ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ethernet cable, which one for 2018

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
For the past quit a few years I’ve been using the Cat6. What’s the current go to spec of Ethernet cable at the moment? I’ve noticed that there’s cat6a or e and cat7 now.

Mainly for home use, current Fibre speed is around average of 60 to 70 mbps.

Do i stick with cat6 or move up?

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
For the past quit a few years I’ve been using the Cat6. What’s the current go to spec of Ethernet cable at the moment? I’ve noticed that there’s cat6a or e and cat7 now.

Cat6 will be more than enough.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The step up from cat6 is fibre. I work in a Data Centre and we still have 80% copper so I very much doubt you’re ever going to need anything more than cat5 or even cat5e at a stretch

As James said, you can run gig through cat5e which you’ll probably never need unless you’re commercial data or downloading a metric fuckton of p**n off the back of a DC lol

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5

you could even downgrade to cat 5 and be fine. As said above cat 6 is capable of 1000mbps.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Awesome help for the info, thanks for that. I presumed the higher the number the better it will be. I’ll be needing some much shorter cable so this time so I’ll be getting cat5e. Is the cable the same of quality regardless of where you get it from and make and price. I got some cat5e from the Plusnet router box I could use that??

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
What are you intending to use the cable for? If you're using it for a PC then anything cat5 upwards will be fine

The price of cable is that cheap now you could literally buy a drum of 305m for £50 some RJ45 connectors and know that you've done a proper job. That's what I do at home, all my cable is the perfect length and neat too

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
If you aren’t running 10gig switches then anything other than cat5e is potentially overkill, stick with your cat6 if that’s what’s your already running as it wont do any harm and it keeps it all the same :)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The cable is for just for my PS4 and PC at the minute. I’ve just been using the one cable for the PS4 and going WiFi for the PC, but want both wired when in the new room.
The cat6 I got at the minute is about 10 metres long. I’m moving out soon and that length is way too long, I’ll be needing about 3 to 5 metres In my new room. I don’t want any excess cable loose that’s all.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
The step up from cat6 is fibre. I work in a Data Centre and we still have 80% copper so I very much doubt you’re ever going to need anything more than cat5 or even cat5e at a stretch

As James said, you can run gig through cat5e which you’ll probably never need unless you’re commercial data or downloading a metric fuckton of p**n off the back of a DC lol

Not have any Cat6a in your place yet then? Done quite a lot in DCs over the past couple of years now..

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Not have any Cat6a in your place yet then? Done quite a lot in DCs over the past couple of years now..

We only use it for external works, patching or between data halls. Most of the other stuff we only need 2m lengths so it’s not really needed

We’re moving to full fibre soon so all our old patching will be replaced by fibre and then fibre switches and new QFX routers instead of copper Cisco 6500 which take up full f**king cabs on their own[emoji23]

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
can I hi-jack a little.

so ive got a brand new BT HH and ive ran a cat5 cable to my workshop. I need something to go on the workshop end to provide internet.

I used to use an old BT HH 4, but are there any better solutions out there?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
can I hi-jack a little.

so ive got a brand new BT HH and ive ran a cat5 cable to my workshop. I need something to go on the workshop end to provide internet.

I used to use an old BT HH 4, but are there any better solutions out there?

depends,

if you want it for your home network then the cat5 would limit you to 100mbps network speed, in which case a homehub 4 will suffice as a wireless access point.

If its so you can have wireless in your workshop, then unless any of your devices are wireless AC compatible, then repurpose your hub 4 as above.

otherwise, get another bt smart hub (new name instead of hub 6) off ebay, loads of people unload them for cheap when they get them.