ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Here’s one for the tuners...

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
My 172 engine rebuild as follows:
Forged 9.5 or 8.5 - 1 pistons and rods(depending on availability)
lightened flywheel,
paddle clutch,
ported head and inlet.
ED turbo kit
PMS race exhaust - no cat.

....and here is my question.
I’ve bought 197 cams and a gpN 8degree advance timing tool (before I headed down the blown road)

Anyone any experience of using these cams, same advance and forced induction?
ED recommend using the standard cams and leaving the timing alone.
I will still be running with a dephaser.

All wise and informed input gladly welcome and seriously needed.

Anyone just chipping in with no technical background or “this might affect your mpg or MOT” nonsense .. a little less so.

Thanks in advance..

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
What power you aiming for?
I was going to buy the ED 280 kit , but apparently the piggyback ecu has been discontinued. So ED offered a modded 230 kit modded for lower compression which would yoeld. 260.
Really, I’d like 280.

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
No point in using 197 cams and boost is the general consensus

@bloke may know more more about it
That’s kinda the bit I don’t understand. ED used to offer a turbo kit for the 197/200 before everyone started going the meglio route. So, why won’t it work in a 172 block?🤷‍♂️

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
That’s kinda the bit I don’t understand. ED used to offer a turbo kit for the 197/200 before everyone started going the meglio route. So, why won’t it work in a 172 block?🤷‍♂️
Because the cams for the 197 have different lift

The 197 cams are matched to the pistons, headgasket valves etc for a certain compression ratio and timing. I know a lot of megane lads put 172 cams into their cars, they're good enough hahaha

Desmoben1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 ph2
Right. Sincere thanks to all who contributed and for the solid advise you’ve given.
Looks like I will be adding my 197 cams and group N timing tool to that overloaded shelf of surplus parts in my garage.🙄