ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil

Clio 182
Looking to change the gearbox oil in my 182, I have 1L of 75W80 that I bought for my last car (BMW stuff). Is any 75W80 OK?

If so, I will buy some more of the same brand.... which leads me onto my next question which is how much do I need? And if anyone has a link to a walk through of some kind to changing it that would be useful too, thanks.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
As long as it’s synthetic it will be fine, if memory serves its 3.1 litres but you can get away with 3L.

It’s easy to change just drop the old oil like doing the sump then refill from the plastic butterfly on the front of the box.

Have some pipe and a funnel handy makes the job a lot easier when refilling.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Cheers, only got the car last week... am changing all the fluids etc before I track it (y)
good call. Gearbox oil for me in the next few days, but cant see where to get the recommended ELF 75W80 stuff that quick?

Anyone know- ebay is next thrusday earliest- really need by Tuesday

3.1 ltr, maybe new copper washer for drain plug

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It needs to be gl4 spec oil. Post up a link to the oil you’ve got and I’ll confirm if it’s the correct stuff.
Some oils can actually damage the synchros, so you need to be reasonably careful what oil you use.

406 V6, Race Buggy
As above, although the BMW manual box oil is usually okay - in fact one of the BMW oils is what I use for better shifts in some Peugeot and Renault boxes that are a bit sensitive to oils and have brass/bronze synchro's

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001