ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi from warrington! Need help please :)

Hi,

I have decided to bight the bullet and buy a clio and need some help! I have decided to go for a 182 if i can find one in budget.

Never owning a clio i have no idea what to look for and what to avoid? So anything i should know?

Also i am going to use it occasionally on the road and on track days so if i can find one that has some track modifications all ready to save me money that would be great. Also what modifications would you recommend for track use?

My budget is £2k or less , does that seem reasonable? Any advice you can help with would be great or any you know any for sale that are good cars too?

Thanks in advance noel :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If you are looking for a well looked after 182 you will need 2500-3000 imo.

For £2k or less, a 172.

Imo.

Mods.

15" wheels, team dynamics or similar.

Lowering springs, h&r get my vote. I've had them all. Or coilovers, b14 for soft use, BC coilovers for more track work. The latter being a bit more expensive.

Smaller steering wheel, 330mm is ideal.

Brakes. PBS pads and HC plain discs.

Exhaust. Personal choice.

Induction kit. Probably a ktec style.

The above should keep you going :)

awesome, this is the advice i need, i would go to £2500 for a looked after one.

can anyone or yourself @imprezaworks let me know what i should be looking for while I'm browsing eBay/auto trader? and then what to look for when i go to view any?

am i better of waiting one for one to come up on here for sale or .... ?

does it matter if its been tracked already as long theirs proof of regular oil changes?

the 182's don't have an LSD or anything like that do they?

i would probably go with coilovers to be honest.

330mm steering wheel you mention, is that a renault replacement or aftermarket?

thanks in advance.

Just purchase any Clio sport already track built with recent cam belt service and decent previous service history and you wont go far wrong.

Something like this...

or this...

i looked at the first link you sent, is that a good price for those miles and mods?

what's the main differences between the 172 and 182?

i looked at the first link you sent, is that a good price for those miles and mods?

Seems it mate yeah. If looked after they run to moon miles. Cant remember on the differences, maybe intake manifold and exhaust but no internals and they are closer in BHP than officially stated so don't get hung up on a 182.

awesome, this is the advice i need, i would go to £2500 for a looked after one.

can anyone or yourself @imprezaworks let me know what i should be looking for while I'm browsing eBay/auto trader? and then what to look for when i go to view any?

am i better of waiting one for one to come up on here for sale or .... ? Wait for one of here with documented history IMO, they come up often

does it matter if its been tracked already as long theirs proof of regular oil changes? Obviously its better if its not spent the last 30k miles at 7k rpm but an occasional track car isn't an issue as long as its been maintained

the 182's don't have an LSD or anything like that do they? No LSD but plenty of aftermarket options

i would probably go with coilovers to be honest. Defo (decent) coilovers, OE shocks and even aftermarket springs are a little to soft for track IMO

330mm steering wheel you mention, is that a renault replacement or aftermarket? aftermarket, OMP do lots of options

thanks in advance.

See above for answers to your questions.

Also have a look through my old build, bought it standard with not much history and spent a shite load getting it right and track ready hence why this time I bought a car built with good history and haven't looked back.

For differences check out these:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Never owning a clio i have no idea what to look for and what to avoid? So anything i should know?

Thanks in advance noel :)

Welcome aboard :)

Cambelts and the auxiliary belt kits are an essential check. Not only for being done, but also for being done right. Botched jobs can make engines self-munchy and clear evidence of the work needs to be looked into. Cheaper to do on the 172 Cup with the absence of the A/C, for 99% of them, that is.

Chances are it won't have the original exhaust. The back-boxes of the original (182) items were heavy, noiseless and rusted for fun. Several aftermarket options exist, but don't be too surprised if the tailpipes don't sit 100% perfectly in the cut aways.

Driveshafts can take some hammer and aren't the easiest of items to come across. Spark plugs, while a little bit fiddly to access due to the removal of the inlet plenum - are cheap and reliable. OEM NGK units (roughly £45 for a pack of four) are absolutely fine and I'd say, actually recommended.

Oil is good to change frequently - as is the gearbox oil. Discs and pads are plentiful in both options and availability, with @George@RTR_Parts - being the default Stopping Guru on here.

Hope the above helps a bit?

thanks @Darren S il keep an eye out for the work you mentioned, is rust a thing i need to look for? i was looking for either a mx5 or a clio and noticed the mx5 is horrendous for rust. i know im probably asking in the wrong place but for my needs is a clio better than an mx5?

i found this one on eBay that looks promising, but you guys might no more about it than me, and if its anyones on here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clio-182-low-mileage-195bhp/264413083335

iv only really seen 2 id be willing to take a punt on at the minute, one is the 172 mentioned above by some one else

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-172-cup-track-car-pms-spax-caged-114k-%C2%A32650.827718/

what your thought on the 182 on eBay i have seen? anything that i would need to do on it if i bought it? which is less likely to run me into problems?

cheers

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
welcome along Noel

cheers @Darren S . As mentioned I can help with brakes and various other parts, which ever car you choose

