ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High idle between 1k/2k revs.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
So noticed this more today. While my car is cold, until it warms up, the car is idling at like 1.2k - 1.7k. And it's revving its self too. Is it just something to expect on these engines?

Cheers ?

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
No.

Have you got an air leak somewhere?

I Don't know. Maybe the inlet manifold is the only one that comes to mind? I only just had the guys down at two tecs do a full cambelt change.

It was idling badly before. It felt fine yesterday but it was only this morning I noticed it. If I rev with the accelerator tightly it stops it though. And idles normally at around 1k.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
QUOTE="JamesBryan, post: 11683412, member: 44780"]No.

Have you got an air leak somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Come to think of it I've been due to change the inlet manifold gasket I keep not changing it. Could that be causing the high idle issue?

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Come to think of it I've been due to change the inlet manifold gasket I keep not changing it. Could that be causing the high idle issue?

If it's leaking air which it sounds like it is yeah.[/QUOTE]
It might be leaking air I have to check tomorrow morning. Only place I can think of. That would be the issue. I don't imagine it be anywhere else? What other places are there that can leak air? Before entering the engine?

PH2 172
QUOTE="JamesBryan, post: 11683412, member: 44780"]No.

Have you got an air leak somewhere?

Come to think of it I've been due to change the inlet manifold gasket I keep not changing it. Could that be causing the high idle issue?[/QUOTE]

Change the O ring as well.

A new one is soft & compressable, my old one was hard as nails.

Is the car a PH1 ?

18-09-09 New inlet O ring.jpg

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo

Change the O ring as well.

A new one is soft & compressable, my old one was hard as nails.

Is the car a PH1 ?

View attachment 1394902[/QUOTE]
The car is a ph2. Im not sure where this goes?
Is it the inlet manifold?

Get a new gasket from Renault wolves on here, about a tenner.

Take you about ten mins to fit it.

I'll get one ordered

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Have you checked that it's not an air leak somewhere?

I had this with my ph1 and it turned to be the throttle bottle gasket. I know the ph2s have a o-ring but worth checking around that area first.

PH2 172

I had this with my ph1 and it turned to be the throttle bottle gasket. I know the ph2s have a o-ring but worth checking around that area first.

Have you had a bottle ( or two ) whilst doing the housework?

Maybe it`s the paint fumes.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Between the top and lower inlet manifold .

The o ring?

So the o ring attaches to the throttle body? How can I tell if there is an air leak? Will it be blowing air out? Or sucking?

Should be able to feel it I would think.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
  PH2 172

The Ph2 throttle body has an elongated "O" ring, which RPD told me is only supplied when you buy a throttle body.

The Ph1 has a conventional gasket, but that`s not relevant to your problem.

A smear of grease should seal it effectively.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
My usual way to find airleaks is to spray a little easy start around the areas I think may be leaking and see if it effects the rev's. Haven't tried it on a clio though, usually on bikes and older cars.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
The Ph2 throttle body has an elongated "O" ring, which RPD told me is only supplied when you buy a throttle body.

The Ph1 has a conventional gasket, but that`s not relevant to your problem.

A smear of grease should seal it effectively.

ye i think ill get some grease lol. not gonna get a new body just for a gasket.

If it's an air leak will be something small.

Ye it must be i woke up got in car and it idled at like 1.1k ... which is around about where it idles when its hot. Still reved its self alittle but nothing above 1.3k
where as yesterday it was 1.8k almost 2k

My usual way to find airleaks is to spray a little easy start around the areas I think may be leaking and see if it effects the rev's. Haven't tried it on a clio though, usually on bikes and older cars.
Ye i thought about that. Never been a fan of easy start tho.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
You don't have to use easystart, brake cleaner etc does the job just as well. You're only spraying a minute amount around the seals to see is there's air dawing in anywhere.

dan's cast offs.
use penetrating fluid, spray it round, it's thick enough that when it gets sucked in to the leak it seals it and idle will drop, even if it's only for a couple of seconds.