ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First time towing my car to the track...

Bit nervous TBH as I've never towed using a car transporter and I'll be alone, once picked up I'm gonna find somewhere to practice reversing and parking without the car loaded. Anyone any helpful tips and advice? I'll be using the below trailer hitched to my Mondeo...
Screenshot_2017-01-25-17-08-18.png

"If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can: drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass ( MAM ) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM. tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer andtowing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg."

Clio 182
I've got that trailer, it's a fair sized beast and will be a fair bit wider than your car so that's the main thing to be aware of when using country lanes/getting over for incoming traffic! Just use your mirrors a lot and go steady taking tight turns. Have you ever reversed with a trailer?

I've got that trailer, it's a fair sized beast and will be a fair bit wider than your car so that's the main thing to be aware of when using country lanes/getting over for incoming traffic! Just use your mirrors a lot and go steady taking tight turns. Have you ever reversed with a trailer?
Nope, been googling all day though so get the gist. Hands at the bottom of the wheel using small inputs, right hand up (left lock) brings trailer right, left hand up, (right lock) brings the trailer left?

Clio 182
Yes, basically the trailer will go the opposite way to which way you turn the wheel....does take some getting used to but if you're smart about it you shouldn't need to do much!
If you do try and reverse round right hand corners so to speak so you can look over your shoulder and see where the trailer is easier.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Best thing to do is get some practice like you said to get a feel for the trailer and reversing. Easy to read up on but not taking the turn off quick enough soon has things going slightly off course. Key is to not rush, just stop and maybe draw forward / readjust and go again.
As long as your sensible and smooth with your driving and remember its there and to give yoursef plenty slace you'll be fine.

Thats the same trailer as I use, CT136HD. Tows really well, had a few compliments from people that have borrowed mine.

Key is also to have the car sitting right. You dont want it bang in the middle over the axles, slightly forward to put some weight on the tow bar. With the stops I usually have them in the middle or one forward from the middle for my clio.

Best thing to do is get some practice like you said to get a feel for the trailer and reversing. Easy to read up on but not taking the turn off quick enough soon has things going slightly off course. Key is to not rush, just stop and maybe draw forward / readjust and go again.
As long as your sensible and smooth with your driving and remember its there and to give yoursef plenty slace you'll be fine.

Thats the same trailer as I use, CT136HD. Tows really well, had a few compliments from people that have borrowed mine.

Key is also to have the car sitting right. You dont want it bang in the middle over the axles, slightly forward to put some weight on the tow bar. With the stops I usually have them in the middle or one forward from the middle for my clio.
Cheers mate, any pics of the Clio loaded?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Got quite a few pics, heres some below

Attachments

• IMG_8466.JPG
    IMG_8466.JPG
    388.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7601.JPG
    IMG_7601.JPG
    666.4 KB · Views: 116

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
as said take your time. remember that the back of the trailer kicks out a lot more than you think. don't turn in too tight and when reversing if you are unsure always get out for a look.
better to get out 10 times and get it right than to be embarrassed and hit something.
good luck

I presume your towing a clio? Rule of thumb for me with a trailer of that length is b pillar in line with rear axle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Spend a little time with the car on the trailer and roll it back and forth to get the noseweight right. You want 50-75kg, so either use a scale, or guess based on what you know you can lift and how it feels.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Looks like it has the spring clips on the no plate holder, just slots in. Bottom edge in first, push down on the spring then push in and release so the plates clamped. Really simple ones

Looks like it has the spring clips on the no plate holder, just slots in. Bottom edge in first, push down on the spring then push in and release so the plates clamped. Really simple ones
Cheers mate, presume I could just use the plate of my tow car instead of getting one made up?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I tow all the time with work vans, towing a large caravan. Not allowed to do so off site because I'm a yoof but still.

You'll be reet. Just take it slow.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Yeah thats possible, as your rear plate on the car wont be visible anyway. Depends if its stuck or screwed on to your car for how much hassle it is haha. Also if you depend towing more in future be worth getting one made

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
Also when towing take account that you don't want to be clipping the apex of corners as you would in a car, you'll need to be wider going round corners, otherwise the trailer will be mounting curbs, pavements etc, hope that makes sense?
Like everyone has said take your time and you'll be fine.

dan's cast offs.
get a good run up for the ramps when you load the car, ideally hit them at about 50mph to get it on in one go.

also get someone to film you while you do it :tonguewink::tonguewink:

on a serious note, you doing oulton in feb? 24th ish?

get a good run up for the ramps when you load the car, ideally hit them at about 50mph to get it on in one go.

also get someone to film you while you do it :tonguewink::tonguewink:

on a serious note, you doing oulton in feb? 24th ish?
Missed out on the 24th of Feb mate as it was fully booked, so went with the novice on the 17th instead.

"If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can: drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass ( MAM ) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM. tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer andtowing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg."

What's the MAM of the trailer you've hired ? What's the kerb weight of your towing car ? Does it exceed 3,500kg ?

Just asking as i had a trailer with a MAM of 2000kg and the kerb weight of my towing car was abount 1700kg so that put me over the 3,500 kg !

I passed my test in 1999.

What's the MAM of the trailer you've hired ? What's the kerb weight of your towing car ? Does it exceed 3,500kg ?

Just asking as i had a trailer with a MAM of 2000kg and the kerb weight of my towing car was abount 1700kg so that put me over the 3,500 kg !

I passed my test in 1999.
Trailer weighs 540kg (2600kg gross)
Tow car weighs 1470kg
Clio weighs, around 1050kg (No interior and 1 x Corbeau seat, MSV cage, light weight 15" wheels)
I weigh 90kg
Spare wheels and tools 80kg max

Total 3230kg

Trailer weighs 540kg (2600kg gross)
Tow car weighs 1470kg
Clio weighs, around 1050kg (No interior and 1 x Corbeau seat, MSV cage, light weight 15" wheels)
I weigh 90kg
Spare wheels and tools 80kg max

Total 3230kg

So 2600kg + 1470kg = 4070kg

I'm surprised the trailer hire company allowed that as they normally require drivers to have B+E entitlement.