I've driven both the clio 172 and mk1 and mk3 mx5s a lot on track, both great little track cars but quite different. The obvious being one is a FWD hatch and the other a RWD 2 seater, so need to decide which you think you'll prefer, both ideal for getting into track days and both are fun

if you get a car from the forum which has be used on track, good chance all the common issues/jobs have been seen to, and will have some mods on all already (y)

thanks @Darren S il keep an eye out for the work you mentioned, is rust a thing i need to look for? i was looking for either a mx5 or a clio and noticed the mx5 is horrendous for rust. i know im probably asking in the wrong place but for my needs is a clio better than an mx5?

i found this one on eBay that looks promising, but you guys might no more about it than me, and if its anyones on here.

iv only really seen 2 id be willing to take a punt on at the minute, one is the 172 mentioned above by some one else

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-172-cup-track-car-pms-spax-caged-114k-£2650.827718/

what your thought on the 182 on eBay i have seen? anything that i would need to do on it if i bought it? which is less likely to run me into problems?

cheers
There's a nIce looking MR2 here for £2K, I can confirm that are a hoot on road and track albeit not quite as quick as a Clio sport.

im a little torn between these too, im not sure which is the better car both have their pros and cons, anyone have an opinion?

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clio-172-cup-track-car-pms-spax-caged-114k-%C2%A32650.827718/

sorry @JB21 iv been told they are a hoot to drive and they always pop up on the track days, but i drove a turbo one years ago and i found it a little hard to control in a slide compared to an mx5 il be honest.

sorry @JB21 iv been told they are a hoot to drive and they always pop up on the track days, but i drove a turbo one years ago and i found it a little hard to control in a slide compared to an mx5 il be honest.

Yeah that's mid engine for you. Not to everyone's taste and driving style. I love mine though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

cheers

Surprisingly, they aren't too bad for rust generally - but it can be a bit of a lottery. Common areas are inside the petrol filler flap (mine has it there) and along the cills - especially if they have been roughly jacked up over time. Don't forget, even the youngest 182 will be in its 14th year of existence now, so the liberal use of salt on our winter roads, plus other regular debris can have all eaten away at the protection underneath.

Some oddball parts are expensive for what they are. Like the front splitter underneath the bumper - a simple strip of plastic that is well north of £200 at dealer prices. KTEC used to do a carbon offering for half that price, but I think even they have stopped on that now. Other parts like the bonnet are dirt cheap - don't bother repairing it with rust/stone-chip damage as a standard unpainted Mk2 Clio bonnet is around £60. The OEM seats are well known to crack on the leather and the bolster parts on the side crumble away. The steering wheel looks like its propped up against a bar heater for an hour too - they have a horrible habit of looking melted.

If you're serious about tracking it - dropping the standard 16" wheel size to 15" might be worthwhile?

im a little torn between these too, im not sure which is the better car both have their pros and cons, anyone have an opinion?

Something just doesn't seem right for me. Figures are optimistic as mine made less with cams at EFI and the fact he's selling straight after being mapped and doesn't know things about the car like what pads it's running.

I like this one

Hmmm, im not too sure, i just asked the 182 owner a few questions @JB21 , hes only had it for 3 month, but hes going self employed so needs the money he said. He said the car is sound and he intended to keep it and if he wasnt going to he wouldnt have spent over 1k on it. Anyone have an opinion on these?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The 172 is a 172 cup.

Don't get too hung up on wether it's a cup car just get a nice one.

The RB looks to be a cup.

Hmmm, im not too sure, i just asked the 182 owner a few questions @JB21 , hes only had it for 3 month, but hes going self employed so needs the money he said. He said the car is sound and he intended to keep it and if he wasnt going to he wouldnt have spent over 1k on it. Anyone have an opinion on these?
It's only in Skem and I go to bannatyne there so could meet you to go look at the car if you want someone to look over it.

Ok im going to go look at the RB one i think first, only because its 20 mins away, the 172 cup looks very clean but has 25k more miles and slightly older but i know it doesnt matter as long as its been looked after, but i talked to eddy with the 172 cup and he is 2 hours 30 mins away so i thought look at the RB first.

What do i need to be checking when i go look? Or listening for? Hes told me about all the belts etc been done and dates, is their anything i need to check? Oil leaks from certain places?

Cheers

That would be awesome @JB21 yeah id appreciate that a lot, il send you a PM and whenever convenient for you. Anyone would have more of a clue than me i think, hence all the questions haha.

No go the 182, guy has no history for it all all he said so think im going to walk away from it. Drop me any cars you come across that you think are good :) thanks for the help people.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It's only in Skem and I go to bannatyne there so could meet you to go look at the car if you want someone to look over it.

You go the gym in Skem?! Used to live and work in Flem, what a lovely place.

dan's cast offs.
i recognise the reg on the rb but don't think i've seen the car in the flesh unless it was before it was stripped out.

philm's rb is for sale, he's prescot way ish?

@bloke literally just seen it on the for sale bit a few pages deep, he said it needed to be sold by wed a couple of week ago or it was been part x’d so guessing im too late