ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Having problems removing OMP boss.

Marc87_RB 192

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 cup, E92 335i
I’m trying to reset the steering angle sensor due to tc light on the dash but can’t remove the omp boss, I’ve undone the nut and refitted the steering wheel but after 30 minutes of hard tugging it won’t budge. Usually a good hard tug leaves a happy face and a messy tissue but in this case the tugging reaped no reward.

Any tips? Obviously my tugging isn’t up to standards.

Thanks ?

Ps. Off to the bathroom to practice.

2003 Clio 172
Can't offer any advice about removing the boss other than yank it lol, but with regard to the steering angle sensor, are you sure you have the correct boss? I have an OMP one and it doesn't have the tabs for the steering angle sensor so have bought a momo one instead.

Marc87_RB 192

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 cup, E92 335i
I’m not sure to be honest it was already on the car. The indication for the steering angle sensor is showing blue, any idea on how to check if it’s the correct boss?

2003 Clio 172
I’m not sure to be honest it was already on the car. The indication for the steering angle sensor is showing blue, any idea on how to check if it’s the correct boss?
Once you get the boss off the car, have a look to see if it has these two little tabs on the back that engage with the steering angle sensor. If it doesn't, you'll constantly get the warning light as it can't engage with the angle sensor.
20180912_101646.jpg

2003 Clio 172
Funnily enough I had a bit of an issue removing my OMP boss this afternoon when replacing with a momo one. It took a bit of pulling (without the wheel on), but it did eventually come off. Was a stubborn b*stard mind...

The omp one shouldnt bring on the lights the wiring that goes into the boss doesnt have much leave way and still moves the squib, aslong as its set correctly it should be fine

2003 Clio 172
The omp one shouldnt bring on the lights the wiring that goes into the boss doesnt have much leave way and still moves the squib, aslong as its set correctly it should be fine
As long as its the version with the tabs. If it isn't you'll get a traction control warning light, even if the steering angle sensor is set correctly. Mine was showing the yellow dot, but because my boss didn't have the tabs I got the light.

Marc87_RB 192

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 cup, E92 335i
The steering angle sensor is moving when I turn the wheel so I’m guessing it’s got the tabs, I will have another go at removing on Monday, just need to have my Weetabix in the morning. ?

Cheers

Im 100% theres one and it has no tabs. The tabs arnt needed it just makes for a smoother turn, as the wiring that goes into the boss moves the whole thing, I can guarantee the omp doesnt have this issue, I was under the impression the omp was talked about because it was just an inferior design like the CC plug or something couldn't fit through the hole but there was no issue otherwise.

You can see the wiring here, it moves what the tabs would, theres just a bit play but if its set correctly that shouldnt turn on the lights.

dsc02506-jpg.jpg

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Usually a good hard tug leaves a happy face and a messy tissue but in this case the tugging reaped no reward.

Any tips? Obviously my tugging isn’t up to standards.

Thanks ?

Ps. Off to the bathroom to practice.
Can’t help with angle sensor but I gave mine a good tug and my tissue was full of blood from the wheel hitting me in the face, tip- leave the bolt in place lol

2003 Clio 172
Im 100% theres one and it has no tabs. The tabs arnt needed it just makes for a smoother turn, as the wiring that goes into the boss moves the whole thing, I can guarantee the omp doesnt have this issue, I was under the impression the omp was talked about because it was just an inferior design like the CC plug or something couldn't fit through the hole but there was no issue otherwise.

You can see the wiring here, it moves what the tabs would, theres just a bit play but if its set correctly that shouldnt turn on the lights.

View attachment 1385766

Not quite sure how that would work properly, but if it did for you then happy days. I had exactly the same setup (omp boss and steering angle sensor set correctly) and still had a traction control warning light. Lights went away as soon as I fitted a momo boss with the tabs.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I refitted mine with the steering wheel at the wrong angle, this was enough to set off the traction light. So it may be nothing to do with having the incorrect boss ?