ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust options?

2003 Clio 172
So just to carry on my recent run of Clio related bad luck, my exhaust has started blowing it's t*ts off a couple of weeks before MOT time ? I don't have access to axle stands unfortunately, but from crouching and having a look underneath it looks like it has a scabby looking standard system. Certainly not stainless as back box is rusty as fek. Blow sounds like it's coming from middle/rear section.

Looks like I'm going to have to shell out for a complete system, so just wondering what my options are ideally for not mega money. There doesn't seem to be as many exhaust options with the 172 as the 182 unfortunately. Recessed would be nice, but tbh beggars can't be choosers. May have to go down second hand route if I can find one ?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I can’t renemver tbh mate. When I had a phase 1 I bought a phase 2 exhaust, probably a Ktec. The hangers were slightly different, think one didn’t fit and the others did, I think anyway :/.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
a Ktec recessed second hand is cheaper?

Only experience I’ve had of sportex was a centre on a ep3, was fine lol

clio 172
I had a Sportex system on my 172 when I first bought her,good system,sounded great,nice deep tone,only reason I changed it was the back box went as made of mild steel,don’t think they have a long shelf life so bought a super sport ktec,but for the money sportex a good system

2003 Clio 172
Think I'm edging more towards shelling out for a new Ktec recessed supersport cat back unless a used one turns up in the next couple of days. Granted they're north of 300 notes, but you do get a lifetime guarantee with them.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I paid about £400 for a custom made full system for my old Clio, which included a decat pipe that did come in handy! I also had a cat back for my Octavia vRS done at the same place and that was like £300 and then a full system of my E34 535i. If you can get to junction 18 of the M4 easy I would definately reccomend Infinity Exhausts.

2003 Clio 172
There's a place in Cardiff called Pro Speed exhausts. May be worth me popping in for a chat with them as they build custom exhausts and seem to have a decent rep.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Charlie is really good. He did an exhaust for my R53 and it was spot on.

I cant remember the exact price but I think it was 350.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2003 Clio 172
Just been down to Pro Speed and had a chat with Charlie. He's doing me a 2.25" bore cat back with a 3" slash cut recessed tailpipe for £340 all in. He's even doing it overnight for me tomorrow, so will drop car off at tea time and pick up on Wednesday morning. Top bloke ??

2003 Clio 172
One last decision to make. I'm keeping the standard cat for now (may decat ofter mot), but should I go for resonated or non resonated? I want it to be louder than standard with a nice tone, but not obnoxiously deafening. Do I go for a centre silencer or not? Thoughts?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Mine is non resonated and decat 2.25" custom exhaust with back box only on my kangoo. Its loud and boomy at motorway speeds but sounds good with foot down. It pulled 99db at 5k when first built not sure what its like now its carboned up a bit. Cat will knock a few dbs off but generally custom back boxes are usually straight through so will still be loud.

2003 Clio 172
I'll go with non resonated, as said above can always get silencer welded in if my ears start to bleed lol. Tbh, I want it loud anyway, otherwise I'd stick with something more standard. Not concerned about track day noise limits or anything as doubt she'll ever see a track ?

2003 Clio 172
20180618_151814.jpg
Got the car back today and the exhaust is spot on. Not too loud, but has a nice tone to it. Charlie's workmanship is spot on and I would definitely recommend him.