ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harry's RS172

20190324_160030.jpg

Hello and welcome. This is the thread where I will document the 'restoration' of my newly acquired clio 172.

I purchased this on a bit of a whim... But an RS clio has been on my list for a while (in any form)

Spec: Non-cup 172 with 41k miles

Initial Review after brands hatch:

Handling - playful, intuitive, lively chassis. Predictable lift off oversteer, but a lack of mechanical grip (old tyres, now replaced!) 10/10
Drivetrain
- The straight line performance wasn’t mind blowing, and I had to work for it! MPG was impressive - strange quality to say about a track car, but I was amazed how little I had to stop for fuel, compared to the previous turbo motors I had been tracking ( fiesta ST, BMW m135i) 8/10
Driving position…
the less said about that the better. At least the pedal position is OK! :) 5/10

Summary:
I love hot hatches and I think this model is one of the finest!

View attachment 1412021

Second update:

Changed all four tyres for Continental SportContacts and had tracking done (just front toe). The car brakes and grips much better but seems to torque steer like a pig now! Maybe the tracking was done badly?

Also the check engine/ battery light started flickering. When I went to start it again recently the battery was dead. I am reconditioning it with a CTEK MXS, which may sort it... Or I may need a new battery... Or alternator?

I am going to brands hatch next Tuesday evening, hopefully in the Clio! If not I'll take my mr2 mk1

Cheers,
Harry

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Great car, even greater name :sneaky:

Love infernos! What tracks do you tend to go to? The clio feels at home there for sure

I’ve not done many track days, my first one was a trip to the Nurburgring lol. No previous experience at all!

I think I did pretty well haha. Looking at Oulton Park in September I think

I have just put the reconditioned battery in the car. The voltage across the battery was 12.6V. Then when the engine was on the voltage surged between 12.6 and 13.5 volts - leads me to think that there is a problem with either the alternator or the alternator regulator??

IFAIK the voltage should be a steady 14.4 with the engine one, or thereabouts.

Does this diagnosis sound correct and how easy is the job to change alternator?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I have just put the reconditioned battery in the car. The voltage across the battery was 12.6V. Then when the engine was on the voltage surged between 12.6 and 13.5 volts - leads me to think that there is a problem with either the alternator or the alternator regulator??

IFAIK the voltage should be a steady 14.4 with the engine one, or thereabouts.

Does this diagnosis sound correct and how easy is the job to change alternator?

Alternators seem to be a weak point on the 172/182! I have replaced my fair share. If you are fairly mechanically minded it's not too bad a job. Easier in my opinion to remove the front bumper, slam panel and o/s headlight. Gives you much more room. Jubilee clip around the tensioner. Undo alternator and replace.

When was tensioner and aux belt last done. Might be worth changing at the same time. The tensioners seem to seize in a fairly short space of time. Get a new alternator and don't bother messing around with used ones.

Alternators seem to be a weak point on the 172/182! I have replaced my fair share. If you are fairly mechanically minded it's not too bad a job. Easier in my opinion to remove the front bumper, slam panel and o/s headlight. Gives you much more room. Jubilee clip around the tensioner. Undo alternator and replace.

When was tensioner and aux belt last done. Might be worth changing at the same time. The tensioners seem to seize in a fairly short space of time. Get a new alternator and don't bother messing around with used ones.

Thanks for the heads up. I am just wondering whether it may be a connectivity issue - when I corner hard in one direction, the warning light disappears :unsure:. Looking down at the alternator there is a plastic wiring clip that looks like it should have two wires from it but one has frayed

Does this look wrong? Anyone know a good way to test this sort of electrical gremlin