ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP ..sump nut just keeps turning

Clio 197
changed my plugs and air filter earlier but couldn't manage the oil, it looks like the sump nut has been cross threaded possibly...what are my options ?

None
If you are lucky then it's the nut that is damaged and once out you can just put a new plug it but if the threads on the sump are damaged then you will have to tap out the hole to the next available size up and buy a suitable nut to fit, try undoing it again but this time see if you can get a flathead screwdriver behind the bolt head and force it downward as you turn the bolthead, it may find it's way back into the thread pattern.

None
No you can do it where it is, once you have the old one out and the oil has drained then just having the front end up on axle stands will be enough, taps are only about three inch long so there won't be a problem.

Once you have the old one out you will be able to look under with a torch to see if the sump threads are damaged, ebay will be your best bet for a set of taps i think.

ITB'd MK1
be fine to tap in situ. what you should do is get a litre of cheap ass oil and once you've done the thread repair, leave the plug out and let the oil flow straight out to just rinse any small bits of swarf out

Clio 197
thanks for the help lads, glad its not a sump off job!

Now lets hope i can release the little bugger!

None
Couldn't swear to it but being french it's bound to be metric so at a guess i would say M12 or M14 but that is a guess more than anything factual mate, can't find it in the haynes manual either.

Clio 197
would a helicoil be ok for this job ? i have heard they can pack up after a few oil changes or am i talking crap ?
that would be the easier option compared to tapping as i would need to source a bigger sump nut with tapping

I did the same job on my mates cosworth, I used a 20mm conduit tap and a 20mm brass bung.

Remember to work clean if doing it in situ, as said flush out, I used an old hoover too (invaluble in the garage) lol

Clio 197
bumping my old thread here but my next oil change is due in 1k or so and i need this sorted.

Can anyone confirm 100% the thread and pitch of the OE 172 sump bung as another thread i read states it as M14 not M16 - i am struggling to source an appropriate tap (from my dads work collection) - the chances are greater with the smaller size, if i can i will save myself the £30 for the tap if i can borrow one.

thanks