ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
this doesnt need its own thread but lawn mower taken of my front garden at 6.30am.

so i put some bits behind the wifes car to go down the recycling centre, this included the lawn mower, so its not a big deal its been taken.

but come on, just help ya self!!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
What a piss boiler. Suspect he was in that van and they were scouting the neighbourhood.

That's pretty impressive resolution on that camera though, I was surprised that the scum was so clear on it when full-screening the image.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Similar Hikvision camera to mine i think, 4MP anyway.

Really good quality but part of me thinks i should have got the PTZ version.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Similar Hikvision camera to mine i think, 4MP anyway.

Really good quality but part of me thinks i should have got the PTZ version.
i plan to put a second camera at the front of my house at some point, lower down and aimed at the road to pick number plates up

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
just fitted one of these two minutes ago
Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I | 4mm 8MP Mini Bullet Network CameraDS-2CD2085FWD-I-4

Seems great quality, I ordered a 4mp too to see the difference, its going back now though as for 50 quid more the 8mp is far superior.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
just fitted one of these two minutes ago
Hikvision DS-2CD2085FWD-I | 4mm 8MP Mini Bullet Network CameraDS-2CD2085FWD-I-4

Seems great quality, I ordered a 4mp too to see the difference, its going back now though as for 50 quid more the 8mp is far superior.
as with most things in life it comes down to money and how much you want to spend.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Right lads, looked through this thread and done a bit of searching but this is all as clear as mud to me.

So, I have a garage to the rear of my house with a double drive (side by side). I'd like a camera on there to cover the drive. It'd only be a single camera. I'd like a dome or turret camera, whichever is better.

My questions are;
Can you get good quality cameras that record straight onto an SD card? Seems you can from a post a few pages back and if so, I assume the card can be taken out and put in a laptop/computer to view the footage?
If you can get one that records straight to a card, would if be possible to view it wirelessly on your phone somehow?

A dvr for just one camera seems a bit ott to me.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
this doesnt need its own thread but lawn mower taken of my front garden at 6.30am.

so i put some bits behind the wifes car to go down the recycling centre, this included the lawn mower, so its not a big deal its been taken.

What lens size is that? Really good quality for not much money.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Right lads, looked through this thread and done a bit of searching but this is all as clear as mud to me.

So, I have a garage to the rear of my house with a double drive (side by side). I'd like a camera on there to cover the drive. It'd only be a single camera. I'd like a dome or turret camera, whichever is better.

My questions are;
Can you get good quality cameras that record straight onto an SD card? Seems you can from a post a few pages back and if so, I assume the card can be taken out and put in a laptop/computer to view the footage?
If you can get one that records straight to a card, would if be possible to view it wirelessly on your phone somehow?

A dvr for just one camera seems a bit ott to me.
Yes you can do all the above bit to view them you will still need to network them back to your router, then do the necessary set up to get them on line

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

You really need something mounted lower, at that height you fall into catching top of heads with no way of identification , so ask yourself what's the system actually doing?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I know it's a long shot but does anyone know much about this setup (pictured below)? I've just moved into a new house that has 4 external security cameras, the recorder and the display monitor. None of it is hooked up and there's no instruction manual. There's a fair few cables running into the walls and what appears to be a custom 220v power supply (that is constantly flashing a red spanner symbol, suggesting there's an error in the system somewhere).

20180921_184643.jpg

20180921_184715.jpg

20180921_184630.jpg

Cheers. :)

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Hikvision Cameras, BRIX Mini PC and Hik-Connect. Love my set up.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I know it's a long shot but does anyone know much about this setup (pictured below)? I've just moved into a new house that has 4 external security cameras, the recorder and the display monitor. None of it is hooked up and there's no instruction manual. There's a fair few cables running into the walls and what appears to be a custom 220v power supply (that is constantly flashing a red spanner symbol, suggesting there's an error in the system somewhere).

View attachment 1387127
View attachment 1387128
View attachment 1387126

Cheers. :)
Replace it for a hikturbo machine, and upgrade the cameras it will be junk if you ever get it going (power supply should be fine)

Be fine on the existing cabling

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Replace it for a hikturbo machine, and upgrade the cameras it will be junk if you ever get it going (power supply should be fine)

Be fine on the existing cabling
Thanks mate - will check it out.

I'm assuming you are referring to the HIKVision Turbo stuff like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078TM1YJH/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Sorry for all the questions but is there a specific external camera you would recommend? I would like to keep to a budget of £750 (or less).

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My mum is just opening a shop in the local town centre.. shouldnt really be any issues but she wants a single camera, more deterrant than anything, as there wont be anything worth stealing overnight anyway.

Would the indoor Nest camera do the job?

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
My mum is just opening a shop in the local town centre.. shouldnt really be any issues but she wants a single camera, more deterrant than anything, as there wont be anything worth stealing overnight anyway.

Would the indoor Nest camera do the job?
Pics of your mum?
Yeh a nest or a ring one should do it

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Thread bump.

What’s a good set up out there now?

Still hikvision? The 8mp stuff worth the cost over the 4mp stuff?

Also. I know people want better definition because it’s better definition. But does it really matter?

A thief isn’t going to know if it’s 4mp or 8mp. Does it lead to more prosecutions or just more pounds leaving your bank account for the installation and then you get to see the stolen gear leave in better quality for the last time too?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Thread bump.

What’s a good set up out there now?

Still hikvision? The 8mp stuff worth the cost over the 4mp stuff?

Also. I know people want better definition because it’s better definition. But does it really matter?

A thief isn’t going to know if it’s 4mp or 8mp. Does it lead to more prosecutions or just more pounds leaving your bank account for the installation and then you get to see the stolen gear leave in better quality for the last time too?

They do a wi fi mini dome camera now too not sure if you can download and save video on phone thru the app also
Or if it's not stored via st card in cam and external drive.

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Cheers.
Looks like there are loads of people out on Facebook to install the 4x 5mp for £5-600.

Are they legit? Or is it a front for getting inside people’s homes and having a good nose around?

Seems like the kit is £4-500. So to charge £100 or so to install seems a bit off for me.

Or am I being too cautious?

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hey guys, I'm needing to move pretty quickly on the installation of new CCTV to replace the existing broken setup. Anybody have any experience of this kit?

@Christopher. , @Gaz_ ?

Would you recommend this setup or able to recommend something similar / better? Happy to pay a little extra for a better product but will need the facility to add up to 6 cameras.

Many thanks.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Never heard of them Andy. We always use HikVision at work. It's very good.

Looks like you've got older cable with BNC so maybe an older style recorder might suit you better. Quality isnt as good obviously but you can get them with all the modern apps.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
.....or search for hiwatch, basically a cheaper (if that's such a thing) hik. Basically last generation more cost effective solution

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Never heard of them Andy. We always use HikVision at work. It's very good.

Looks like you've got older cable with BNC so maybe an older style recorder might suit you better. Quality isnt as good obviously but you can get them with all the modern apps.

Do any of the new hiks do colour night vision ?