We had a similar issue with the house alarm before where if they power cut out, the alarm would start to go off. It was the backup battery dying, so the alarm in the outside sounder box went off instantly because the rest of the system had lost all power.

I've not got a clue if the same thing would happen with a car but sounds plausible?

Somnambulist

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Yes I think you're right, the alarm must have a standalone back up battery. Just seems bizarre that I haven't had the issues on my other 1*2s and I'm pretty sure it's the OEM alarm – no signs of anything aftermarket. Hopefully the airbag doesn't go off in my face tonight and that'll be the end of it!

I assume car alarms are self powered somehow so they still function without the battery, like in this case. We had a similar issue with the house alarm before where if they power cut out, the alarm would start to go off. It was the backup battery dying, so the alarm in the outside sounder box went off instantly because the rest of the system had lost all power.

I've not got a clue if the same thing would happen with a car but sounds plausible?

Yep most modern car alarms have a battery which takes over when the battery is disconnected. The Clio does too. It’s hidden away in a hard to get to location