ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hillclimb spec

Clio RB182 turbo
Afternoon, I'm looking to do a bit of hill climbing after just purchasing a Clio 182 turbo. I have seen a few posts on here referring to the "blue book" and just wanted to know what spec my car will need to be to enter. ie will I need a cage, bucket seats or harnesses, Can I run uprated spring? Any information on this would be great or anyone who is currently hill climbing that could provide a insight? Thanks

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
In A2 road going class you dont need any extra equipment over standard, just certain criteria to be met such as no rose joints / solid top mounts, poly carb windows to start as theres a few things. You can still have it highly modified in this class

With being a turbo conversion this will automatically put you into B2 modified class I think or possibly a class such as C2 as the turbo didn’t come as standard
Im not too clued up on the exact spec for B2 / C2 however I think a cage may be required for these classes aswell. Maybe some other guys will be able to say for sure

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Link below to the 2018 blue book, it isn’t the easiest to understand especially for someone new to it.
https://www.motorsportuk.org/assets/000bb2018completelow-res88.pdf

Being a turbo conversion may really over complicate things for getting it to fit into a class and then you requiring alot more to meet the regs. All depends on your budget I suppose. My opinion is that it would be alot simpler to ditch the turbo and go for A2 class or even B2 depending on the modifications you want to carry out.

You might be better signing up to some of the hillclimb forums such as uphill racers to get some info from guys who have had experience with the classes for engine / turbo conversions

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
If you're in modified (which you will be with a turbo) you'll need a cage. There's also a 1.4x multiplier on forced induction, so you'll effectively be 2.8 ltr.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
If you're in modified (which you will be with a turbo) you'll need a cage. There's also a 1.4x multiplier on forced induction, so you'll effectively be 2.8 ltr.

Would it still come under B class or would it then go into C class as clio’s didnt have the option of a turbo as standard? Would be in similar class to cars with engine conversions I would think
I tried to have a look at the blue book but wasn’t very clear as usual!

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,

Which class you would run in is really dependent upon the mods that have been done to your Clio and to a lesser extent which events you want to run in and where you are.
If you are entering MSA events then the blue book is your friend. Alternatively there is Javelin Sprint Series which has its own set of rules and regs. If you want to run in MSA events then your Clio could run in Class 1C over 2000cc ( A Clio would normally run in 1B but as Alex says there is a 1.4 multiplier). The big question is what else has been done to your Clio? For example ffor Class 1B or 1C you have to have most of the interior still in the car, but you can fit alternative front seats. You must run original shock and spring mountings so no coil-overs on the rear and no rear anti roll bar . If highly modded you go into Modified Production which requires further compliance. requirements. The 2018 Blue book is here https://www.motorsportuk.org/assets/bb2019completemed-res.pdf start at page 341 Technical Regulations. Whichever class you end up in don't expect to be instantly at the front of your class just get out there and have some fun!!

Induction is free on all A classes so you can add a super or turbo charger to to any roadgoing car. Many Mazdas have a supercharger conversion and end up in A3 *South West allows upto 1.8 turbo in A3 so my old TT didnt have to compete with Imprezzas or evos. You have to retain all road going trim and back seats etc but you can remove the seats to upgrade to racing seats etc. You can only run list 1B tyres the blue book is available as a PDF here Blue book link

Clio RB182 turbo
So far is 182 turbo, standard interior nothing removed, no cage, standard shocks but lowered springs, nankang semi slicks on 2118's . Hoping this might help, I'm think Class 1B or 1c from what you guys have said?

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So far is 182 turbo, standard interior nothing removed, no cage, standard shocks but lowered springs, nankang semi slicks on 2118's . Hoping this might help, I'm think Class 1B or 1c from what you guys have said?
Depending on where you are you’re likely to be Class 1C assuming your tyres are on the MSA 1b list.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Is England different from the scottish classes? Clios are A2 for road going class and B2 for modified in Scotland

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I think the classes in regards to 1A 2A etc are relative to what championship you are doing. I will be doing 3B for examplewhich is modified production upto 2000cc in my championship, but I think in another that could be a different class e.g 2B. I might be wrong though.

The easiest way to stop confusion is to use their proper names, standard class, road going, modified etc. :)

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sweet ok! I'm based in Cheltenham! Will check the list has it been updated yet this year?

The three regularly used hillclimbs closest to you are Prescott, Shelsley Walsh and Loton Park. and the Midland Hillclimb Championship covers all these venues.looks like you would be running in call A(ii) assuming they apply the multiplier for your turbo https://www.midlandhillclimb.co.uk/regs)

The 2019 blue book has all the eligible tyres for you class which will be the 1b list

The Classes are called different names in different championships for example class A(i) for the midland hillclimb championship is called 1B for the Harewood Hillclimb championship. and to add more confusion for Harewood there is a class for up to 1,400cc ( 1A) but it appears they are all lumped in with the up to 2,000cc class for the Midland Speed championship. If in doubt check with regular competitors of these respective championships/the website/the organisers for help and clarification. I compete in the Harewood Hillclimb championship

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
First of all what Licence have you got?
As this will have a large bearing on which championships you can pick and choose from.
Rich