ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding from rear on full lock

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
So i'm getting a grinding from both sides on full steering lock, it's the kind of grinding you get when your brake pads have worn down, they were an advisory on the last mot so i'm guessing that's what it is.

The main thing I want to know is should the discs move like that when cornering, as surely that'll wear the pads down?

If not then i'm thinking the rear bearings may be f*cked?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Pads should move with the discs and they should both move with the wheel. HTH.
Pads move in and out, discs go round and round.

If the pads move with the discs, something is afoot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453924630.688653.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dave, are you talking about front or back? Your title says rear but your post insinuates front.

Why you lie?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453924833.953817.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Jesus wept I wish I was dead.

When i'm on full lock both ways, the REAR corners are grinding, like caliper on disc grinding.
Rear wheel bearings on there way out?

Jack the car up, take the hand brake off and give the wheels a spin/wiggle. :smiley:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Rear wheel bearings on there way out?

Jack the car up, take the hand brake off and give the wheels a spin/wiggle. :smiley:
Finally someone that understands English, I did think the rear discs shouldn't be contacting anything when cornering, it would explain why the rear pads are suddenly an mot advisory when all they essentially do is stop the car rolling away when parked.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Finally someone that understands English, I did think the rear discs shouldn't be contacting anything when cornering, it would explain why the rear pads are suddenly an mot advisory when all they essentially do is stop the car rolling away when parked.
Also while your there check that the caliper slides and caliper pistons are free bud, they do seize up and will bind on the disc.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Will do mate, I was going to replace the pads before it's next mot in a couple of weeks anyway, so it's a good time to give it a once over see what's going on.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you actually jacked the rear up and seen if the calipers are binding?

Have you jacked the rear up and wobbled the wheel to see if there is any play in the bearings?

Or have you just asked a load of mongo's on a forum who have never seen your car?

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'm leaving it to CS so it can be put on a plinth and displayed at CSF each year, like the Top Gear Hilux except in slightly worse condition.

topgear.jpg

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It's definitely coming from the rear, after work I went into Leeks car park opposite and drove in a circle on full lock both ways, at low speed my exhaust is quiet and with no rear seats I car hear every creek and rattle from the back, it's the sound of calliper grinding on disc, the more I think about it the more it sounds like the rear bearings are f*cked and the discs are moving side to side when cornering.

Next free day I get i'll jack it up and see if there's any play in the wheels/discs.