ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT on Emissions

172 Cup
Afternoon!

My Clio failed MOT today on emissions (amongst a few other small bits).

Spec is:
2004 172 Cup 105K miles
Standard Exhuast (although non OEM replacement)
Standard CAT
Recently replaced 2 x Lambda
Cup racer style Induction kit with Ph1 airbox (relocated battery to boot)

Results are below (failed on CO level):
IMG-20150911-00060.JPG

What would be the best course of action to bring it within the MOT requirements. I have added a bottle of Petrol system cleaner to the tank already.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You could chance it and give the car a really good warm up before getting it re tested.

Replace spark plugs. clean the lamda sensors depending on how new they are. Coil pack possibly.

172 Cup
Haha if only you could still get away with that!
I'm going to change the plugs then see if I can get it nice and warm before testing.
Stupid question but what causes a high CO reading?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
My 182 'fails' the CO2 test every year, but the tester knows its a good car and he will take it out for a blast and bring it back and test again and it passes.

172 Cup
As far a I knoweth cat is original. Don't think it's that though as it passed everything but CO

Clio 172
The hydrocarbons are getting higher between fast idle 1 and 2 which is normally indication of unburnt fuel and would say very normal if a touch high but not to worry about. And the Co goes sky high which is normally the indication of a knackered cat or worst case burnt oil in the emissions, for example rings or valves stems but you'd see this for that to happen.

My bet is it needs a cat, I'm sure you don't have worn engine internals and if the engine was running incorrectly such qs poor timing, missfire etc there would be an eml. Though if you opt for a pattern/aftermarket/race cat it will need to get very got hot to get within the limit of 0.20 and don't tend to last around 10 years which a genuine oem cat does.
Those additives are more or less a load of crap, that 15 min drive it tells you to do after pouring it in does all the work.... Getting the cat to temp and the ecu controlling fuel etc at its optimum rate.

Clio 172
Just for a general reference.
CO fail normally means cat aging or failed/burning oil/other engine issue
HC fail normally means unburnt fuel which can lead to premature cat failure and is normally pickup via the ecu unless it's been mapped
Lambda fail normally indicates an exhaust leak or other engine issue

Those are just a general reference and the first things I would test or consider depending on what emissions wise it failed.

Last edited:
  Clio 172
If the tester has done all he can to ensure the engine and cat are as warm as possible he can't 'make' a car fail on emissions so won't matter what tester you get.
I guarantee a new cat will sort that

172 Cup
Yea I took it for a proper run before hand, and the tester was running it for 30 mins odd trying to get some heat in the cat!

Clio 172
Ah so he's done all he can without changing parts! If the levels are still roughly the same get yourself a cat on there, report back.

172 Cup
Managed to get it booked in for re-test this morning! All passed and good to go.
Hate to think how much it would have cost if I wasn't able to do the work myself (the parts needed came to £300 alone (needed a new rear calliper and a few other bits also!).

Listerine & Poledo
If only you'd get a spare VW Badge kicking about, you could have avoided all that buggering about