ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gap insurance help

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I want to get some gap insurance for my wife’s car which is coming up to five years old.

We’ve found that because we’ve owned the car for over six months (just) it’s difficult to get cover. We bought the car in mid January this year.

Anyone else had this issue and git any recommendations

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
It is usually only available to purchase at collection or very short after. Open to abuse otherwise.

I'm a little confused... (easily done, mind.)

I thought GAP was only to cover potential differences between the brand new price paid and potential value of a Total Loss insurance payout in the first year or two, when depreciation is highest and finance might still be owed after the insurance pays out (because you won't yet have paid enough to cover the initial hit of depreciation)..

Is the depreciation curve that steep at 5 years old that loan/HP payments cannot keep up with it?

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi,
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel fr some customers it can make a cost effective alternative. Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi,
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss Protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel fr some customers it can make a cost effective alternative. Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.
Hello Dan,

Please can you explain how this wording on the webpage:
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
WHAT ABOUT MODIFIED OR CLASSIC CARS?

Modified or classic cars are often insured on an agreed value basis, however, there may be some circumstances where agreed value is not available, such as a heavily modified car insured with no mileage restriction, or a classic vehicle that is kept on the road in certain parts of the country. For these people, Total Loss Protection can be an invaluable top up to ensure they receive the true value of their vehicle in the event of a total loss claim.

and this wording in the small print of the policy:
Your Insurance does not cover;
10. Your Vehicle if it has been modified other than in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification, it is used as taxi or hackney carriage, it is a driving instruction vehicle, emergency vehicle, mini bus, heavy goods vehicle over 3,500 kg GVW, motorcycles, scooters, quad bike, trike, or invalid carriage

seem to totally contradict each other?

• Haha
Reactions: Pep

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi.
You appear to have selected an out of date policy wording.
Please go to the following address:-
Scroll down to Total Loss Protection and Click Trinity Lane and then you should see Trinity Lane Total Loss Protection 2018 08.
This is the correct wording with no modification restriction.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi.
You appear to have selected an out of date policy wording.
Please go to the following address:-
Scroll down to Total Loss Protection and Click Trinity Lane and then you should see Trinity Lane Total Loss Protection 2018 08.
This is the correct wording with no modification restriction.
Regards,
Dan.

Hello Dan.

Thank you for the clarification.

I selected the link contained within the 'policy booklet' wording on the webpage you linked to:
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE?

Full details of cover provided are in our policy booklet. If you would prefer to buy your policy over the phone, you can speak to one of our highly trained staff.

Just call us on: 0800 081 0777
You may wish to update your website so that link is correct and points to the Trinity Lane policy you have linked to:
https://d2mul7yli79m9i.cloudfront.n...RINITY_LANE_Total_Loss_Protection_2018_08.pdf

While you are here, please may I check the situation regarding vehicle forfeiture within the Trinity Lane policy?

The T&Cs say:
2. For this Insurance to become effective, Your Motor Insurer or the third party motor insurer must declare Your Vehicle a Total Loss, make a payment to You in settlement of Your claim, and the Vehicle forfeited.
Does this mean that you must forfeit your vehicle to either your insurance company or the third party insurance company (whichever you are claiming off of and who have declared the total loss)?

Or is it still possible to purchase the vehicle back from the insurance company for a nominal value (assuming it is only Cat D or Cat C, or whatever it is in the recent category changes) as one could do historically?

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hello Dan.

Thank you for the clarification.

I selected the link contained within the 'policy booklet' wording on the webpage you linked to:

You may wish to update your website so that link is correct and points to the Trinity Lane policy you have linked to:
https://d2mul7yli79m9i.cloudfront.n...RINITY_LANE_Total_Loss_Protection_2018_08.pdf

While you are here, please may I check the situation regarding vehicle forfeiture within the Trinity Lane policy?

The T&Cs say:

Does this mean that you must forfeit your vehicle to either your insurance company or the third party insurance company (whichever you are claiming off of and who have declared the total loss)?

Or is it still possible to purchase the vehicle back from the insurance company for a nominal value (assuming it is only Cat D or Cat C, or whatever it is in the recent category changes) as one could do historically?
HI.
Yes this would normally mean forfeiting the vehicle to the insurance company but I'm not sure where you would stand if you were to then buy back the salvage. If you want to leave it with me I'll check the position when I'm back in the office tomorrow.
Regards,
Dan.

HI.
Yes this would normally mean forfeiting the vehicle to the insurance company but I'm not sure where you would stand if you were to then buy back the salvage. If you want to leave it with me I'll check the position when I'm back in the office tomorrow.
Regards,
Dan.
Thanks very much, Dan, it would be good to have it clarified if you are able to confirm.