ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!

Juhu_United

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 BG
Hello everyone,

Here is my situation. I took the car in for it's MOT today and it failed. What it failed for is inoperative headlight washer jets. They were disconnected by the previous owner because they are notoriously sh*t on 182s and they leak which just drains the bottle. The garage gave me 2 options, either have them look at connecting it on Monday which will cost a minimum of £40 (labour) or reconnect them myself and take it in for a free retest...

He said that because he now knows about it I cannot just fit blanks over them which seems like BS to me, and I don't especially fancy doing that then having to pay another £35 for another MOT at another garage.

Basically I am wondering if there are any kind souls out there that might have the time to reconnect them for me or whether they can tell me whether it is an easy job for someone with VERY limited mechanical skill

I live in Penryn in Cornwall but work in Truro during the week. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Don't have any experience of them but I'm guessing all that's been done to disconnect them is the hose has been cut/removed and the hole blanked, just reconnect them for the MOT and disconnect after?

I'm sure someone will be able to help out.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
You have xenons, you should have jets...

It's not that hard to do, but if you don't know what your doing you might get stumped. There are a few awkward bolts and you need to yank the bumper out at the wheel arch to remove the final clips..

New washers are about £30 each I think, I fitted new ones because..

Does your washer pumps work foshow?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
The only option is to swap out the headlights for 172 cup items and get rid of the xenons if you can reconnect them.

Or take it somewhere less fussy

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You don't NEED washer jets for an mot, but if they're fitted they must work.

If I was you I'd reconnect them for the mot, then when you get home for some colour coded blanks to save any future issues.

Juhu_United

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 BG
thanks for the replies. Yeah what I'm saying is they need to be working to pass the MOT so is there somebody local that would be willing to help or is it something that I could do myself with relative ease?

I would ideally buy blanks and fit them and take it somewhere else but as I have already paid for the MOT with a free retest then that wouldn't really work

Megane 250
Do you know how/where they are disconnected? Are they definitely disconnected, and it's not the headlight washer motor has given up?
How long do you have to get it sorted to claim the free retest?

Juhu_United

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 BG
Do you know how/where they are disconnected? Are they definitely disconnected, and it's not the headlight washer motor has given up?
How long do you have to get it sorted to claim the free retest?
The guy I bought it from 2 years ago said he disconnected them because they leaked constantly. Sadly I have no idea how he did so, and after trying to get the bumper off today to investigate and finding 4 of the bolts holding it on are completely rounded off I have no real means to find out. I am going to call the garage tomorrow to see how long the free retest lasts for but either way the MOT needs to be done by the 31st. Should be a fun week....