ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming monitor differences/£££££.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Past 12 months I've been using the Asus vs248hr monitor on the PS4, was circa £115 on Amazon.

Birthday looming end of May I'm thinking of asking for a contribution to a 'better' monitor.

With a budget of let's say £250-300 am I going to notice lots of difference?.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What sort of games do you play?

A more expensive monitor could support faster refresh rate or 4K resolution, if your PS4 does of course.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Think the PS4 is limited to 60hz?. Will be looking at the ps5 when it comes out and assume it will be 120 plus?

Shooters. Cod, BF4 etc

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Top end of budget but I enjoy gaming (when I get chance) so better to invest in the best I can afford

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Like I said, I haven't been reading much about them recently so their may be better out there for the price.

Don't be afraid of Korean brands like Crossover, I've had a few and they're still running flawlessly.

F82 M4
If it's for a PS4 then I'd just recommend a decent HDR TV instead

If it's for a PC then you can look at a 144hz one in that budget

EDIT: Just read it could be considered for a PS5. Need to know what HZ they plan on running at

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I used to play on the 50 odd inch wall mounted TV in the lounge.

I find the monitor much better to play on.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Next-gen consoles will be HDMI 2.1+ with support for VRR, QMS and per-scene dynamic HDR (4k @120Hz, 8K @ 60Hz). It's unlikely there will be enough grunt to run 8k games at 60fps though! :p

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't recommend a TV unless it has really low input latency less than 30ms I think is classed as low for a TV but most gaming monitors are 1ms. Especially if your playing fps etc. I hate my current TV for that!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't recommend a TV unless it has really low input latency less than 30ms I think is classed as low for a TV but most gaming monitors are 1ms. Especially if your playing fps etc. I hate my current TV for that!

This - definitely. You really don't notice how inferior (the majority) of TVs are in comparison to a decent monitor - until you try it. When I connect the PC to the TV via SteamLink, I have to be selective on what I can play. Anything requiring rapid screen refreshing such as AAA FPS or racing games look blurred and laggy.

Resolution to me is always secondary. I'd rather have super slick 120/144hz, flawless 1440 resolution than a slower, larger display outputting 4K. Once you see it, you never want to go back.

As @SharkyUK says - the grunt required to push 8K along well enough is going to be very, very high indeed....

Standard 1080 HD pixel count = 2,073,600
(QHD) 1440 pixel count = 3,686,400
4K pixel count = 8,294,400
8K pixel count = 33,177,600!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Would people advise going for a TN with a better response time1ms, or a IPS panel with a 5ms and better quality picture but with maybe a slower refresh rate (wether it's noticeable?).

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Would people advise going for a TN with a better response time1ms, or a IPS panel with a 5ms and better quality picture but with maybe a slower refresh rate (wether it's noticeable?).

I would go for IPS every time. You would be hard pushed to notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms unless you're some mad pro gamer.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yep will tend to agree.

Not something I looked into last time, assumed all the same (noob) just a matter of cost/performance etc.

Will be an ips with a budget of £300

Go......

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yep will tend to agree.

Not something I looked into last time, assumed all the same (noob) just a matter of cost/performance etc.

Will be an ips with a budget of £300

Go......

What size do you want? What resolution do you play at? Do you need any adaptive sync technology?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Its actually really hard to find a decent 1080p 60hz IPS 27inch screen lol I have just spend 15 ish mins and didn't find much.

Have you looked at VA monitors? They are in the middle of IPS and TN in terms of response time and picture quality. That's what I had until I broke it and it's what I'll be getting next. You can game on them and they also look great for watching films.

I'm using my old TN monitor just now and it sucks for viewing angles

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
yeah looked at va, but for online my thoughts are

Tn panel, faster response time, lower pic quality
Ips panel. A little slower response time, much better quality.
Va panel. half way house, most choose the above two??.

Unless i just get a better picture quality TN panel than the Asus VS248HR I have now. Was £115 as a price point.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer I saw that, maybe the contrast ratio could be a bit better. Not sure what the colour coverage is like. Looks like a nice monitor tho.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Going for this one.

Think I read it can go too 75hz?. It's 129 and the reviews look decent.

Unless I spend lots on an ips I don't think there will be much difference in quality.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Little thread bump, my lads is asking for a monitor for his xbox one, he also wants a keyboard and mouse for some reason, can anyone recommend one currently? i am not sure how much more it will offer over the HD TV he has with it been an older Xbox one?

Budget is probably £200 as it going to be for his bday.

Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I'm happy with the Dell 2717 which is an ips panel. I do notice a little difference over the previous TN panel in terms of speed.

Happy with it though as I'm not a pro and the colours are good.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I'm happy with the Dell 2717 which is an ips panel. I do notice a little difference over the previous TN panel in terms of speed.

Happy with it though as I'm not a pro and the colours are good.
Cheers mate, how much did you pay?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
think about 160.

Google dell se2717. Its an old model but decent enough. Theres bloody thousands to choose from lol

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
No worries mate.

It's far better than a tv. He will notice response times straight away.

Ben Q are good.

You can spend hours looking for one. Marketing plays a big part in 'how good' they are imo.

Much of a much ness.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
That's the problem mate, i am not a technophobe, but i not really up on monitors and things, i know some of the lads in on here know alot about them, i just think it will be weird him going from a 43" tv to a 27" monitor.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
@Willo40

Something like this is more than enough, original xbox one on the majority of games wont even output at 1080p anyway, also most games are 30FPS on xbox. Its an IPS panel with decent response time with a 60hz refresh rate so if you went for an xbox one x in the future it would still be suitable or for current games that run at 60fps.

Cheers mate, appreciated.

A4 Avant & A3
Thanks for the info, i'm in the same boat as Willo40, my 11 year olds birthday coming up & he wants a TV, but reality is, he wants his xbox one in his bedroom, so thinking maybe a monitor would be better.
I'm assuming you could plug in a firestick & use that for tv/films if he wanted to & I've seen some monitors with speakers built in, i'm sure they're not going to be amazing but i'm hoping good enough for him to play fortnite!

Also, he's been using an old keyboard & mouse of mine to play it & wants the backlit multi-coloured keyboard too!
Kids

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea if it's got multiple HDMI inputs then sling a firestick in one and you're away.

A4 Avant & A3
This any good? IPS with 2 hdmi & crappy speakers

Would this be better for xbox gaming than a cheapish led TV?
Wouldn't normally look in Argos for this type of thing but it's a decent price from what I've seen elsewhere.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lad I know of who YouTube's plays with the Samsung ue50 28" TV and rates it.

£200 ISH..

That looks ok tbf. Suprised it has a response time of 1ms.

A4 Avant & A3
Yeah, after reading this thread I've been looking around and 1ms for an IPS screen seems a bit too good to be true for the price. The refresh rate is 65 not the higher 144 but I'm not about to spend that much for fortnite!

I'm just undecided if it would be 'that' much better for gaming than just buying a TV for him. I'm no gamer so lost with all this.
The monitor has speakers so could watch a bit of TV with a firestick.