ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi-Fi Setup for cheap

172 Cup
Morning!

I am looking around for a Hi-Fi setup for our spare room. Not looking at spending a busting amount (£150 max really). Had a mooch on Richer Sounds and came across this:

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah011671

Anyone know if its any good? I'm not going to be blasting the 'chooons out, primary input will be a record player. More interested in sound quality, but wouldn't mind a good amount of bass.

Mostly listen to ska, reggae & punk, with a bit of classic rock thrown in every now and then!

172 Cup
Yup already have the deck (its a pretty cheapo one, but would look to upgrade in the future if needed. It also has in-built phono stage, so can be plugged straight into an RCA jack).

I'm not sure I would really notice the difference in stepping up nearly 220 quid for the marantz. I'm by no means and audiophile! Is it generally best to buy new, or can decent deals be had on eBay etc?

Another stupid question! Would you get a good sound quality using a car amp? I have a decent two channel amp in the garage doing nothing. So would just need a 230-12v transformer, and roberts your mothers brother. Or do they pale in comparison to Hi-Fi quality kit?

Listerine & Poledo
Sorry, mis-read that deal, thought it said £119. Seemed cheap!

Richer sounds is a better bet than saving a tenner on eBay, seriously

Indeed, sign up to their VIP club (doesn't cost you) and you get 10% off all your purchases too, result

Listerine & Poledo
Get that VIP club bit sorted before you go in, takes all of about 5 minutes.
Also, they may have some ex-display stuff worth looking at. ON the RS website, check the clearance section, select MK and see what you see.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I went in to Richer Sounds to buy a cheap audio setup. £250 iirc for an amp, speakers, wiring kit and a CD player.

£1200 later an I emerged with an amp, some USB cabling (no need for a CD player) some speakers and a sub.

It's a dangerous shop!!!

But in fairness, I have a BANGIN stereo at home now. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I went in to Richer Sounds to buy a cheap audio setup. £250 iirc for an amp, speakers, wiring kit and a CD player.

£1200 later an I emerged with an amp, some USB cabling (no need for a CD player) some speakers and a sub.

It's a dangerous shop!!!

But in fairness, I have a BANGIN stereo at home now. :)
I did something similar, went to my local RS for a pair of headphones.

£400 later I walked out with a pair. [emoji106]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It's lethal in there!

It's even more lethal when your wife finds your receipt. I speak from experience.

Listerine & Poledo
The will power of you people, lol.
If I didn't fear credit cards so much, I'd be just as bad ;)

172 Cup
Get that VIP club bit sorted before you go in, takes all of about 5 minutes.
Also, they may have some ex-display stuff worth looking at. ON the RS website, check the clearance section, select MK and see what you see.
They've got an AV5 (one up from the one i'm looking at) on clearance. Damn, i've been fooled by the upsell without even stepping through the door!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The will power of you people, lol.
If I didn't fear credit cards so much, I'd be just as bad ;)
If I was allowed a credit card I'd be f**king lethal!

I'd have some proper cool s**t though.