ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a bump (non fault), want to settle privately, other party doesn't

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Had a minor bump Yesterday going straight over at a large roundabout van pulls out last minute from the exit before mine completely blocking the two lanes for my exit. Had nowhere to go, slammed on and stopped just short of van but got shunted from behind. Was freezing and a busy roundabout (notorious for accidents) so pulled up out the way. We both had places to be so exchanged numbers, took his reg and got his first name, he got mine. He admitted liability at the time and I felt bad for him as I had nowhere to go and neither did he thanks to the van. I said what do you want to do about it as I'm fully comp and protected NCB but mine only needs a bumper insert, a reflector and a blow over essentially (visible damage obviously). I said I'd prefer not to go through insurance as it'll cost us both in the long run. He said fine, get a few quotes and I'll speak to you later.

He got back to me today, saying he wants to go through insurance and is that ok? He also admitted liability again on text. I repeated it would end up putting both our premiums up but I'm completely covered, so he can deal with it however he wants to.

His came off worse than mine, looked like it might need an HID light so maybe that's why. I only gave him my first name and number as neither of us had anything to write on and both left pretty quick after, so I don't know if he has my reg or not. Now I could probably fix mine for £200 and really don't want a non fault accident against me and I have no idea if the guy has my details for the claim on his insurance. I found his full name (phone number on Facebook) and I can get his address on 192.com (only one in area), my phone number isn't linked on Facebook. I'd rather right off the repair cost than inform my insurance, but I know I'm meant to. Any advice?

Suzuki Jimny
I'd go through insurance. He sounds worried about the possibility of you claiming whiplash etc.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Other than trying to convince him, or even contributing to his cost of repair if you think it's going to cost you that much, there's not a lot you can do.

2007 clio dynamique
If I was you I would not contact your insurance , if needs be just deal directly with his insurers , its normally easier especially if he is admitting liability , they will pay for it to be repaired with no messing , that's how I have dealt with it in the past , before when speaking to the 3rd party insurers they told me they prefer it this way as it saves them time and money

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I thought I was doing him a favour by suggesting it but I don't mind if he wants go through insurance, I'm not even bothered about a quick fix TBH. I've only ever had one other crash and that was my fault (and 15 years ago). So I'm more weary of it'll cost me X amount in increased premiums, whereas I have a good idea of cost to repair. I get your point Mace, but it irks me that I'd be "more of a risk" and penalised for it, because a bint in a van went full r****d which neither me or the guy behind ever expected to happen.

Clio
I get what you are saying but from his point, paying you £xx is what he has his insurance for, it's easier and he probably thinks it isn't worth his hassle for the chance of getting screwed over.

Only thing I could suggest is tell him you are happy if he claims off his insurance and says he hit a wall no one else involved. Then again, I would expect he would think WTF you must have some scam going on. Tough one from his point of view.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Yeah I didn't want to sound too weird pressing him about sorting it privately. I don't think he was getting my point about my premium would be affected regardless of if he admitted liability, as I should be declaring a non fault claim, even though I'll effectively be returned to the same situation as before the accident.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Had a minor bump Yesterday going straight over at a large roundabout van pulls out last minute from the exit before mine completely blocking the two lanes for my exit. Had nowhere to go, slammed on and stopped just short of van but got shunted from behind. Was freezing and a busy roundabout (notorious for accidents) so pulled up out the way. We both had places to be so exchanged numbers, took his reg and got his first name, he got mine. He admitted liability at the time and I felt bad for him as I had nowhere to go and neither did he thanks to the van. I said what do you want to do about it as I'm fully comp and protected NCB but mine only needs a bumper insert, a reflector and a blow over essentially (visible damage obviously). I said I'd prefer not to go through insurance as it'll cost us both in the long run. He said fine, get a few quotes and I'll speak to you later.

He got back to me today, saying he wants to go through insurance and is that ok? He also admitted liability again on text. I repeated it would end up putting both our premiums up but I'm completely covered, so he can deal with it however he wants to.

His came off worse than mine, looked like it might need an HID light so maybe that's why. I only gave him my first name and number as neither of us had anything to write on and both left pretty quick after, so I don't know if he has my reg or not. Now I could probably fix mine for £200 and really don't want a non fault accident against me and I have no idea if the guy has my details for the claim on his insurance. I found his full name (phone number on Facebook) and I can get his address on 192.com (only one in area), my phone number isn't linked on Facebook. I'd rather right off the repair cost than inform my insurance, but I know I'm meant to. Any advice?
New rules do mean that premiums aren't that badly affected by non fault, so I'd just let him take it through insurance and have yours sorted out.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's just less hassle for him. What happens if you're not happy with the repair?

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
New rules do mean that premiums aren't that badly affected by non fault, so I'd just let him take it through insurance and have yours sorted out.
Ah I didn't know that, thanks. It's been that long since I've had to deal with a claim I was just dreading a big hike. It's due in a few weeks as well, typical :unamused:

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
It's just less hassle for him. What happens if you're not happy with the repair?

I was seeing that more as a ballache for me, which I wasn't looking forward to, finding a reputable body shop. I was hoping to maybe pick up a complete bumper on ebay TBH but it's a facelift Ibiza, FR model, 5 door, in a less popular colour, zero available.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't someone on here get screwed recently with an insurance claim because they hadn't informed their own insurance?

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
So if someone crashes into you and accepts liability, and you claim off his insurance, then your insurance will go up? Is that what happens, I don't know tbh but to me that sounds funkin crazy

2007 clio dynamique
I was seeing that more as a ballache for me, which I wasn't looking forward to, finding a reputable body shop. I was hoping to maybe pick up a complete bumper on ebay TBH but it's a facelift Ibiza, FR model, 5 door, in a less popular colour, zero available.
Tell them you want to take it to a place of your choice , seat for example , pop down they will quote it and send it to his insurers

182 ff
So if someone crashes into you and accepts liability, and you claim off his insurance, then your insurance will go up? Is that what happens, I don't know tbh but to me that sounds funkin crazy
its not going to go down is it... you are more of a risk,in their eyes..