ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust to loud

Clio Sport 172
As title says my exhaust is to loud. I need to make it quieter for track days as I’m pretty sure I will get black flagged for it.

Car is a 172 ph2 running a decat 2.5” exhaust and power flow backbox. Reason I went with the power flow was because of its size and having it exiting through the centre I didn’t want something massive. I will also add the car does also have a mid silencer. What are my solutions as don’t really want to be changing my exhaust system as i have custom made it all.

Thanks
076c32741186c1551bcbb5e6731d702d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
How loud do you think it is?

My Milltek with only the back boxes, so straight through, is around 95-98dB.

Clio Sport 172
It’s 104db static. Fitting the cat back on isn’t an option I should of added.

Clio Sport 172
No [emoji23] standard manifold, decat 2.5” exhaust with silencer and power flow backbox. I’m in 2 minds whether to cut the the rear silencer open and pack it out abit? I’m not sure to be honest just need it quieter!?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Must be tiny silencer and backbox ?

Straight through Yozza's aren't even that loud.

Clio Sport 172
On an app which I kno probably isn’t the best idea but I used it at the time because I knew it was louder than my old exhaust

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
For reference mine is 103db static, 2.25" Janspeed system with no mid box, 2.5" de-cat, 182 manifold (which is usually louder from experience).

Go down to the track when they have a day on and get it tested with their equipment, best way to know what you're working with.

Clio Sport 172
Thanks for the advice guys I’ll report back with what I do to rectify it[emoji16] hoping to do another track day soon at Donington so I’ll keep you all posted

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You will need to add a bigger/better silencer or another silencer to drop the db level if you dont want to refit cat. Powerflow back boxes usually dont do much. Im in the same situation with my kangoo, one large rear silencer with stealth sytle tip but still very loud 99db static.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
I doubt it’s louder than my old exhaust. I only had a problem on one track day. The exhaust was custom made with decat, no middle silencer and tiny back box. I only got flagged at Donington on a quiet track day.
For the rest of the day I had to let off down the pit straight and it was ok the rest of the day.
Oulton and Anglesey it was fine.

Now I run the same decat match up to a 2.5 pms exhaust and it’s a little quieter. Even with intercom when your flat out it’s hard to hear

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Donnington is always s**t hot for noise, I got black flagged going 98.3db on the main straight in my Extra van a few years ago. I think the key is to lift a bit on the straight in something thats borderline noise wise. Not been back since prefer Cadwell - no bother there pass 105db static and away you go.