ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords socket sets

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else think Halfords are pricing themselves out of the market, prices just keep going up and they're at point now where you could get a Snap on blue point set for the same money.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else think Halfords are pricing themselves out of the market, prices just keep going up and they're at point now where you could get a Snap on blue point set for the same money.

I would suggest you haven't bought anything from Snap On recently.
The Halfords stuff is superb quality for the money. Go price up the same things from Snap On and see how much more expensive it is. Ive been buying Snap On for over 25 years now and if i was starting again, id have no reservations about the Halfords stuff for the most part, it does everything you need and would have saved myself a fortune.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The one I got the old man for Xmas seems decent tbf, they had no issue replacing a ratchet even tho I thought there was nothing wrong with it

I wish Wera would do some bigger sets tho, I’ve got a smaller one and it’s superb.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
When the Blue point sets are on offer they're good value, halfords don't do a big enough range in my opinion to be a professional choice, lack of long and flex ratchets and soft grip handles and the screwdrivers are turd, it ok for diy but not much more

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
When the Blue point sets are on offer they're good value, halfords don't do a big enough range in my opinion to be a professional choice, lack of long and flex ratchets and soft grip handles and the screwdrivers are turd, it ok for diy but not much more
Blue point is Laser/Sealey quality though so not comparible to Snap On IME.
Even some of the Draper expert stuff is nicer IMO, especially their impact range.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Bought some sealey sockets and torx / allen bits off their big container stand at autosport.
Some of their new stuff is quite nice and it came with lifetime warranty aswell
If you can get a trade card it really helps with the halfords prices

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what quality is like these days but I’ve got a set of flex head ratchet spanners from Halfords I bought years ago (I want to say 12).

Anyway, why I mention it...I’ve also got a set of MAC flex head ratchet spanners and I’ve broken most of the MAC ones yet the Halfords ones are still fine after all these years.

I have had stick for having them (being in the trade) over the years but I honestly can’t knock them for how good they’ve been.

I think they’ve changed manufactures over the years so not sure what they’re like now.

I’ve also had a Halfords torque wrench for prob 9 years. I was out one day and my snap on one broke (mobile and had to have one ASAP doing multiple fleet jobs) so bought one from the nearest Halfords on trade card. It looks like Beta to me with black n orange design and also stayed with me and been great.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Also tell me where your local Snap On is so that you can walk in and swap out broken items for brand new replacements? That alone is why I'd pick the halfords kit. Had mine for well over 10 years, only 3 items have broken and those were the cross head and flat head sockets due to getting wet on those home mechanic weekends being caught out.

Also got a large halfords double roller tool box, again another quality bit of kit.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The older Halfords Professional stuff was really good quality, the ratchet spanners were made by Gearwrench and until the latest generation of Snap On ratchet spanners were probably the best around, the Torque wrenches were and still are made by Norbar which makes stuff for lots of brands and are good quality.