ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home cctv and phone apps? recommendations please!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
There's a big difference between downloading and uploading. I wouldn't want that constantly using my upload bandwidth
It'll be negligible for 1080p. And I don't believe it's a live feed of recording constantly.

Again. It's not a debate about it. I just wanted to see if anyone's had any actual experience with it hands on.

Clearly I've come to the wrong place. Usually this place is useful...

DCi
@welshname it appears obvious that no one who has posted so far has experience with the kit you are interested in.

breathe!

while I'm here, @DannyR do you have a model number (or link :) ) to one of those PoE / SD card cameras please.

SQ5
Dynamic DNS always works, you must of not set it up properly. If you had set up plenty of CCTV in the last you would know all the downfalls of the Nest by reading about it.

Does the nest even give notifications on movement? I feel it will be the same as a normal camera and go off all the time as no camera has a depth or 3D perception of what it is viewing?

Iain, what style camera would you be looking at, dome or traditional style?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Why would I know about nest from setting up CCTV in the past?

Friends and family hand me a box of s**t they have bought and ask me to fit it.

I don't go out and research all the other solutions on the market and tell them not to buy something I've never used because it has a monthly cost associated with it. I just crack on and setup what they've got.

And dynamic DNS is a pig in my experience using it. And it's nothing to do with not knowing how to use it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I fit cctv, and wouldn't bother with nest and the like

Nothing wrong with dynamic dns, I use NO IP never had any connection issues, must have at least 100 sites on it

Dahua/Hik wouldn't bother with anything else, at that price point they are very good

For the price I wouldn't even go the SD card route, Little 4ch nvr on your network 4/5mp turret dome, job done

Notifications with a decent camera with line crossing capability etc are pretty solid too

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve not got too much information but the house we are buying has a 3 camera set up that can be viewed live on iPhone etc. Without going into details on specs how easy would it be to upgrade the cameras for better quality video? Or does it all depend on the make/model and how it’s set up?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I fit cctv, and wouldn't bother with nest and the like

Nothing wrong with dynamic dns, I use NO IP never had any connection issues, must have at least 100 sites on it

Dahua/Hik wouldn't bother with anything else, at that price point they are very good

For the price I wouldn't even go the SD card route, Little 4ch nvr on your network 4/5mp turret dome, job done

Notifications with a decent camera with line crossing capability etc are pretty solid too
Thanks.

Nice to hear a valid opinion. A
s I'm only looking at 1 camera, 2 at a push what kind of pricing am I looking at?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well, depends what you want to pay really

For a plug and play HIK, 4 channel nvr 1TB HDD (easily give over a months back up for one 3mp camera at a decent frame rate) £400sh ish give or take for the recorder (be careful there's lots of non Uk machines about on eBay & amazon) then another £150 ish a camera.

Bit of cat 5 between the recorder to consider etc along with some RJ45 plugs and a bit of port forwarding

Saying that, just found this

http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision...e-4-channel-nvr-with-4-port-poe-upto-8mp.html

Bargain

And I'd be looking at this type of camera,

http://trade.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-ds-2cd2342wd-i-4mp-external-exir-turret-dome.html

The Perspex domes tend to suffer with IR bounce back which give poor images at night, the "turret style" tend to be a lot better and it's what I'd recommend

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well, depends what you want to pay really

For a plug and play HIK, 4 channel nvr 1TB HDD (easily give over a months back up for one 3mp camera at a decent frame rate) £400sh ish give or take for the recorder (be careful there's lots of non Uk machines about on eBay & amazon) then another £150 ish a camera.

Bit of cat 5 between the recorder to consider etc along with some RJ45 plugs and a bit of port forwarding

Saying that, just found this

http://www.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision...e-4-channel-nvr-with-4-port-poe-upto-8mp.html

Bargain

And I'd be looking at this type of camera,

http://trade.cctvkits.co.uk/hikvision-ds-2cd2342wd-i-4mp-external-exir-turret-dome.html

The Perspex domes tend to suffer with IR bounce back which give poor images at night, the "turret style" tend to be a lot better and it's what I'd recommend
Cabling isn't an issue. I work in networking and infrastructure so I'll be cabling the house up over the coming months anyway.

Cheers for the info.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Just started reading this thread as thinking about cctv. Just looking Hikvision 1-4ip kit builder.
What people's thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Also anyone able advise on coverage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCi
Dynamic DNS always works, you must of not set it up properly. If you had set up plenty of CCTV in the last you would know all the downfalls of the Nest by reading about it.

