ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP + SERV light - Fault code reader

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

I've done a search on this but most results have an ABS light as well. I did have an ABS light too but replaced the brake pedal sensor and this has now gone.

So I seemingly randomly get just the SERV and ESP lights on, sometimes the light stays on when turning the car off and on and sometimes it goes off. Is there anything other than the ABS rings I can physically check?

I have a budget diagnostic tool which doesn't show any codes but can clear the lights. Can anyone recommend a tool that can read this? iCarsoft or 'Clip'?

Thanks!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Buy a full chip clone clip off ebay, around £120ish. You will need an old Xp or win7 32bit laptop for the software. Avoid the cheapest under £100 clone clip as they crash and break easy.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
So the light went off for about a week. Today I was chasing a rattle in the passenger footwell and noticed the lights had come back on.

I noticed that if I jiggled the cables going into the squib and flicked the ignition on, the lights would go off. But when I replaced the cover that goes behind the steering wheel they came back on again. Now they are on no matter what I do. Bad connection or faulty squib?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Side note: the cruise control and speed limiter still work with the light on. From reading around this is quite unusual

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hooked it up to an icarsoft i907 today. There were a lot of fault codes stored for various things, I assumed they are all just old codes that hadn't been cleared (Airbag, missfires etc) so I cleared everything and went for a drive. I ran the diagnostic again and the only code that came back was 5111 which is the only one the bloody diagnostic cannot read!

Anyone know what this is?

dr54pvw

ClioSport Club Member
  2004 Clio 182 FF
Hooked it up to an icarsoft i907 today. There were a lot of fault codes stored for various things, I assumed they are all just old codes that hadn't been cleared (Airbag, missfires etc) so I cleared everything and went for a drive. I ran the diagnostic again and the only code that came back was 5111 which is the only one the bloody diagnostic cannot read!

Anyone know what this is?
I had that code - my problem was ESP+SERV lights coming on with turning the wheel at a certain speed. My steering angle sensor was reading -81000 deg. Bought a clone clip and an old laptop. Managed to reset a replacement steering angle sensor, and its all sorted now.

Note that iCarsoft RTII says it can reset steering angle sensors, but Clio II 2003 onwards isn't supported. My car is 2004 so i had to resort to clone clip.

Now that's sorted it's given me the green light to sort all the other stuff with it!

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
I had that code - my problem was ESP+SERV lights coming on with turning the wheel at a certain speed. My steering angle sensor was reading -81000 deg. Bought a clone clip and an old laptop. Managed to reset a replacement steering angle sensor, and its all sorted now.

Note that iCarsoft RTII says it can reset steering angle sensors, but Clio II 2003 onwards isn't supported. My car is 2004 so i had to resort to clone clip.

Now that's sorted it's given me the green light to sort all the other stuff with it!

Okay great, min SERV and ESP seem to come on whenever they feel like. I'll take a look at getting another sensor on the cheap. I've actually replaced the entire squib inc steering angle sensor about a year ago and I managed to reset it manually using the orange/blue indicator thingy.

Does anyone know if the angle sensor is generic to all mkII or 182 specific?

Thanks!

Kangoo, XJ, Jeep GC
Can anyone who has a Clip ‘clone’ post an eBay link to one that they’d recommend ? There seems to be plenty of choice out there. Some I suspect is garbage, some I’m sure will be ok, but for those of us not familiar with code readers are unlikely to know what’s good and what’s not.
Thanks.