ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How far would you drive to Test Drive a Renaultsport?

How far would you drive to Test Drive a Renaultsport?

• up to 20 minutes

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • up to 40 minutes

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • up to an hour

Votes: 68 26.3%
  • over an hour

Votes: 47 18.1%
  • over 2 hours

Votes: 86 33.2%

• Total voters

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Not sure why this is a sticky thread.

I would drive anywhere in England Wales or Scotland for the right Clio. Would have to be really low mileage and pristine on the ad though

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
When i bought my new Mini, i took it for a normal test drive which was around half an hour, then when i was really interested in it i got an extended test drive and had the car for 1/2 a day.

If your going to spend 30k on a car, you need to see what its like in your day to day environment. Not with someone sat next to you.

Lotus Elise
I'd drive as far as necessary tbh. I really want to drive a Cup S or Trophy R but unfortunately I cannot find any dealers willing. Plus the chat feature doesn't appear to work on the Renaultsport website.

M135i is looking like the only option as I can actually try one...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Renault are dreadful in this respect. I wouldn't buy new from them again, ever.

Suzuki Jimny
Agreed. They really should be more willing to let people near the cars.
I popped into ford to look at the mk3 focus st when it was launched and was immediately asked if I wanted the keys for a drive, same story with mazda last week with the new MX-5.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Ford were more than happy to let me drive the Fiesta ST and pretty much every dealer local to me had one in to drive as well.

It was like they actually wanted to show off how good the car is, and well, now i have one...

Exige, M140i
I live in Scotland and regularly travel to the south of England to pick up cars. My Megane was from London, Elise from Leeds, Clio from the Midlands somewhere (can't remember where), several cars from around Peterbourgh... Cars tend to be in better condition down there due to less salt on the roads etc.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Depends on the drive. Is it a test drive around town or could it be some track fun?

Seb Delaney, a Youtube car vlogger just flew to Bordeaux to test drive the new RS.

RS 200 EDC Cup
I live in Ireland and travelled to Dorset to the south of England to buy mine two weeks ago. The distance? 670 Kilometres or 9 hours 15mins. I couldn't test drive it but knew I wanted to buy from this particular independent dealer and the car was a 2015 with great spec and low mileage. I also had their own in-house super-sports exhaust system put on to it before I went over so the deal was effectively done prior to me travelling.

Am I happy with the car? As a Renault sport car, absolutely. But there are a few gremlins that I could have picked up if i had of test driven it. I knew the risk and took it so no sour grapes, just a bit disappointed. Would I go back to them? No. You what they say about meeting your heroes :confused:

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
^ in fairness that was a totally independent garage and in no way associated with Renault UK.

RS 200 EDC Cup
Yes absolutely. I stated it was an independent dealer already in my post. I still drove that distance to test out a Clio RS as no official dealers had a car I was interested in. That was the original question.

RB 182 Cup,E46 M3 CS
I drove 3 hours to buy the clio, my M3 was 50 minutes away but I had previously put a deposit on one nearly 4 hours away (having been to view and drive it). The person who bought my old E82 came down from somewhere near Aberdeen to Manchester, but he got a cracking deal on it!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
100 miles radius I put on my searches. CBA as most second hand motors are never like they seem in the ad. Went to see 3 Clio 200's and all looked perfect, but were scuffed and has crunchy boxes.

Land Rover
Not very far by the looks of it. Have had four people interested in mine but “too far away”
I think l need to move to the Midlands, sell it, then move back to Cheshire!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I was prepared to travel to Cumbria or Middlesbrough to buy a car in the last few weeks/ days.
Doesn’t bother me if I’ve got all the answers to questions before I travel and the seller’s genuine... but there lies the issue. I’m on the south coast too so 6 hours on a train and similar drive back.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Went to Kent from Middlesbrough earlier this year to pick up the mrs 250cup - it ticked all the boxes, low mileage and good spec. Travel as far as you need to for the right car, if your waiting for one to land on your doorstep you might be waiting forever.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I went to Enfield to try a facelift Trophy. The demo car was being used by a salesman and was full of old McDonalds boxes and empty water bottles and personal effects. Hence why they do not like test drives. I’ve also never had an issue with my 220 Trophy gearbox. I don’t think distance is an issue it’s the service you get when you arrive that’s important.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I went to Enfield to try a facelift Trophy. The demo car was being used by a salesman and was full of old McDonalds boxes and empty water bottles and personal effects. Hence why they do not like test drives. I’ve also never had an issue with my 220 Trophy gearbox. I don’t think distance is an issue it’s the service you get when you arrive that’s important.
I had literally the same with mine, it was ex demo car, 1500 miles, went to look at it 5hrs after contacting them to say I was coming, and it was dirty, full of rubbish and the saleman who was using it could tell me even less about it than the one who sold me it. I bought it anyway as it was nearly new, LY and no longer in production so my options were limited!