Does the nest even give notifications on movement? I feel it will be the same as a normal camera and go off all the time as no camera has a depth or 3D perception of what it is viewing?

Iain, what style camera would you be looking at, dome or traditional style?
probably dome if I did it

ok, so revisiting this thread, ive been looking at this kit
Is it POE ?
can i view it from an app on my phone?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TQQ8Y9I/?tag=cliospnet01-21

if it isnt poe whats the up to date equivalent? i want at least 2 cameras so want the option of adding another 1 or 2 or a full kit with 4!

Looking on the maplin site there is so many different swann kits, its hard to understand the difference in them all

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
IMG_3350.PNG
f**k swan mate

You want something better

I fit dahua, that's a 4mp, nothing too fancy in the grand scheme of things

You do get what you pay for

Yeah i get that but i want to know what im paying for! i want to just buy a full kit, be able to screw it in to the wall and view it from my phone when im not home!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
my 3 cameras record something like 25GB a day of footage, that's a lot to be uploading onto a cloud.

Who cares? It's not enough data that it'd slow down a half decent internet connection and unless you're limited on transfers it makes no difference.

The Nest app is really good but it's not a cheap setup.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah i get that but i want to know what im paying for! i want to just buy a full kit, be able to screw it in to the wall and view it from my phone when im not home!
How many cameras you after?
Can you make off an rj45 plug you reckon?

Hik vision stuff looks a bit cheaper, is this poe? the dome cameras, can they be mounted sideways on the walls ? im assumign the cameras can rotate to be the right way up ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBTCQO8/?tag=cliospnet01-21

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
You'd have to link the NVR back to your router and then use the Hikvision iVMS app to view on your phone.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
My friend has installed a nest camera, and I’m sold.

The simplicity of setup, I.e buy a camera, screw it to the wall a get power to it, and the ability to have alert zones on your phone (you draw boxes on the screen of the cameras view and setup alerts when you’re not home for certain areas), have sold me on it.

I don’t even mind the yearly fee given how good it is

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My friend has installed a nest camera, and I’m sold.

The simplicity of setup, I.e buy a camera, screw it to the wall a get power to it, and the ability to have alert zones on your phone (you draw boxes on the screen of the cameras view and setup alerts when you’re not home for certain areas), have sold me on it.

I don’t even mind the yearly fee given how good it is

A friend of mine works for nest and has shown me it. Feels expensive for what it is but when you consider the tech, plus cloud storage and how scrolling through previous footage is as easy as it is and like you say - not having to f**k about with your own hard drives before it works is a compelling package.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A friend of mine works for nest and has shown me it. Feels expensive for what it is but when you consider the tech, plus cloud storage and how scrolling through previous footage is as easy as it is and like you say - not having to f**k about with your own hard drives before it works is a compelling package.

It is expensive, but I think as you say, simplicity and the quality of the UI is brilliant. You can tell in seconds any time someone has stood on your door step for example and even talk to the amazon delivery man. It’s epic!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got HiKvision 4K at mine running 4 cameras. It’s a good bit of kit, do occasionally get connection issues via the mobile app and did have a camera s**t itself last week as well to be fair. But overall I’m pleased with it and you can get issues with anything.

Ive ordered it, im hoping its going to be easy to set up! i see you can setup push notifications for motion detection to, another thing ill try and navigate through!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
@Gaz_

What do you reckon on this? im thinking to buy this then buy another camera, can those dome cameras be wall mounted then moved to view downwards? and is there a way to setup an app on my phone for live viewings?
Appreciate any help

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIKVISION...957664?hash=item466e1ac060:g:CkAAAOSwv-ZZ6c9g

yeah so that’s hi watch as suggested

Should do what you need, looks like it’s all there to plug and play

don’t bother setting up motion unless running dedicated line cross cameras and or external detection unless you want 600 emails when you wake!

It relies on pixel changes, so think moving clouds, rain sun etc, so anything environmental basically.

Line cross cameras on the “better” ranges are more reliable

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Hikvision are good, IR reflection on the domes isn't great, but the alternatives are pretty fugly and I'd rather have the dome on the front of the house.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Hikvision are good, IR reflection on the domes isn't great, but the alternatives are pretty fugly and I'd rather have the dome on the front of the house.
if the IR leds cause an issue ill just unplug them

SQ5
We just use the turret style ones with a separate IR chip next to the lens.

After a few days and one rainy day you won’t be able to see anything at night

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I’m tempted to install a UniFi G3 pro seeing as I have UniFi kit anyway and run their video server application on my NAS under docker.