ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front brakes not fully releasing

Clio
Hi

Both front brakes on my Clio 182 do not appear to be fully releasing. If the car is not used for a period then the car will roll freely, however should you use it in stop start traffic say then they pump up and start to drag. This is exhibited by the heavier steering and that both front rims are warm even though I may not have been braking heavily.

The car was parked up for six months last year and it was only on recommissioning it that the fault manifested.

So far the car has now had replacement sliders, pads and front discs. The flexi hoses are braided Goodridge ones probably dating around 7 years old.

As the front brakes are equal in temperature and you can hear them gently rubbing the discs as the problem begins to occur, this to me suggests a fault further up between brake hoses and brake pedal.

I have seen a topic mention the brake bias valve can cause the brakes to bind. Would this be a symptom?

Can this be a fault of the ABS module?

Is it known for the Master Cylinder (or those items mentioned above) to stick after the car has been laid up for six months?

Thanks,

Clio
Hi

I did forget to say that the calipers move freely when I have the car jacked up. I have replaced the sliders as a precautionary measure as well. Both sides move freely. If the car has stood the brakes behave fine but if you use them like in stop start traffic they quickly start to drag.

I had this once on an old Land Rover and the issue was the master cylinder had failed and was not allowing fluid back.

Thanks,

Clio
Hi

Caliper dust seals looked okay and peeling them back to inspect what I could of the pistons didn't indicate any notable corrosion or pitting.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If both or all 4 calipers are dragging, and the pistons are free id be looking at the master cylinder. Ive had a faulty master make all 4 calipers stick on after a couple of month layup on my old R5gtt, no idea why i think it was due to age. Clio’s not the newest car now so getting to that age where stuff just breaks at random.

Clio
Hi

Possibly.

I have done some more digging around online and now unsure whether my car has a brake bias valve or if this is only for non-ABS equipped cars. My car is the "full fat" 182 so has ABS. Does this mean my car does not have a brake bias valve as this is a function of the ABS module?

Thanks,

Clio
Hi,

The front brake calipers are now rebuilt with new pistons and seals. Whilst the symptoms have improved they are not resolved.

Anyone able to advise on these symptoms?

Does the ABS pump fulfill the role of brake bias valve?

Can the ABS pump be bled without CLIP should I replace the brake master cylinder myself?

Is there a way I can test or identify whether the ABS pump has a fluid restriction?

Thanks,

Clio
Hi

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this, I discovered I misread the price for the RSTuner with ABS module. Total cost is circa £250 which means I will get a local garage to run through the test cycle for less.

Thanks,

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi

Just in case anyone else stumbles across this, I discovered I misread the price for the RSTuner with ABS module. Total cost is circa £250 which means I will get a local garage to run through the test cycle for less.

Thanks,

You can get lucky sometimes if someone is selling one.

I just picked up a RS Tuner with ABS and airbag module already installed for £100.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Clone clip is around half the price of that and the best tool for the job. Did you change the master cylinder?

Clio
Hi Brigsy,

I have the Master Cylinder on the way now (thanks to help in identifying part numbers etc.) so next is to work out can I do it myself or do I need to get someone who has the diagnostic equipment to bleed the ABS pump.

Where is the cloned Clip found?

Thanks,

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Just type in Ebay - Renault Clip

There is 100s that come up starting at around £70 to £200

A real genuine CAN CLIP will set you back £1000+ on ebay

Clio
Hi

Thanks. Any way to tell if one will work and another won't? Or do they tend to all work and not have any bogus versions around?

Thanks,

Hi,

The front brake calipers are now rebuilt with new pistons and seals. Whilst the symptoms have improved they are not resolved.

Anyone able to advise on these symptoms?

Does the ABS pump fulfill the role of brake bias valve?

Can the ABS pump be bled without CLIP should I replace the brake master cylinder myself?

Is there a way I can test or identify whether the ABS pump has a fluid restriction?

Thanks,
Mine rubbed after rebuilding calipers
turns out piston seals has to be fitted in the right direction, they look perfectly square to the eye but from what I read online they aren't.
Notice the yellow/white/red dots on the seals are also marked on the caliper, fit those to match.
Also the new seals I wanted to fit were too tight. Ended up reusing the original ones, they still look spotless after all these years.
And obviously make sure sliders move fine and piston/caliper housing are perfectly clean.

Clio
Hi

The fault was there before rebuilding the calipers. They now operate smooth to the hand and hold fluid fine.

I have done some reading on the clone clip and it doesn't look very positive. It seems very hit and miss about whether it works. Does anyone know if the iCarSoft i907 can operate the ABS bleed procedure?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Hi

The fault was there before rebuilding the calipers. They now operate smooth to the hand and hold fluid fine.

I have done some reading on the clone clip and it doesn't look very positive. It seems very hit and miss about whether it works. Does anyone know if the iCarSoft i907 can operate the ABS bleed procedure?

No, the i907 can't activate the pump. It only reads ABS faults.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The gold board/full chip clone clio work fine. Mine has been used loads on various different Renaults, no issues. The cheapest ones (under £100) with the green board are crap avoid them.